Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Help: I think I have IBS

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  cookies4marilyn 
#1 ·
Hi, I would just like to share what I've been going through right now. And I also have a few questions that hopefully I could get an answer..It's been months already or maybe it's been almost a year since I started suffering from IBS. When I didn't know anything about IBS, I thought there was something wrong with what I'm eating or that I might have a hemorrhoid that could be causing my irregular bowel movement. I've never had problems before. Usually, I'd go to the toilet every morning and I'd go and have a normal stool and I'd be okay throughout the day... But then a few months ago, I noticed I was having difficulty with trying to go every morning. It's either I'm constipated or that my stool is too soft. Either way it's difficult to pass and it comes out in small portions. And sometimes I feel like not all of it came out... But my major problem is, I always get diarrhea when I leave my house. But when I am at home, I don't even get diarrhea at all. Even if I eat a LOT and eat all the dairies I want, I wouldn't even be bothered and going to the toilet won't even cross my mind. So I really think that my IBS is psychologically triggered. Like when I know that I am out of the house and I am away from the comfort of my own toilet, I get nervous and scared and then my diarrhea would be triggered.At first, I only get nervous about eating when I am not at home. Because that's how I usually end up having diarrhea. Like I have to immediately go to the toilet after I ate. So what I did before was I tried not to eat too much or sometimes I don't eat at all cos I'm scared it would trigger my diarrhea. But lately, it's much worse. Even if I don't eat, I still end up getting nervous and have diarrhea when I'm out of the house... No matter what I do, even if I try not to think about it. When I'm away from home, I still get it. And it's so difficult going through this each day. So, what has happened to me lately is I've been trying to avoid going out. I haven't been really enjoying what I used to enjoy before. Because I am afraid of my IBS. I used to enjoy traveling a lot but now, I can't even do it. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety already. I really would like to get over this. It has been controlling my life too much. I've been researching and reading about the syndrome and I read from one topic in this forum about an IBS being a mind/gut issue. Do you guys thing that my case is a mind/gut issue? I also read suggestions about hypnotherapy. I would really love to give that a try. I was just wondering, what doctor performs hypnotherapy? A psychiatrist?The thing is, I am from outside the US. Philippines to be particular. And I asked some doctors I know if they know anyone who performs hypnotherapy. Just a while ago I asked a doctor (she is actually a Neuro Development pedia, I think. so I thought she might have an idea or that she might know a doctor) and when I mentioned to her about hypnotherapy, she looked at me like I've just grown two heads. She said she didn't know any hypnotherapist or anyone who performs hypnosis and even said that those who perform those aren't even doctors. I don't even know if she really knew what hypnotherapy is. I just ended up feeling depressed with her reaction. And I'm still not sure where I can find a hypnotherapist from where I live.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your written English is really good. How are you with spoken English. There are home hypnotherapy CD's/MP3s and if you can understand spoken English as well as you write it may be worth giving a shot.In the US various therapists and some doctors do provide hypnotherapy, the center that trains people here does it for pretty much any sort of licensed health professional.

#3 ·
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am okay with spoken English. I actually have just gotten myself a CD of Jon Kabat Zinn's Mindfullness Meditation. I read from this forum that meditation could help, too. So yeah.. Hmmm.. Is meditation and hypnotherapy the same? I really hope I could find a hypnotherapist in my country. I'm desperate. Sometimes it's embarassing and depressing that even the people around me don't understand my situation. They would usually tell me to just not think about it, but what they don't know is it's not just as easy as that. If it was, then I would have gotten out of this situation a long time ago.

