Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been reading for probably 3 hours now about IBS, and I've come to the conclusion that I am probably a sufferer. I meet many of the symptoms. I have had HORRIBLE lower abdomen pains and D since age 13. They used to be horrible when I first got it, then it went away for the longest time (I was in a relationship that made me extremely happy and I was in the best shape of my life) I am now 18, and have put on a good bit of weight in the past couple of years. I recently graduated High School and participated in a college options program as a senior. I had a tough year adapting to the difficulty level of college calculus and I have been more stressed than usual in this new situation. I have recently in the past month or so experienced a fairly regular occurance of the symptoms again, and tonite after another attack, I was compelled to do something about it. Seeing that I've experienced a good 5 year period of virtual remission (with VERY few incidents) I believe that if this is my problem, then I am fortunate to have a mild case. Having read many of your stories, I sympathize, and I am inspired by your ability to take this syndrome head-on! Basically, I am just wondering everyone's opinion on my case. Do you feel I have IBS? And if I do, it is definitely D. Please advise guys! I need some help here!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another important thing is to not be embarassed talking to your doctor.Make sure you mention all your symptoms, even if it makes you uncomfortable.You will get through this, and seeing your doctor is definately the first step.SAI

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I know how you feel. I didn't tell anyone for a while and then it all got too much. I did eventually go to the docotor. The tests aren't too nice but at least u'll know. It was only then that i was diagnosed with IBS although i had mysuspicions.I too am 18 so i know how hard it can make your life. I 've had it since i was 15. I am living in England, bit am about to start university in October. So am fairly worried about the stress then, because i won't be living at home.So, my advice to you is: To see your Doc, or at least make an appt today. Stop Worrying, it'll only make it worse. Try and keep your chin up, because its not the end of the world. People have normal lives with this affliction. I know i do.!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will definitely make an appointment with my doctor...although I'm definitely not looking forward to the colonoscopy! lol Thanks again, and I'll let you all know what I find out!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Colonoscopy sounds real bad...and the prep isn't exactly fun.But the procedure itself is nothing...All I remember is getting an IV ...then waking up and going home.A lot better than getting teeth drilled.As far as college goes...I am 20 now and moved to NYC to live on my own and go to college...Believe it or not, I feel better now than I ever have!!!!SAI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.