Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking about going into the doctors to get all checked out and make sure it's not anything serious. My family doctor thought it was likely IBS. But I want to clear my mind of this whole thing and be certain.I just have two questions.1) Do I need to go back to my family doctor in order to have him set me up with a gastrologist or whatever they are called?2) What can I expect to happen/experience when I go in there? If there's any kind of "probing" I'm gonna NEED to be put out or almost put out before I left that happen.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of gastroenterologists require a referral from a regular docto so you may need that. Some may not, but most of the ones around here don't take patients unless the regular doc sends them over.How much probing is needed will depend on your symptoms and what they need to rule out. Sigmoidoscopies are usually done with you awake. Endoscopies (from the top) and colonoscopies are usually done with sedation. You might be able to get Valium or other mild tranquilizer for tests that don't normally require sedation if you have someone to drive you home.K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.