#4 ·
Hello and welcome,A good deal of what you have mentioned I have gone through as well (take a peek at my journey below if you wish )If you are interested there is a solution - the IBS Audio Program is the program of gut-directed hypnotherapy for IBS that has been used very successfully here by myself and many on this BB for over 10 years - you can easily download it by MP3 directly to your computer - It is not a cure but it has helped the vast majority of folks who have used it - Click here for more information: http://www.healthyaudio.com/content/ibs?r=VmPRrcNk And the advantages are that you dont have to worry about travel, making appointments, and having an episode while there, or having to cancel, because you do it in the privacy of your own home, and it is way cheaper -the entire program is less than the fee for one in-person session - and - you get on-going support if needed.Feel free to ask any questions - we are all happy to help - there are many success stories here, so you are not alone. Hope that helps! Take care and all the best to you.

#5 ·
Forgot to answer your question: 'Is meditation and hypnotherapy the same? 'While they have similarities, they are not the same - the short answer is that hypnotherapy can use the state of meditation (being focused and calm) to help with concerns - with hypnotherapy, you are given the tools to help change your subconsious mind and thought patterns which affect your body functions. Also, not all hypnotherapy for IBS is the same either. there are some programs that use just one or two sessions to cover the problem, but clinical research has shown that the best success is achieved when the protocol is gut-specific or gut-directed and uses several sessions as this is the way the mind works - it needs several different sessions to progress forward successfully -Hope that helps -

#6 ·
Hi cookies4marilyn, I will look into the IBS Audio Program you suggested. You mentioned that it won't cure my IBS? :(How come? I thought hypnotherapy will help me "abolish" the gut/instinct that triggers my IBS. Thank you so much for your help.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some people may go into full remission, a lot of people my get significant relief (the difference between "it stops my life" symptoms and "minor inconvience").I don't think anything that treats IBS can technically be called a cure, but hypnotherapy does cause significant relief in 70% of people in clinical trials with protocols known to work. I did CBT (concious work on thoughts rather than hypnotherapy that works on the unconcious) and I got significant relief at first and over a couple of years went into remission. One thing that is good about the mind-body work is when they do work there can be continued improvement over time where drug treatments tend to leave you at the same place when you stop taking them.It would be nice if it could cure everyone, but nothing is that certain for any disease.The other thing to remember is some people do have triggers that may not be in the gut-brain axis (like they are lactose intolerant) and those sorts of things may still be able to trigger things no matter how good the mind-body work effects the mind-body stuff.

#9 ·
While I agree with both Kathleen and Marilyn, I would say you already have a very powerful tool in your posession. The Jon Kabat-Zinn Mindfulness Meditations can be extremely helpful if you do them consistently as he recommends. I'd say, start with that now, and also incorporate the hypnotherapy CDs into your life as well when you receive them. You seem very enlightened and open-minded that will help you immensely. Best of luck on your journey to heal. It is a journey that will take time and perseverance and committment on your part. But you already have the right mind-set just keep moving forward and begin with the Kabat-Zinn CD's today. I have them and have used them consistently for more than a year now. Highly recommended. Best,Elizabeth

#10 ·
Thank you Elizabeth for your insight! That is a good point to make! miw, sinc you have the mindfulness CD already, you might as well do that first because Mike's clinical research shows that it is best to do either one or the other at one time, rather than both at the same time. The IBS Audio Program addresses specific IBS symptoms of motility and the anxiety that goes along with the IBS condition - it is IBS and gut -specific, and since you were looking for a hypnotherapist, the IBS Audio Program would be a cost-effective alternative to seeing a therapist in person. So see how you do with your IBS symptoms with the other CD first, and keep with it, and if that does not provide you with addressing the IBS symptoms and related anxiety, then you may want to consider the hypnotherapy program that is specifically developed for the condition. Thousands of folks have addressed their IBS symptoms with this program being discussed on this BB since 1998, so it does work for most folks.All the best to you no matter which way you go, but as long as you have the other program, I would say give it a chance first and perhaps it will take care of it without the extra expense of getting the hypno program. But should you decide to do so, there is live support along the way if needed!

