Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys i am diagonised with GERD and IBS 1 year ago. did both Endoscope and colonscope..found inflammation on the esphoghus oni lately been getting the funny stomach feeling on the abdomen like a burning sensation..followed by feeling of nausea. i can also feel my acid reflux attack ( al ot of trapped gas on chest ). i do not know wheter all these leads to the nausea feeling. for past 3 days, woke up with a abdomen discomfort in the morning. Took my Omeprazole for acid reflux and also took DOMPERIDONE for bloatness..seem to cure for a while on the stomach discomfort but will come back the following day again.. do i have an infection. i never felt this way before...i kinda live with my IBS for past 1 year..for past 1 year i do get IBS attack once or twice a month with loose watery scattered stools follwed by stomach cramps. but it usually goes off in 1 or 2 days...and come back after a few weeks this time..the abdomen discomfort has been plauging me on and off for 3 ~ 4 weeks and with the additon of slight nausea feeling..its horrible. i need advise on whats wrong?? do i have a H pylori infection or gASTRITIS??/ Help !!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
No way to really know what is going on, but since the symptoms got worse with an increase in frequency it probably is worth getting things checke out.H. pylori generally doesn't cause symptoms for a lot of people so hard to blame it.Gastritis does cause abdominal pain, but generally more like hunger pains than anything else.You may be under a bit more physical stress than usual (change in seasons can do it) or not sleeping as well, or just getting worried about the symptoms can be enough stress to make them worse and last longer. So it doesn't have to be a new disease.Have you tried ginger for the nausea?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would talk to your pharmacist regarding the medications you are on. This could be the result of what you are taking. Perhaps you need to switch to something else for your acid reflux or have another endoscopic exam to see what is going on. Gastritis can cause nausea but the drugs you are taking should have cleared you up. Did you change your diet once you were diagnosed? If not, you probably need some dietary modifications such as giving up caffine, alcohol, spicy foods and perhaps fruit juce. Since you are waking up with these symptoms, it sounds like your medications should be taken at bedtime or be changed to something else. You could try increasing your intake of dietary fiber such as an organic fiber bar in the morning or oatmeal. Staying on a bland diet of baked chicken, rice, cooked veges and baked potatoes, avoiding all grease/fat/spices/caffine and elevate your head/upper body while you sleep. I am not a medical professional so you need to seek additional advice from your doctor. Your doctor should have tested you for h-pylori during your first exam. If not, you could have this tested. It could cause your symptoms. (One year of therapy should have cleared up your acid reflux/gastritis if you stuck to lifestyle changes. So, I think you are right to think that something else might be going on.) http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/t...~gi0iITvAhVEvR5

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the advise..i am seeing my GI today ....hope to get some solutions to the recent problems. i hope i dun have to do another endoscope since i already did on 1.5 years ago...i really do not like the feeling

