Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my tooth extracted on Friday under anesthesia and will be put on narcotics for a few days after. I'm so scared because they cause so much pain and constipation. Any suggestions what I can do during this time to lesson the constipation. I'm really desperate!!Under normal circumstances I live on a bottle of Mag Citrate everyday, but with the narcotics its not going to work as well. Has anyone got any suggestions or been through this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't take the narcotic. I have had three wisdom teeth pulled and i just take advil. It really isn't that big of deal most of the time. The one time it hurt a little more than the others i would get through the day with some advil perhaps a hot compress and then take half the pain pill before bed so I could sleep through the throbbing. And ask the dentist for a mild pain killer. You dont need overkill pain meds and if you do you can always call him back. Jenkins

·
Registered
153 Posts
i had my teeth out under general anesthetic. they were really impacted so it hurt a lot. i couldn't keep anything down, so i had to stop the narcotic, which was fun. so here's what i did for pain:advil, lots of itfrozen peas, they form right to your facea pillow of each side of your head and one under your chin when you sleep, then you don't roll onto your facemilkshakes and slurpeesgood luck. i hope yours don't hurt as bad as mine did. some people do just fine without the Tylenol #3's.karen

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ADVICE.I'm being such a baby, I'm just having a regular back tooth pulled because its had a crown for years and there's decay causing ongoing toothache. I am having it done under anesthesia (told you I'm a big baby!)
I feel so much better now and hope not to need the narcotics. Thank you sooo much!

·
Registered
830 Posts
my husband just had three molars extracted on monday and did fine with just some advil, ice cream and ice packs. good luck, g-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.