Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Well... I am new on here, so I had a few questions. Well, I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago and I had a few blood tests, but I haven't had a colonoscopy because my dr said that changing my diet would work, (and my insurance won't pick it up) but, I have been getting worse. I have bad bloating, stomach cramps that are horrible, sweats and some diarrhea. I am afraid to go anywhere and the pain is soooooo bad!!! Should I start Fiber or continue on just levisin that the dr. gave me. How do you guys handle it, because my husband gets angry when we go anywhere and he thinks it is all in my head and stress related.Please Advise

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi Jenniferz,I have had IBS-D since i was 14. Im 28 now. As IBS is different for everyone, if i tell you abit about myself maybe it can help. I Was diagnosed with severe uncontrollable IBS. Basically means that i am sensetive to almost all foods. And I'm a Taurean, we LIKE food!! So all in all, it sucks. I spent a lot of time learning my trigger foods, unfortunatly i can become sensetive to something that used to be fine. Right now i only eat mashed potato and plain chicken, an exciting life i know! I do not touch the ones that i know will cause me problems. I use Buscopan for bad cramps, the first one doesn't ever seem to do much, but after about 2 or 3 doses, at correct times, it does help. So if you know you are going out, and you have enough time, up to 12 hours to start taking these, then you can rely on them. My opinion of cause. For D i have Loperimide. It is the pure form of imodium and helps greatly with pain and upset tummy. I was given this after a 6 day bout of chronic D that i thought was a tummy bug but was in fact IBS. It is prescription but works wonders. I also have Colofac IBS for all symptoms of IBS and fibergel (doesn't always work for me)In the cupboard just in case. I can imagine that your husbands attitude (no disrespect, just going on what you wrote) when you go out could possibly cause anxiety or stress, and the expectation of a bad tummy. This is a big deal for me. I went to the docs yesterday and we talked. I had gotten myself into a viscious IBS/anxiety/IBS cycle. Having tried all remedies for the tummy side of things and only got worse, we decided to attack it from the head side of things. I was prescribed anti-depressants of a small dose, containing a mild tranquilzer, to ease the anxiety enough for my stomach to calm down. This has happened to me before and it really did help, but that's me, could be very different for you. IBS can be stress related, but it's definatly NOT "All in your head" ! My experience is that i had to stumble through a lot of supplements etc to find ones that work, and even now they could turn on me at any point. There are a lot of helpful people on here, and given time and peoples stories and advise, you hopefully will find all the pieces to you individual puzzle. I know it's hard, but try not to worry, it doesn't help. These forums are for support, and you will get it.Any more questions, ask away.Hope this has helped, even just a little.Take careLisa

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
HI and welcome. I have had IBS-D for about 10 years now. Just getting worse all the time. I have tried several meds for it but so far non have owkred. I too have tried anti depressants but I have a bad reactoin to them and they actually make me have more anxiety. So now I am off of all of them.I am sure my huby gets sick of me not wanting to go places and needing to get to a restroom like NOW!! But after a few accidents and him knowing and seeing what I am going through he actually believes me now and knows it is not being made up. He actually has helped me clean stuff up here lately. (sounds gross but he now knows I do have accidents).I hope your H gets over it and realizes you are not making this up. Maybe he needs to read some of these discusion boards to see there are more of us out there who do sufer from IBS. Well good luck and know we are here to talk to when you need someone who understands. This forum has been a BIG help to me.Take care

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hey there. Welcome to the boards. I've had IBS my whole life. C as a kid then D since I was a teenager. I've had all the tests done just to be sure and am still trying to find something that makes me feel better. I'm taking a few things now that have helped quite a bit but not really enough. Diet doesn't really help me, mine is mostly stress and hormone related. Glad to have you around (well obviously not glad you have IBS) and hope you feel better soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts