Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I must inform someone about my IBS, people often react to the term "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" as if it was just a little annoyance - I get the "..take some pepto bismal and you'll be all fixed up"-attitude! Has anyone else run into this, and if you have, have you come up with any other terminology or phrases to use to convey the seriousness of the disorder? I have used the term "explosive D", but that just makes people recoil in horror! Gastro Intestinal Disorder is kinda nebulous. Please advise me - I would appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
How about: a chronic digestive disorder? I'm on a low carb diet to control some of the D-attacks, and when people need to know why (because they think it's just another fad diet) I tell them that I have a chronic digestive disorder and that this diet helps a bit. If they then still want to know more I just tell them that I have chronic D (hey, they asked for it).Fay

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've explained it as this: a digestive disorder with symptoms like food poisoning. They hear the latter part and suddenly understand. At least for a while!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
like Fay, I use chronic digestive condition. I use the chronic to make sure people understand that no, taking pepto or anything else won't make it go away for the long term. and it's something I've lived with and will continue to live with and I know best how to handle it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My line:"I have got really, really screwed up guts."My friends say:"She has the hair color and skin of a 30 year old with the guts of a 90 year old." (Althought I've known many 90 year olds with better guts than mine.)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have called it colitis even though that's not what it is. People seemed to be more understanding when I said it, though. If they asked, "what's that?" I would say, "a chronic inflammation in my intestines." That usually settled it. Besides, IBS was originally called Spastic Colon or Spastic Colitis, so it isn't a totally complete lie, right?
Also, like others I might also tell people I have a chronic digestive problem which makes me feel like I'm having food poisoning all the time. People DO understand food poisoning so that works well, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.