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but you should have been given Versed IV during the procedure so that you felt and remembered nothing. Perhaps you need to ask for some conscious sedation during the procedure. I felt very little and actually was pretty dog gone happy for the rest of the day. On a side note, there were several recent clinical articles citing how the antacids and PPi's can CAUSE bacterial overgrowth or make it worse. Hence, this class could cause diarrhea seemingly for no reason when in reality you have bacterial overgrowth or SIBO. SIBO is usually treated with antibiotics. However, I have seen people with gastritis and other conditions who need continued acid reduction to prevent diarrhea. You definitely need some more lab work and a clinical assessment do get a better idea of your main problem. To go off the PPi if you have gastritis or an ulcer would be a huge mistake yet to continue to take them if you are actually healed may help you. . . Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI HESTER i am from asia ...actually being diagonised with IBS and GERD sometime back and taking PPI when i had a reflux attack was already like a norm to my life. even living with IBS was like part of my life and seriouly i am trying to improve my diet system and living with it But 1 month ago, with the new systoms of nausea and stomach discomfort whcich comes and goes, its disturbing me alot . seen another Doc and took Domperidone and Nexium for 4 days..but really did not seem to improve the stomach discomfort and nausea.. But can feel the acid reflux going off. i got a feeling i might have some infection which may need some antibotics to kill it. i never felt this way since i had acid reflux or IBS dated as far as 2~3 years ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
seen my GI yesterday. She told me the nausea could be a new systom due to my GERD.. told me to take 40 mg of Nexium /day for a period of 1month cum Probitoics ~ PRO GUT for 1 month too.. as for my stomach discomfort, she told me its due to the DOMPERIDONE whcih i was taking and told me to go off it. i asked about H pylori infection, my GI told me it was done during the colonscope 1 year ago with test on tissues and i do not have H pylori infection. But is there a possibility of getting the infection 1 year later??? she also told me to go for ultrascan of the abdomen to double confirm the nausea is not due to some other problems Well..somehow i feel the nausea might not be due to my GERD. i have took NEXIUM for like 1 week and now have to go on heavier dosage..the nexium does make me feel better in terms of the burping.. but my stomach discomfort is still lingling and nausea also does not go off..my stools are still loose and scattered and soft as of today..Guys if u have similar experience, please share...do i have to take nexium constantly for like 2~3 weeks to see improvement like no more nausea feeling and abdomen no more burning sensation ? just confused and dun know whether should listen to my GI and tried this whole medication for 1 month before seeing her again

·
Registered
253 Posts
It might take some time for the other drug to get out of your system. I have had "side effects" last months after the discontinuation of a particular product. The PPi class can cause bacterial overgrowth because we need stomach acid to KILL the bacteria in the small bowel. I guess I would have felt better had you had another endoscopic exam to see if you really have continued gastritis/gerd/acid reflux or a red lining to your gut showing irritation. If the extra PPi makes you feel better, then that is good. Take the probotics. If you can buy BUBBIES sauerkraut somewhere in your country, it has LOTS of natural probotics to help with diarrhea. However, that being said probotics can make bacterial overgrowth worse (if that is why you are getting loose stools). Weight loss, smelly stools, urgency, lots of gas and grumbling also go hand and hand with bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. PPi's always gave me diarrhea but I took them until my gut lining healed. I have been taking Huan Lian Su tablets with amazing results for my stools! A couple other people on here seem to have had good results with this chinese herb. It appears to be some type of natural antibiotic. I ordered mine from Amazon. You could also take an imodium at night to ensure you don't have a rough morning. Good luck and watch your diet. Be sure to not drink caffine or alcohol if you still have GERD. Glad to hear your burping is better. (I am not a medical professional. So, be sure to be your own best advocate for your health!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i think i will stick to 20mg of Nexium instead of 40 mg per day for now.. its quite scary to hear that Nexium will cause nausea and i thought these PPI drugs are suppose to suppress the acid in the stomach which means the acid will be suppressed and, nausea feeling will go away too??? As fpr domperidone, taking it does make the nausea go away for a while...but somehow i dun think its causing my stomach upper cramps with loose stools . i stop domperidone for 2 days but i am still getting the abdomen discomfort and loose tiny stools. so i wnet back taking Domperidone last nite and today. i personally feel that taking nexium is for pple whit bad heartburn... the whole nausea feeling started 1 month back with stomach abdomen discomfort with loose and scattered stools.. during one of the week which i was feeling good, my stools were well formed and normal and no nausea feeling. It came back the follwoing weekBUt the moment my stomach discomfort comes in, i began to have loose scattered stools with occassional dark stools which leads to nausea..it does not seem the acid reflux is casuing my nausea feeling.. i am so confused..i might need to see another Doc. i do not mind having another endoscope or other tests

