Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it all began for me when I was 10yrs old. Chronic stomachaces, constipation, neasua. The doctors had NO CLUE. Finally, after an upper GI series, my family dr. diagnosed me with an ulcer. One year of Tagament and Maloxx seemed to do the trick. But then, in high school, around age 17ish I started feeling sick everytime I ate. It got to the point were I was either eating crackers and water or nothing at all. I finally went back to the dr. when I was 19. An inital daignosis of an ulcer. Eventhough, I did not have the bacteria (H-Pilori) that they now know causes ulcers. Another upper GI series, two different ulcer medications, that were not working and I finally gave up. Few months later, back at the doctor in major pain. Blood work showed really low blod count so they supected internal bleeding. Did a scope down my throat, found no ulcer! (suprise)They moved on to suspecting my gallbladder, looked for stones, nothing. Finally, did an HB scan with CCK. Decided I have an abnormally functioning gall bladder. Surgery. Follow up visit to the surgeon...says my gallbladder looked completely normal!But, went a few more years with no pain...unless I over ate or ate to much fatty stuff. Now, my problem is back. 7 months ago at my best fried's wedding, I had diarreha so bad, we did not think I was going to make it standing at the alter. I even made her late to the church, because I had to ask the limo driver to make a stop so that I could "go".
I have since been diagnosed with IBS. I have lost 10lbs. I am taking a tsp. of Citrcel twice a day and pepsid twice a day. I have cut soda, caffeine, spicy foods, fried food, most veggies and fruits, dairy, onions, garlic, and more out of my diet. And I am still suffering from alternating bouts of diarreha and constipation. I had about one good month in the past 7. I have started doing yoga 3 times a week in an attempt to reduce stress. My doctor does not want to put me on medication and I would rather not be on it if I dont have to be.But, I am getting married in July, and I DO NOT want to be sick for my wedding and honeymoon. Can anyone suggest something that I may not be trying? I would really love any diet suggestions.
Thanks!Lina

·
Registered
295 Posts
Lina, thanks for bringing up the topic. I was going to get around to asking about myself. I am getting married in June and I have already told my husband-to-be that I will probably be spending our first night together as a couple in the bathroom. He is used to it by now but I don't want to be sick on my wedding day.I am interested in seeing what response you get. I have IBS-D, by the way and no medication that I have tried so far seems to help.Carly

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Calcium can help firm things up but you may have D and C because you may take something to stop the D and that may give you C and back and forth you go.Calcium is no cure just a control and it can work very well and if it is bile salts diarrhea the calcium will soak up some of the excess bile since the GB is gone and you no longer have tha storage sac for that purpose.You must consider every thing you are taking and check for side effects even OTC things like vitamins, A,C&E mylanta for magnesium content.I can help you go over what you may be taking and try to help if you would like to email me. Or here if you like.LindaLinda

·
Registered
497 Posts
LinaQA, your story paralels mine almost exactly. I started out with stomach problems and the doctor diagnosed me with acid-reflux. I took prilosec, and it seemed to be ok for a bit. Then, I had major problems again and the doctors took out my gallbladder. After that, I was ok for a bit if I didn't eat too fatty of foods, but then started having problems a few years ago again. I didn't really have much C, but it did occur sometimes. Mostly it was D -- and that's where we may differ; but it sounds like almost the exact same story and symptoms.A combination of Questran and now Mike's HT tapes have been working wonders for me. I don't know what I would do without them. My doctor tried me on antispasmatics first, which had some effect -- they could probably get you through your wedding if you were very careful what you ate that day. I also tried loading up on immodium on important days, which seemed to work mostly.However, Questran has really been the lifesaver. Talk to your doctor about it -- it can't hurt to try it out. Plus, unlike many other of the treatments, you'll know if Questran is working in the first week. You could have more than one thing going on. You may have bile salt D from your lack of gallbladder, which the Questran would fix. You could also have IBS, which causes the constipation. Its hard to isolate problems, and many of us have multiple things going on. The most important thing you can do is try to relax. I'm sure you're body will find some extra resources on your wedding day to make it a wonderful day. I used to get so stressed out when important events came up. I would be so nervous right before the event and go to the bathroom numerous times. However, once things started, my body would realize its important and find whatever it needed to put off my symptoms.But try Questran -- it may be the lifesaver you are looking for. If not that, your doctor may try you on levsin or another antispasmatic, which may or may not work for you immediately.Keep us updated!BackFire44

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just trying to find a way myself to make it through bikini season withuot bloating (I'm C). I've learned a lot from this board in just 2 weeks and I use every day as a practice run to see if I can find a way to eat so that I get as little bloating as possible. It's working great too! You could do that with your D. I find the best thing for a one day thing is to just eat as little as possible for the day before and the day after. Fasting is actually healthy once in a while and if there's nothing in there it can't come out right? It's hard, but just for a couple days and you only get married once. Try it first though. As for the yoga do you like it? I didn't like it for relaxing, some of the positions were too much work. Good luck...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jamie, I love yoga. I do it 3 times a week. 2 of the classes can be challenging, but I take one aroma yoga class that is very relaxing. It is sometimes difficult for me to go when my guts are hurting, but it always seems to help me get my mind off of it when I do go even to the more chalenging ones. The breathing really helps me. I also used to be on paxil for anxiety, but it seemed to make me depressed. So I came off of it. Backfire, it really does sond like we have had a very similar experience. About 3 months ago my doctor gave me an antispasmatic. But, I try not to take meds if I don't have to. I did have to take it yesterday and it seemed to help a lilttle bit. But, today again, I am C. This has been on and off for me for 2 weeks now. A day or 2 of C then one day in the bathroom 3-5 times, then another day or two of C. I was hoping I would be having better days by now

·
Registered
497 Posts
The antispasmatics worked best for me the longer that I took it. I don't think sporadic use of them really offers much help. The questran is great because it doesn't enter your bloodstream -- therefore it has none of the side effects that antispasmatics have.BackFire44

·
Registered
290 Posts
LinaQA,I take my calcium to have a BM sometimes, that may work for you for the C. Yet I want to ask if you are taking digestive enzymes ? That, and lots of water will help so much with your C. If I feel I am eating too much protein (my trigger food) I drink about a gallon of water a day, take my enzymes and calcium and it's all better. Using Citrucel is a great idea, yet for me, it will only work for 1-2 days in a row, then nothing, so I trade off if needed. I am trying to just drink my water, eat small meals and avoid the trigger foods. I am C though, no D for me.........yes Backfire, sometimes I wish for D only cause it's so awful to have the C and be bloated most the time (especially with my job). I know I would be just as miserable with the D though !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.