#11 ·
Just a while ago I went to the mall, and just the sensation of the mall made my stomach uncomfortable so I had to rush back home again. *sigh*I will start listening to Kabat-Zinn's CD, I hope it works. If not, then I will try hypnotherapy.But again I am wondering, with hypnotherapy, how long does it usually take before you can see any improvements? And is there a chance of "the fear" or "the gut" that triggers to come back after you have finished the therapy?Thank you so much for all your input. I really appreciate it. I feel like I have hope to live and be normal again.

#12 ·
I noticed that my IBS type symptoms happen mostly through the work week. Well, I listen to Yahoo radio every day at work, and its the same songs playing over and over. I thought to myself yesterday, that what if the constant songs repeated daily, are keeping me in the same funk? Kind of a radical thought, but none the less, I switched stations yesterday at work, and started to listen to a 90's station that reminded me of high school and what not, and had almost no triggers the whole day. So I decided to start again today with my new station. I think my brain was taking the daily songs and making a pattern with my body. Who knows, maybe thats a crazy thought but it seemed to work.

#13 ·
miw - Time frames for seeing improvements with a gut-specific or gut-directed hypnotherapy program vary with the individual - how long they have had IBS, how severe, etc. but as a general guideline, most people start to feel a bit calmer and more relaxed after a month into it - but they still may present with symptoms depending upon their situation and other factors. It is a process and gradually gets better over the course of the 100 day program and the effects last long after completion. There are some individuals like myself, who may have other factors and have severe refractory IBS where the program needs to be repeated. But once those connections of IBS and anxiousness are broken, they usually continue on - the program is specifically geared to address just the thought of having to leave the house - in fact, in the introduction, Mike comments on the fears of the IBS patients, needing to know where all the bathrooms are in the shops, planning shopping or travel around toilets, or missing out altogether on important events due to fear of no bathrooms, or impending attacks happening just at the time you need to leave to go somewhere. This happened to me ALL the time.I wish I could say that there is a definite formula and time -frame - but anyone who does that is not being realistic - you can have general guidelines where most are helped, but if I believed in that, I would have given up - and I did finally get relief - tho it took longer for me. Then there are others who felt better two weeks in - I think reading and concentrating and thinking about IBS while doing hypno does not help progress - but from what you mention, I think you have a good chance of being helped by it. Also - there is live ongoing support with the program - even from Mike if you need it - which has proven to be helpful for many individuals - we have many success stories, and letters of appreciation to Mike since 2000 or even older - from people who have gotten their lives back, no longer worry about traveling or leaving the house, and many have no more IBS symptoms, some have it as a minor inconvenience from time to time - but it is safe to say that well over that vast majority have had some improvement over and above their previous treatments - so there is hope.Bonzi - I think what has happened is that the old songs are linked to "IBS" thinking and provided a subconscious trigger - the new songs ( reminders of a time when you perhaps did not have IBS and/or were happier) are re-wiring your thoughts - it really isnt that far-fetched an idea! Music really can effect mood and feelings - I think it's great that this has worked for you!

#14 ·
cookies4marilyn, I went through and read the website of the IBS audio program you recommended and I feel like I want to purchase it now. I just feel like the program is really targeted for me. The thought of just leaving the house triggers my IBS. Thank you so much for answering all my inquiries. I really really appreciate it. I will post again soon if there are any updates about me. I will post if there are improvements and what I've been doing, so maybe I can also help others who are going through the same thing. Thanks again.

#15 ·
You are welcome - there is support with the program, so you can use the contact page on the website if you have questions (or phone support too if needed) - also - as I mentioned, while doing the program it is best to not read or write about IBS if you can help it - logging progress except for where mentioned in the booklet, sometimes hinders progress in that you bring the IBS thoughts back to mind - so consider that while doing the program, to not read about IBS. I know it is hard, as I did that very thing, needing the support, etc. but it did slow me down as well.It was a long road for me, so I know how you are feeling. Most of the folks who successfully completed the program have moved on from this BB because IBS is no longer a big part of their lives - so when folks who have been helped stay here to give their stories, it is one of the ways to encourage and give hope to others - so thank you for offering to do that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.