·
Registered
253 Posts
http://gerd.emedtv.com/nexium/nexium.html. . . as you can see by the drug labeling information Nexium absolutely can cause diarrhea and nausea. Again, if your lining has healed (need proof with exam) you probably do not need to take the PPi anymore. There are alternative treatments to acid reflux such as sleeping upright, eating small meals, not having spicy food, caffine or alcohol, getting plenty of organic fiber, controlling your stress levels, perhaps avoiding artifical sweetners, pop or anything carbonated and even certain herbals can help. Since your symptoms are new and seem to have occured while taking the Nexium, I am guessing it might be the "purple pill". Again, I am not a medical professional. Please be your own best advocate. Drugs are NOT miracle beans and ALL of them have some side effect. The question is whether that side effect balances the benefit. . . you would not want to get an ulcer and you did state you seemed to "burb" a lot. Yet, with the Nexium this went away. I don't know what else to say. You can read the linked information and try eating a bland diet (look it up online) and go off the Nexium for a week to see if the stomach pain, nausea and diarrhea start to go away. Obviously, you will have to be very careful since you have issues with the lining of your gut being irritated. Good luck. (When I quit my PPi, it took three weeks for the diarrhea to stop!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi hester Thanks for the advise.. i am begining to feel better from yesterday.. The nauseous feeling is going off and stomach cramps also seem to go down.i think personally myself also get confused with my acid reflux problem and my IBS..if taking nexium is going to heal the acid reflux and stomach lining whcih in turn rid me of the nausea and stomach discomfort, that would be great! Because i understand if one had a bad acid reflux..the acid content also fill your stomach or colon ( whcih is why on a really bad day of stomach cramps, the flare up stools had traces of bubbles & gas) Please correct me if i am wrong here. However if taking nexium on a 1 ~ 2 month basis is also going to cause stomach cramps, nausea e.t.c then it becomes difficult to judge whats wrong internally?? Having say that, i also making changes to my diet..no coffee, no alcohol for now. i have also quit smoking for good.. will also get more fiber like diet on daily basis

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, I will try again to explain but it is very good that you are feeling better. You are spot on that severe acid reflux can cause ALL of your symptoms. Then the PPi will help. Your diet changes are also a great step to improve your GI health. Sometimes the class of medications called PPis such as Nexium can cause a side effect like darrhea and nausea. Also, if your problem has changed from an acid problem to something called bacterial overgrowth of the small bowel or SIBO for short, PPis make this condition worse. So, that might mean stopping the PPi. Problem is you cannot really stop if your stomach lining is still inflammed. . .If you continue to improve with what your are doing right now, I would stick with it. Give it a few weeks and try to keep up with the dietary changes as part of your NEW lifestyle. You might find you get better and can stop taking the PPi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI HESTER I was reading up on SIBO and i think i might have caught that infection.. for the past 1.5 week, i been waking up earlier than i usually do with a stomach cramp and slight nauseous after i put some food in stoamch... i mean i have live with my IBS and GERD for past 1.5 years but i never felt this way before.. last week i ask my gastrologist regaring an infection such as H pylori.. she told me i was tested for that during the colonscope back then and i am negative.. i ask her about doing a breadth test again but was advised on going to Nexium and probitotics for next 1 month and doing a ultrascan in 1 months time before doing another review in 1 months time (the problem with going to a government hospital is too much long lead time) But after more than a week on nexium, i am still having stomach cramps and slight nauseous at times of the day.. i do not feel i have an acid reflux attack..the oni problem i face now is the stomach cramps and buring sensation which leads to a nauseous feel..i still have a specalist doc to see...do u think i should go see my 2nd doc for opinion and mabye do a breadth test or earlier ultrascan to see whats wrong??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check out my link (above in the thread) regarding Nexium side effects. The pill can cause all of your symptoms too. I just think (personal opinion) that if you have been taking the PPi for a year, your gut should be healed. That would lead ME to think perhaps it is now causing the problems. It took me three weeks to a month to feel better once I stopped my PPi. Do what you think is right for your body. Do you think your gut is healed and your acid reflux caused by your diet? You say you have changed your diet. Can you stick to those changes as a lifestyle and go off the PPi? Drugs are not magic beans. All of them have side effects. Does the risk outway the benefit? Sometimes, it is hard to tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.