Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I am new to this forum, but I am very concerned about my wife's condition. She is 35 years old and has had very bad stomach pains for about 2 weeks now. We went to the emergency room twice last week to no avail. She went to the gastro today and he said she probably has IBS, but there is no "D" to go along with it. She is currently having a CAT scan done at a hospital, so we will have to see what that reveals. The only thing that has given her relief from the constant day/night pain is her taking pain medication - which relieves the pain at the top of her stomach for a while. Is intense, nonstop stomach pain a normal part of IBS? I am very worried - she has had an upper GI already done with nothing found. I just don't think it is IBS, since she is now having any bowel problems. She is only 35, but has had her gallbladder removed. Any suggestions on how she can get pain relief without the pain meds?

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Suppositories.Where r u located?

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Vet,The CAT scan may help rule out other GI problems. So a firm IBS diagnosis may not be possible til the results of that are in as you said. But I would continue with the pain meds her Doc prescribed to help with the pain til you have those results and hopefully a better idea of what is going on.But she has no diarhea?? And no other bowel problems? I don't know if I know of anyone with IBS that has absolutely no bowel problems. But ... me not knowing anyone like that doesn't mean much. lolHas she had any other tests besides the Upper GI and the CAT? If not.. and they come back with a "normal" CAT, and then give you an IBS diagnosis.. umm I'd maybe would seek another opinion from a GI Doc if that is possible.Here is a link to the ROME II Diagnostic Criteria for IBS:http://www.ibsgroup.org/main/diagnosis.shtmlYou could print that off and bring it with you to the Doc and ask some questions....I sure hope her pain eases soon and that she is feeling better.And I gotta say.. you get a 'standing O'for being such a great help to her. It means so much to us who have this infernal syndrome to have a supportive family and you sure meet that criteria.Wish you both all the best.BQ

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had no D with IBS for a long time, it was mostly constipation, but only for about 2-3 days.The pain can be very disturbing and if it also causes anxiety, its a vicious circle and it can feel much worse.She is doing the right thing having the tests.

·
Registered
807 Posts
When I first started reading your post, I immediately thought "gallbladder". Then I read that that she has already had her GB out - how long ago? And why? For stones? Or for inflammation? I have heard of people having lots of pain after a GB removal - stones can still form. There is also a condition called "sphincter of odii dysfunction" (google it) that can cause pain like that. What did the CAT scan reveal?Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.