Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 31 year old female. I always had problems with IBS, but never this bad. It seems to be getting worse. All I ever had was diarreah when I got nervous, but now it is every day with gas and very bad pain. I have lower back and abdomialpain. the dr said stay away from milk and fatty foods, but nothing seems to haelp I am afraid to go to work and go out of my house. I wonderif it is all in my head. I take NULEV that the dr prescribed and then sometimes I take benedryl for allergies and that seems to relax my stomach. I am wondering if it is all in my head. My husband is getting angry with me plases help. I am not happy any more.Jen

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would try out hyoscyamine (or Levsil) for stomach spasms- that helped my gas and pain. Benadryl pretty much gets me stoned
so that definitely calms the mind and therefore calms my stomach down too (that's how I know my attacks are caused by my anxiety). Other than that, I would suggest getting the typical tests (GI series, endoscopy, food allergy test) and then you'll know if it's all in your head.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would try out hyoscyamine (or Levsil) for stomach spasms- that helped my gas and pain. Benadryl pretty much gets me stoned
so that definitely calms the mind and therefore calms my stomach down too (that's how I know my attacks are caused by my anxiety). Other than that, I would suggest getting the typical tests (GI series, endoscopy, food allergy test) and then you'll know if it's all in your head.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Histamine is a player in the GI tract and antihistamines sometimes block that (the nerves set off the mast cells which release histamine which causes diarrhea).Nulev can help alot for some people.Also you might consider the www.ibsaudioprogram.com NOT because it is in your head, but because the head and the gut talk to each other and learning a different way to talk to your gut may be helpful.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Histamine is a player in the GI tract and antihistamines sometimes block that (the nerves set off the mast cells which release histamine which causes diarrhea).Nulev can help alot for some people.Also you might consider the www.ibsaudioprogram.com NOT because it is in your head, but because the head and the gut talk to each other and learning a different way to talk to your gut may be helpful.K.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi jenner,((Hugs)) Hang in there!! See a GI doctor and tell him what's going on it sounds like IBS to me. I have had diarrhea daily for over 15 years. My symptoms got worse so I finally went to Gastro doctor. He said I has IBS and put me on a antispasmodic (Donnatal) and told me to go to my regular doctor to treat my anxiety (it runs in my family). I can't take antidepressants ( they make me too tired) my body won't tolerant them so she put me on Buspar and I feel soooo much better my D had gone down from every day to 3 times a week and I feel confidant enough to go to the store and mall. The medication really helps me. Keep you chin up and know your not alone many people on this board have the same storys as you do. Take Care!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi jenner,((Hugs)) Hang in there!! See a GI doctor and tell him what's going on it sounds like IBS to me. I have had diarrhea daily for over 15 years. My symptoms got worse so I finally went to Gastro doctor. He said I has IBS and put me on a antispasmodic (Donnatal) and told me to go to my regular doctor to treat my anxiety (it runs in my family). I can't take antidepressants ( they make me too tired) my body won't tolerant them so she put me on Buspar and I feel soooo much better my D had gone down from every day to 3 times a week and I feel confidant enough to go to the store and mall. The medication really helps me. Keep you chin up and know your not alone many people on this board have the same storys as you do. Take Care!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi jenner,No your not alone
) there is so much information on this site, they have a search that is very helpful too. The Donnatal is a antispasmodic and the Buspar is a very mild drug for anxiety disorder. They both have websites if you do a search on google. What I like about the medications I am on is I am not tired and my tummy is much calmer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi jenner,No your not alone
) there is so much information on this site, they have a search that is very helpful too. The Donnatal is a antispasmodic and the Buspar is a very mild drug for anxiety disorder. They both have websites if you do a search on google. What I like about the medications I am on is I am not tired and my tummy is much calmer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi JennerI am just like you age 32 and have D nearly all the time, the only releif I get is imodium, I take one every other night so I dont get too bunged up and hoping it will control the bowel more, which it does, try cutting out fats, tea and coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol and rich dairy products this will help keep things calmer.I have tried all manner of anti spas tabs and nothing works only imodium and they dont harm you they are not addictive either.Have you tried them?I just cant eat what I want yet, but working on it slowly! If I am pain free most of the day and not running to the loo every 5 mins its a good day.So chin up, big hug and squeeze to you, you are not alone xxxx

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi JennerI am just like you age 32 and have D nearly all the time, the only releif I get is imodium, I take one every other night so I dont get too bunged up and hoping it will control the bowel more, which it does, try cutting out fats, tea and coffee, fizzy drinks, alcohol and rich dairy products this will help keep things calmer.I have tried all manner of anti spas tabs and nothing works only imodium and they dont harm you they are not addictive either.Have you tried them?I just cant eat what I want yet, but working on it slowly! If I am pain free most of the day and not running to the loo every 5 mins its a good day.So chin up, big hug and squeeze to you, you are not alone xxxx

·
Registered
164 Posts
i try to offer this advice all the time...please consider a chiropracter if you are not getting any answers from gastros. you dont even have to have any back pain to see them about digestive disorders..but if your spine is out of line, and pressing on nerves that send signals to your gut..your body cannot function properly if your spine is not align...there are sooo many nerves there, and they really trigger your gut...please consider it , you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i try to offer this advice all the time...please consider a chiropracter if you are not getting any answers from gastros. you dont even have to have any back pain to see them about digestive disorders..but if your spine is out of line, and pressing on nerves that send signals to your gut..your body cannot function properly if your spine is not align...there are sooo many nerves there, and they really trigger your gut...please consider it , you have nothing to lose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.