Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to summarize as much as possible, though you all know how complicated symptoms can be. My IBS started about 10 years ago, with symptoms of bloating, gas, and pain. Ever since I can remember though, I've always had trouble getting an "urge" - I could never go in public, and even at home, with plenty of time and privacy, had to work at it and concentrate. So I always considered myself constipated, though I realized the problem was more mental than physical (a psychiatrist was unable to help). However, until about 6 years ago, once I did get an urge, I would go completely and everything would be fine. Then, following a series of 4 colonic irrigations (coincidence? who knows?) I began having problems with evacuation. I could tell (by cramps and pain) that I wasn't getting it all out, and would have to go multiple times a day, whereas before it had just been once. And at an hour each time to get an urge, this became rapidly problematic. For the last several years, I've resorted to using suppositories, having accepted my "getting an urge" problem as a life-long one. My current situation: multiple suppositories (12-15) and multiple trips to the bathroom (5-6) each morning clean me out enough so that the bloating and pain is minimal. If I don't get cleaned out, within hours I'm in agony. So right now the incomplete evacuation is my main problem. I've tried everything I can think of over the years, high-fiber, low-fiber, antibiotics, probiotics, Miralax, Zelnorm, many other things I don't even remember anymore. Even when I load up on laxatives, the evacuation is still incomplete, and I have to use suppositories to finish it off. HOWEVER - over the last several months, I've been doing abdominal massage, particularly in the sigmoid area, and this has decreased my evacuation time from an hour+ to 40-45 minutes. This may not seem like much, but it's the only improvement I've seen in the last 6 years. Which brings me to my test results. A year and a half ago, I had a normal colonoscopy, but in reading over the results, I found something interesting. I'd love to ask a doctor, but A. I don't have insurance anymore and B. the GI who did the test is also the moron who repeatedly referred to my "persistent diarrhea" even though I told him I've never had D a day in my life. So I'm asking you all if this means anything (which he obviously didn't think it did): "...cecum, ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon normal. There was a sharp turn whithin the sigmoid colon which slipped off the scope quickly during withdrawal of the scope and could not be reclaimed for further visualization in spite of multiple efforts." Is that "normal" like my doc thinks, or, given my symptoms, does it mean something?It's also interesting to note that, after the evacuation problems started, I had a barium enema, which was also normal: "The post evacuation film demonstrates virtually complete evacuation of the colon with very small residual of barium identified in the distal ileum."Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on, or what to do about it?Thanks so much,Susan

·
Registered
23,788 Posts
SStorm,From the looks of it it sounds normal for IBS.The sensation of incomplete evacuation can be just that a sensation. There is noting in the rectum, but it signals to the brain the feeling there is something there because the nerves are so sensitive. That is what this is saying basically."The post evacuation film demonstrates virtually complete evacuation of the colon with very small residual of barium identified in the distal ileum."You should look into biofeedback for this problem perhaps. You might also consider a CBT person who actually works on gi issues, not just a therapist. A lot of therapists do not understand IBS or gi disorders unless they are trained for them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Susan: I hope I can help: Yes, this sounds like IBS. The feeling of not getting it all out - I know that feeling well. For about 30 years, that was me, too. I'd go to the loo, just KNOWING I had to go, then, nothing. Sat there for an hour, knowing, any second, it would all come out. The best I did was finally get one piece out - the size of a pea!So, that went on for years. One day I walked 20 miles. I was sure I could "go" successfully, but no. Out of that 30 years, I only went a handful of times with that complete "whew, relief" feeling. I didn't even get relief (feeling) when I drank the fleet stuff for the colonoscopy!I'm not sure what the report meant, but I had some tests done, and the doctor told me that my colon turns way up (the part that turns up, then 90 degree down), but mine goes up a lot farther than most. Maybe that is the results?The solution to IBS is so varied, that it's hard to say what to do. I know that fiber, exercise, all the normal "solutions" never worked for me. I have been about 85% under control after taking some medicine, although I hate to take medicines. But, it works.Do you get episodes of cramping, like the monthlys only worse? If so, an anti spasm medicine may work for you.Also, I was on anti depresants for IBS once, and it made the feeling of incomplete evacuation worse.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
SStorm,take a look at my post "new diagnosis".Did you had a defecography or perhaps a manometry?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.