Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have not been officialy diagnosed after basic tests including colonoscopy(?)I need to know if I have IBS. My symptoms are that every couple of months I have for about a week these symptoms: loose bowel movements, not often, maybe once a day only, but the movement will be diahrea like, and during the day I have occasional cramps and general discomfort, and of course life is less enjoyable as I worry all the time about 'having to run for it'. Then it will dissapear and return after some months and last for a week or two.IBS I only heard of in the internet and it sounds like I have it.thanks for any input.LB

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If you had a normal colonoscopy its a good chance that you have what seems like from your symptoms to be mild IBS, since it doesnt happen to you on a daily basis. You might want to ask a DR for an antispasdmodic like bentyl or levsin which might help with the "episodes" you describe.If you can you could try to keep a food diary, perhaps you could indentify your triggers and avoid them. Just curious, what did the DR say you had since your scope/tests were normal?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If you had a normal colonoscopy its a good chance that you have what seems like from your symptoms to be mild IBS, since it doesnt happen to you on a daily basis. You might want to ask a DR for an antispasdmodic like bentyl or levsin which might help with the "episodes" you describe.If you can you could try to keep a food diary, perhaps you could indentify your triggers and avoid them. Just curious, what did the DR say you had since your scope/tests were normal?

·
Registered
267 Posts
LB, it does sound like you have mild IBS, but I'm not a doctor. But your symptoms sound all too familiar
Asking your doc for an antispasmatic like bentyl or levsin is not a horrible idea, but it's good to keep in mind that the side-effects of those medicines can be harsh. It's a good idea to weigh the pros and cons. Especially if your IBS is mild. IBS doesn't lead to other conditions, but IBS meds can.

·
Registered
267 Posts
LB, it does sound like you have mild IBS, but I'm not a doctor. But your symptoms sound all too familiar
Asking your doc for an antispasmatic like bentyl or levsin is not a horrible idea, but it's good to keep in mind that the side-effects of those medicines can be harsh. It's a good idea to weigh the pros and cons. Especially if your IBS is mild. IBS doesn't lead to other conditions, but IBS meds can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.Both my gastro DR and my family DR didn't mention IBS and just said that it should pass and maybe I'm under stress, but I don't think that's the case.So I plan to visit my doctors again and ask about IBS and the meds you mentioned, maybe I'll also change docs.Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.Both my gastro DR and my family DR didn't mention IBS and just said that it should pass and maybe I'm under stress, but I don't think that's the case.So I plan to visit my doctors again and ask about IBS and the meds you mentioned, maybe I'll also change docs.Thanks again for the advise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts