Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I joined this group about a week ago and have found it wonderful. But, here's my dilemna. I do believe I have IBS although those symptoms seem fairly-well controlled through medication (most of the time). My problems stem from the following: I get nauseus then begin throwing up, it goes on for days, sometimes accompanied by diarrhea, sometimes not. Most times I end up in the hospital because of dehydration and have to be rehydrated. This time I haven't ended up in the hospital but I've been off work since July 18th and don't see going back soon. I can now eat very, very little, but at least I've stopped the nausea and vomiting. This has been happening for the past 2 years, but much more frequent since February of this year. I have now missed 23 days of work since the end of February. I just told my boss I was going to have to take a leave of absence from work until I go to Vanderbilt on August 9th so I can try to get some things figured out. The doctors here all say it's IBS and I have to learn to live with it. But since I've been with this group, I've checked symptoms and very few seem to have the problems like I do. I've also checked the .. site and other sites. None of them talk about nausea and vomiting except to say that sometimes it occurs because of the pain. That's not my problem! What do you "old-timers" (to the IBS problems) think? I need advice!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello Vickie!Well we all suffer in different ways with IBS, most of us I guess on a daily basis. But I know people who only have symptoms every 6-8 weeks. I have had nausea to the point of wanting to throw up, but not quite being able too, and I've never been anywhere near as bad as you sound! It does sound like there may be something else going on too, what tests have the doctors carried out on you? Have you been on any tablets to combat the sickness? I really feel for you, this is no way to live, and know how frustrated you must be. Have you kept a food diary to see if there is any trigger to setting off these symptoms? Hoping you feel better soon x

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been on many medicines, including 3 now. I'm on Zelnorm twice a day, Protonix once a day and Bentyl three times a day. Yes, I've kept a food diary and there is no trigger. This last time I ate 3 bites of a nicely prepared steak and about 5 bites of baked potato. I was sicker than a dog that night and it's lasted for nearly 2 weeks now. I've had many tests, including 2 colonoscopies, 2 endoscopies, 2 small bowel follow throughs, CT scans, Ultrasounds, MRI's, Upper GI's, Lower GI's. As I said, I do believe I have IBS but I think this vomiting and nausea are something different. That's why I'm going to a different medical center to see what they think. I hope he tries a different approach.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Vickie,I think it's good you're going to Vanderbilt. You might be able to find someone to help you. I don't have nausea, so yours sounds more severe than mine. You could easily have something in addition to IBS. Because of the experiences I've had with doctors in the last three years, I've lost confidence in the profession. I've recently found a new Internist, who is so good, she is helping me restore my faith in doctors, but I'll never have a lot of faith in them. For me personally, when I developed IBS symptoms, I wasn't diagnosed with IBS. Instead, I was given a myomectomy, (to remove uterine fibroids). When I returned to the GYN after the surgery & told him my symptoms hadn't improved, & I was still bloated, He made a fat joke & laughed. I'm not kidding. Before the IBS started I was 5'7" & weighed 139 lbs, (size 8). I was a size 10, (altered for my bloated abdomen), after the surgery,& the guy made a fat joke. I'm telling you that because it's proof that you have to keep going to doctors until you're confident that no one can help you. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Definitely good you are getting the vomiting checked out.Usually it is more of an upper GI issue rather than IBS (but it can still be "functional" and some doctors call every single functional disorder IBS, but functional vomiting is a different disorder based on what the experts in functional disorders call things).I know someone in RL going through this and they found a tumor in the upper part of the small intestine that was causing severe periodic vomiting, so it is good they are checking you out. It can still be functional if all the tests are clear, but it took them awhile to find what was causing his, and maybe getting a different set of eyes on it will help.Hoping it turns out that it is something they can get fixed for you.K.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Vickie in KentuckyHave you had your gallbladder checked out??Before I had my gb out my symptoms were extreme pain around the ribs section, nausea, diarrhea - a lot of people do get sickness though.I was diagnosed with ibs.d 30+ years ago and had my gb removed 22 years ago - and yes, I still have ibs that's why I'm on these boards!!Another site to help you with the ibs is .. - loads of positive advice for you to read through.Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.