Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I've just been diagnosed with IBS. I've been told that there is no cure and that i'll just have to live with it! What am i supposed to do? I've been reading some of the letters posted and my symptons are (explosive)diarrhoea,serious cramping and hot sweats (no bloatedness or gas). What can anyone sugest for me? It usually passes in a couple of hours but sometimes i'm too afraid to eat incase i get it in public!The doctor hasn't prescribed any medication for me but suggested peppermint oil and ginger. Does this work?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi sc77,Welcome to this BB, glad you found us, but sorry you had to come looking for us. Getting this IBS diagnosis with the remark that there is no cure and you just have to live with it is very upsetting (most of us here have had similar experiences). On this BB you can find all kinds of information about IBS and how different people cope with their symptoms. Some people swear by hypnotherapy, others are on special diets and avoid certain foods, there are people who use certain anti-depressants or other prescription medicine, and some OTC (over the counter) medicines can give relief too.Have a look at the Living with IBS Forum (here's the link : http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...&f=17&submit=Go ). This is where different people have posted how they deal with their symptoms. Do look at all topics there, as specified at the top of that Forum. Have a look at all the other Forums too (go to the Hop To button at the bottom of the page and look up the different Forums)I have IBS-D with explosive and very urgent diarrhea, but no pain or sweats. What helps me keep it all under control is taking calcium (see the OTC Forum), keeping to a low-carb/high protein diet, drink plenty of water, and taking a multivitamin with probiotics. Ginger and pepermint both have a calming influence on the digestive system (ginger is good for nausea), I ususally drink ginger- or pepermint tea. What works for me doesn't ncessarily work for you, so it's hard to give advice.I do hope you will be able to find something on this BB to help you with your symptoms. Don't hesitate to ask all you want to know, there are a lot of very supportive people on this board.Fay

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
hey. welcome to the board. I know this sounds bad - learn to live with it. But you may be able to just that. Some people have a lot of success with things they learn about. Some people less. Here's a few things that I've seen people talk about - Fay mentioned some above too. Best advice is to read through here, ask questions and see what might work for you. Talk to your doctor about these too especially if it is something you are unsure of. Remember, even natural herbs have side effects sometimes.- anti-diarrheals like Immodium. You can even take it as a preventitive measure. Some people take 1-2 (or more) daily to control the D. It is safe to do this but can of course cause constipation. There are other prescription drugs too that can help (don't remember names since I'm IBS C/D so immodium is about the right thing for me)- other medications like lotronex. it's just coming bakc on the market for IBS D and will be carefully prescribed but it migt be something to look into- anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs - because the gut is affected by serotonin levels like the brain (its another nervous system), these medications help by controlling the serotonin. some people also have true depression or anti-anxiety disorders along with the IBS and find treating those help the IBS too. Others just find taking the right medication at the right dosage helps the IBS- food allergies or intolerances - there are foods people avoid or just can not tolerate at all. not every food though is the same for every person so you need to figure out your triggers and problems. there is a lot of good info out here on that.- hypnotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, biofeedback - these and other mind/body therapies help the body also control the nervous system. I'm trying the hypnotherapy and can actually get my body into a more relaxed state - not someting I could trying other methods like exercising, deep breathing, etc. A lot of people have success with these but like medications, you might have to find the one the is best for you. Check the Hypno and CBT forum (look at Hop to at bottom of page).and more. I'm just throwing out some. mostly so you can see that there are options out there. Make sure to read up and check things out. You want to be sure that whatever course you try is safe.Oh, I almost forgot calcium!! A lot of people have had wonderful results using calcium carbonate supplements which constipate (Fay mentioned this). Definitely check into this.good lucknancy

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Welcome to the BB! Lots of good suggestions! I find that doing a lot of relaxation really helped me too. (I have almost the same as you)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
sc77,The pain and D you describe could be caused by food sensitivity. It's worth checking.Food sensitivity is an immune reaction similar to an allergy, but it involves different immune cells and an allergy test won't pick it up. A "true" food allergy could also be causing your symptoms, especially if you also get common allergy symptoms like rashes, congestion or headaches. If you get allergy tests make sure it's a RAST or ELISA blood test. Skin prick tests are less than 50% accurate.This book explains food allergy and sensitivity for lay peopleFOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICATIONAND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 This company has a blood test and treatment program for food sensitivitieswww.nowleap.comThey have an online form for you to fill out, and they determine from your symptoms if their program is likely to help you.If you're interested in discussion about food sensitivity and the LEAP treatment program, please see the Food/Nutrition forum.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I see there are some good suggestions already given. Most people say they learn more on this board than from their doctors.But you might want to seriously consider changing your doctor as well.I watch what I eat. Started by making a detailed list of everything that went in my mouth, on a daily basis. After 10 days, I ended up with a Yes, No, Maybe list. We are all different.Good beginning.But there are some trigger foods, and you can find them in web sites given, I think.If interested, I can tell you what I cannot eat,but you may be able to eat what I cannot, andvice-versa.Good luck.Don't despair. Be pro-active.O

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.