Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in so much discomfort that I finally saw my GI doc, and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on November 14. I'm to use a Fleet #2 prep kit and follow 72-hour instructions. Opened the kit and I'm overwhelmed. Three days of liquids and laxatives, and a huge enema before leaving for the hospital. I'm already feeling so sick that I don't think I'll make it through this!!I've read posts that some preps are getting easier -- just pills, liquid. I thought this would be what's ordered. I called and talked with his nurse -- and cried. She was sympathetic but said when a patient is chronic C, they order "the works" before a colonoscopy.Isn't there an easier prep that would get me clear? Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Victoria, It all depends on the doctor and what they are doing and how they assess your condition.Mr.Kamie had a colonoscopy in September and they preped him in the hospital and it was grueling!2 bags of 1,500 cc'c of the enema solution!!!!!Yep, it was as grueling as it sounds.all that and the liquid in the bottles and the pills too.Gads!!!!!!!He was so clean he was squeakey.So yes, there are better, but there are also worse too.Good luck and know that the worst part will be over quickly and then it's all healing from there.Kamie

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Victoria, If you are C predominant, this prep is typical. (In some Doc's practices they do not differentiate the preps for C or D predominant folks, so the poor D folks have it pretty bad.)Keep in mind, when you are "running" clear, the prep is done.You will make it through this. We will all be here to offer support. Many of us have been through this. It WILL be ok. Now, you have a few days to work on your bathroom ambiance,
so get busy. Candles are nice. Loads of reading material. Portable cassette player with soothing tunes. Hand held games are great too. (Make sure you stock up on batteries.) Also, while you are at the store get some of those flushable toddler wipes. They are very soothing on sore butt tissues.If you are fortunate enough to have a lap top, stop by the BB here and keep us posted on how you are doing. The prep is the worst of the whole thing. The procedure is usually a snap. So you get to do the awful part in the comfort of your own ambiance enhanced bathroom. You will be so glad you have had it done when it is over. It is an essential tool to rule out potential nasties.Now, get going on that ambiance!
BQ

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm IBS-D and will have to do my 4th prep (for procedures) in a month - next week. And evertime I have been given a different product. Seems like a joke to take something that just makes my main symptom worse! But, I keep playing the game!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,I just got done with the nasty prep work. I throw up the first patch of the fleets stuff I had to drink. THe taste was with me all day than that night I had to drink that gallon stuff. Hang in there. Just take it one minute at a time. Robyn

G

·
Ive posted this so many time over the past couple of years but here goes again. I was first given this prep by an original member of this bboard, though I have modified it a bit. I suggested it to my GI Doctor and she approved it and was already familiar with it. I used it to for two colonoscopies and an open colon resection surgery..all with excellent results. This is the Dulcolax prep. You begin by reducing your intake of slow and hard to digest foods three or four days prior to your exam. Lets use a monday for a standard of time....if your test is on Monday morning, you begin the prep on Saturday evening by taking two Dulcolax tablets. The next morning (Sunday) you take two more Dulcolax at 10AM, and two more Dulcolax at 4PM. On Saturday you should be on a soft diet, and on Sunday a liquid diet. Do not drink anything after about 10PM to 12 midnight on Sunday. You should be finished evacuating your system by test time on Monday morning. For the surgery, I also used a Fleet enema at about 6 AM prior to a 1PM surgery.Thats it...nothing to choke down..and no huge quantities of pills to take...I have never known it not to provide complete cleansing. The diet prior to the prep is very important as is the intake of fluids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.