Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have suffered from severe chronic abd pain for about 5yrs now (pain always has been around belly button). 2years ago I had a gastroscopy which was normal, dx IBS. Last year I had a laparoscopy and was diagnosed with endometriosis. I'm taking progesterone pills for that now. I continue to have very loose stools with mucus at times, no blood or fatty stools-I also have a tender bulge right inside my rectum is that normal? I was having a period where I was being awakened by cramping and having urgent BM's. I have lost about 40lbs in 6 mos-probably because I have no appetite and am experiencing nausea and vomiting- bloodwork is normal. Is this IBS or what? I don't think the endometriosis could come back that fast. My mom's sister has mild Crohn's disease, but the doc doesn't feel I have IBD. Could my symptoms be caused by the hormones or stress? HELP ME PLEASE!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Losing weight is only a "red flag" symptom for IBD vs IBS if you have been eating normally. Explainable weight loss is not the issue, but weight loss in the absense of a reason for it.Reproductive issues often cause GI symptoms so it can be difficult to determine one from another.Homones do effect the GI tract and stress is often a culprit in GI symptoms as well.Has the doctor looked at the bulge. It could be something as common as an internal hemaroid, but the doctor should take a look at it to determine what exactly it is.Usually with an IBD there is abnormalities in the blood work. The Sedimentation rate is elevated which is a sign of inflamation in the body.K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kmottus, Thanks for your reply. I was losing wt despite eating normally for several months- I even tried to gain by eating high cal/fat foods that I wouldn't normally eat. But things got worse, I was having problems with vomiting and nausea. I would vomit undigested food at night that I had consumed at lunch and dinner. Now my intake has drastically changed- I am eating mostly liquid and soft food to avoid the pain and discomfort after eating-the reduced intake also helps ease the D!-less BM's. I realize this can't go on forever, but I'm enjoying the pain-free time. I do have an internal hemmorhoid,but this bulge is different, it is directly inside the rectum and is very tender, its almost occluding the space inside. I'm hoping the Gynie I'm seeing this week can give me some answers since my presenting symptoms for endometriosis were GI. Although the progesterone I'm taking should actually slow down gut motility, as I understand it reduces colonic muscle tone. I seriously doubt I have IBD- my labs were OK. I did have a mildly elevated White count 2 yrs ago when I went to an ER for the pain, and one of my abd lymph nodes was enlarged ###the time of my gyn surgery. Is it possible to have IBD without any of the "markers" in your blood work?

G

·
Sed rate is pretty sensitive, but as long as it was done while you were having symptoms. If you do it during a time with no symptoms when you are in remission (which happens with IBD's) then you could miss it.If you are throwing up most of your lunch and dinner most days then you aren't getting a whole lot of calories in. Food has to get to the small intestine where most of the absorption takes place. Just going into the stomach won't do it. The vomiting, if regular, might explain the weight loss. After all I've lost all sorts of weight from the "stomach flu" when I kept very little in for 5-7 days.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.