Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help as IBS has always affected both my personal and professional life (at least since i was diagnosed in 2005) but now it seems to have gotten worse. I am a 38 year old male. I got a promotion at work and the work is much more stressful so all of the stress is affecting my body. The other day after eating lunch (it was about 2 oclock) my stomach started rumbling and i started to walk to the restroom. But before i could make it, i defecated on myself and it was a nightmare. It was everywhere- all over me, the stall, the toilet. I was literally shaking like a leaf. And all kept thinking about was how was i going to get out of the stall, to get to my desk to grab my car keys and get out of the building without anyone seeing or smelling what had happened. It was the most traumatic experience i've ever had. Luckily I only had to run past one person that i knew, and i've called in sick every day this week. I am so afraid to go back into the building and face anyone there or to relive the experience. I was embarrassed, mortified, humiliated. I have avoided any travel that is associated with this job, but our big team meeting is in another state and i can't get out of this one. My fear is that this will happen again on the plane, or in the hotel, or worse, in the rental car with other fellow employees. I take Imodium everyday just to compensate for any problems that may arise. But being in a new building for the team meeting i will not know where all of the bathrooms are, they want us to eat lunch and dinner together. And this goes on for four days. I can't not eat for four days.What can I do? What can I eat that will be tame on my stomach? I really wish there was a way to get out of going but there isn't.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hi WelcomeI'm sure there are things that can help you. Have you tried taking the imodium WITH your meals yet? I use the tablets and I cut them down as I need to. Sometimes a whole tablet would be too much for me with each meal. (I bought a pill cutter at the pharmacy.) Do this for a few days leading up to the trip at the least. You could start trying that right away to see if it helps the imodium work better for you. I find imodium can cause me cramping so I use an anti-gas product WITH it.Meals.. I would stay low fat, no cream sauces or dressings.. and avoid any other known triggers you have. Stay with steamed or boiled veggies rather than raw salads. At restaurants... ASK question of the wait staff before ordering. Ask how a dish is prepared if the menu doesn't say etc. Take the imodium (and gas X or whathaveAnd/you or use the Imodoium Advanced) with meals.As far as the flight goes.. just let your flight attendant know that you have a stomach condition that sometimes requires an urgent need for the bathroom. Drive the rental car yourself or if that isn't possible.. you will have to let your co-workers know that you have a chronic stomach problem that is flaring at the moment & may require a quick stop. It isn't the end of the world to tell others. And in fact you may feel less stress having told them. I would definitely let your boss know without question. You don't have to get real specific.. just leave it at "stomach condition" or something else more vague even.OR.. rent your own rental car... (unfortunately even if you let your boss know before hand, you might have to pay for this out of pocket) to drive to the meeting. You could do the same for a hotel room if it makes you feel more comfortable. If you can.. just get to the meeting a bit before hand and then inquire as to the location of the men's room. OR if this mtg will be at a public venue.... call them ahead of time and ask the locations of the restrooms.Google the city where the meeting will be taking place and look for public restrooms along the route from the hotel to the mtg location.The key with any trip I find is planning for problems but not 'expecting' them. Some things I usually do before a trip:I let folks I will be with know that my gut is flaring up, that I will have on occasion have an urgent need for a BR and I can't always eat what I want. I find public restrooms for travel ahead of time. I make a list of all of the things I will need to have with me.. like imodium, supplements, wipes extra clothes etc.. I think positive... yes I have had accidents... but.. when I look at ALL of the times I havd Diarrhea... the accidents are well within the definition of "rare".The best thing I do is plan ... rather than project fear. Staying calm is key. I am also going to move this threa to our Working & Careers Forum for you.All the best

·
Registered
414 Posts
If it was me, I would take extra immodiums on the day that i had to go and get up really early - like hours before you are due to go. So at least you will have time to go a few times and time for the tablets to kick in. I wouldn't eat very much either the day before, I know they say you shouldn't do that but I had to and it was the only way of reducing the quantity. It helped my mind a bit anyway as there was less to come out. Do you know which building the meeting is going to be held in? Is it a hotel or something similar. Again if it was me, I would find the phone number and phone them and say that you are visiting the building with a relative and they are disabled and you need to know what facilities they have. Most buildings have to have disabled toilets and there isn't usually a queue. They are larger and more discreet as well and always have toilet paper in. I always tend to dive into those if things are urgent. I'm from the Uk and I'm not sure where you are from so i might not be the same for you? You could explain that you will need to know where the toilets are situated in the building so you can plan ahead for them. I would ring for someone else as it dosen't seem so embarassing - stupid I know.Greasy foods and spicy foods really do annoy me as well so i would stay away from anything like that.Hope that helps a little bit and I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Claire

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi,I can't give you any better suggestions for short term solutions than those from BQ and Claire; but I can say that I have enjoyed over 10 years of no D (after 10 years of constant D) with a flavonoid supplement designed for cholesterol control but with some bonus anti-inflammatory properties which may include a-i for the colon. It took a year to completely eliminate the D; but I was able to rejoin the workforce over that first summer, rather than staying home, freaking out. It has continued to keep my condition improving each to the point where I am now back to 1-2s a day, pretty much no matter what I eat or drink. Let me know if you want more details.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there - so sorry to hear about the troubles you've had at work. I have often faced similar circumstances. Some literature my doctor gave me indicates that eating a salad after a meal instead of before can reduce your chances of an attack. The roughage is too hard on an IBS body. Also, see if you can get a Rx for some anti-spasmotics. I'm on one and it seems to work pretty well - not 100%, but a hell of a lot closer than I was before I was on it. I'm on one called Symax. I used to take Bentyl and life on Bentyl was wonderful, but it made me drowsy/loopy. I would say have a candid conversation with your dr about your concerns/anxieties and see if together you can come up with a plan for your trip.Stay away from alcohol on the trip, and away from trigger foods both before & on the trip. Take Immodium in the mornings and before almost anything you ingest. When I travel, I usually have a whole kit full of my IBS needs - my meds, wipes, Immodium + other stomach aids (since I sometimes vomit too - I have gastritis as well as IBS). If I know I'm going to be in a situation that'd be difficult for me to handle an attack, I usually stay away from dairy, pastas, caffeine etc beforehand.Hope this helps.-A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.