Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i am doing some research into IBS if any body wants to take part i will really appreciate it, and of course the more research that gets done, the more chance there is of finding ways to improve the symptoms!all that is required is to fill in a diary for a few minutes a day for two weeks, i will provide feed back! and there is a free free beverly hills polo club (BHPC) pen RRP 19.95 for taking part, and entry into the BHPC prize craw, first prize his and hers watch set, second prize luggage set and third prize perfume. so if you want to help an MSc student, and yourself and WITHOUT LEAVING THE HOUSE give me a response

·
Registered
674 Posts
People here don't normally take too kindly to this kind of post, so don't say you haven't been warned.What qualifies you to do a study on IBS? What is the purpose of this study? Why should we want you to comment on our symptoms? Is confidentiality guaranteed? How did you find this website and why is this your only post? If this is legitimate, why the need to lure participants with cheesy prizes?Personally, I wouldn't get involved with anyone doing a study who can't write a simple post without making spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors. Last I heard, these things were still expected at the university level.Oh, just for the record, the majority of us do leave the house and aren't that desperate for entertainment.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
perhaps if you give more information like how your study has been designed, who qualifies, how the results will be used, etc. you might get a better response. You use a fairly broad term like "symptoms" and that raises a flag. Read around the board just a little bit and you'll see that there is no such thing as one set of symptoms for IBS. Like Sherlock, I'm fairly suspicious of this approach and would need a lot more info before responding.

G

·
I recently participated in a legitimate IBS study in the hopes that it would get the drug companies to re-think some of their strategies. But I demanded credentials first.Evie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear all,thank you for your comments, I am really sorry if any one took offence, that certainly was not my intention. I was just trying to write a brief post to inform people that I was conducting research, it was not intended to be a definitive description of everything involved. I read through the guidelines on posting messages and did not see anything to suggest it was not suitable to post this kind of message, but I am sorry that it obviously read as unthinking. However, that is not need to personally attack myself or the validity of my study. i will try to explain in more detail. Firstly my study has ethical approval from both the university internal and external ethics committee's and from the IBS NETWORK. Secondly confidentiality will obviously be ensured with a removable consent form as the first page of the diary which allows for differert levels of confidentiality depending on the participants preference. This means it is possible if desired to merely provide an illegible signiture! I am indeed aware of the many different symptoms experienced by sufferers of IBs, boths in terms of the different subtypes (diarrhoea, constipation and alternating) and also of the very idiosyncratic nature of the individual presentation of these symptoms and many other additional primary and secondary symptoms that also occur. This is why the study involves diaries, which enable an accurate picture of IBS from an individual perspective, and why i will be looking at a range of factors, including nutrition, exercise, smoking and relaxation behaviours, and perceived daily stress and depression, plus anything else, which the participants would like to comment on. The aim is to ascertain, which aspects of daily life have the greatest impact of the frequency and severity of symptoms, both for individuals and for people with the different types of IBS, this is a precursor to my PHd in Health Psychology (commencing in September) which will design structured, semi-structured and unstructured intervention programs to add to the literature in establishing the way forward for the treatment of this disorder. I am extremely sorry if i caused offence my mentioning that it could be taken part in peoples own houses, this was included based on feedback that some sufferers felt this was an important issue, as they had "been unable to take part inprevious research due to the desire not to travel away from home", i certainly did not mean to imply anything negative, so please accept my apologies. I am impressed that you also took offence to the 'cheezy prises', though I expect you are in a minority, it has been proven that there is a greater chance of a response rate if incentives are offered: Irritable bowel syndrome: are incentives useful for improving survey response rates?, Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, Volume 56, Issue 3, March 2003, Pages 256-261 Scott B. Patten, Feng Xiao Li, Tim Cook, Robert J. Hilsden and Lloyd R. Sutherlandand this would appear to be the case as i have had people contact me who are more concerned as to when their free pen will arrive then with what the study involves. I have not posted on this sight before owing to only finding the message board last night, sorry. I appreciate that researchers set off alarm bells, but please be asured i am genuine, i am not some rich company who seeks to exploit the results, I am a poor student who could have researched any thing but I chose IBS because my boyfriend sufferers from it and i felt that a lot of doctors do not care "it will not affect your quality of life", and moreover that good quality research was lacking. I hope that this answers some of your questions, please be ensured my intentions are genuine and I really did not mean to cause offence. If you have any other comments please feel free to voice themCarly.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Carlythanks for the follow up. you did get hit a little hard since we tend to be hit up around here for sure cures and other things. We are a group who prefers our information up front and in the open. sometimes it's hard to tell if that information would be forthcoming or not.that said, I might be interested in helping out although I would need to know about time commitments, etc. Also, a two week period would not really be that indicative for me since my symptoms come and go - and luckily I'm in the fairly mild group especially now that I've found some things that help a lot. nancy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks NMWINTER, if you would like to take part thats great. I am glad to hear that you are feeling ok at the moment, long may it continue. for my purposes it does not matter if you are feeling really well or really bad as the diaries will reflect this. i appreciate that is is a time commitment, but it should only take a few minutes each day, there is a simple coding system too to minimise writing. If you are interested then send me your address. If you would like any more information let me know, thanksCarly

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tom, I don't consider myself "over-sensitive". If you were referring to me, you don't know me well enough to make that judgement.Carly, your second post here should have been your first. A little planning on presentation goes a long way. Good luck with your study, and your PhD.

·
Registered
360 Posts
LOL Sherlock, I liked your first post it was funny. (don't leave the house and don't need the entertainment, too true)Tom, put it this way, she's lucky she got her first response from sherlock and not Flux (or tim or norb or someone willing to really rip into her.)Good luck carly.Wes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Carly: I did not take offense at your post as it did not sound to me like you were selling anything. Wish you good luck with the study and the phd. I was wondering though, how do you know the respondants have IBS as a lot of people appear to be self diagnosed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi in answer to your question regarding self-diagnosis, i do ask that all my respondants note on the diary the method of diagnosis, e.g. doctor, self, nutritionist. This way it can be taken into account when I collate the data. It does seem to be quite common for people to write, self-diagnosed initially, and then confirmed by doctor.Carly

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would be willing to participate in a study. I have daily problems. I am only able to work about 4 hours a week, but cannot get disability. Have not found any meds that really help and most make me worse. Any research about this problem is welcomed. E-mail me (Melanie) at vmajm###iglou.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi EssenceTries, I have sent you an e-mail asking for you address or if you would like more information, i have had no response, which is absolutely fine, just wanted to check that you had actually received it as i would not want you thinking that I had not responded yet. If you did not receive the e-mail and would still like o take part, you can e-mail your details to psm1cj###surrey.ac.uk. If not sorry to have bothered you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.