Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiJust wanted to ask as I am worried again - I have found what seems like a little lump on a strigy thing just right of my belly button (3 inches or so)- it moves around when I push it and the lump feels the size of a grape but not as round (a bit long) - the sting thing seems to go right under my belly button !!!!?I have made it sore from pulling at it trying to work out if its a lymph node and somethings wrong !What do you think or what is it !?I went to the Dr and he seem unworried - but he might have missed it ?Thanks if you can helpa worried conners

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Conners, I would go and have it looked at again. It is possible it could just be a knot in the muscle, I don't think there is a lymph node there, but this is something I am not qualified to answer on and going back to the doctor is the best advise I have for you.Maybe, Flux can help you more on this one.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eric - just getting myself wound up on the cancer trail again - another sleepless night ahead - just when I thought I had made progress !

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Conners, sorry I could not help you more. However, it has been my experience not worry about things until it maybe time to really worry about them. Easier said then done I know, but you having it checked again is a good idea and it could be just a Knot or something. Try not to stress over things at the moment you can't control.Actually, how long have you had it or did you just notice it.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Connors,I dont' really have any helpful advice, but you sound so upset, I just had to say something. I too, get very worried about something new with my health or with my body.Even if I go to the doc. and he says it's o.k. I don't always believe him. My therapist says to figure out what my imaginings are and try to deal with the anxiety over them.i.e.cancer,etc.Chances are if your doc says it's o.k., it most likely is. But of course if you are worried call him back. My doc. has e-mail so he hears from me often.By the way, are you on any meds. for anxiety?I hope you feel better and if you ever want to talk to a slightly crazy, yet sympatheticperson, feel free to e-mail!Peace and Health,Karly

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I don't know what it is, hernia is one possibility, but there are others. I think most of the lymph nodes are fairly deep. You'd really have to have it looked at it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying guysi think i have had it for a couple of weeks and not really thought about it much - but kept pressing until it brusied which is probably not a good idea !!I will go back to the Dr this week and express my concerns - one of the bad things about IBS for me is not only the attacks but the overall concern on health it has developed within me - i thought i was getting better with it ! maybe time to try another method !Thanks againConners

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Conners-Sorry to hear about the worries. I have to echo the gang- try not to worry and definitely check it out- hit the doc over the head for some attention. Hope things get better- let us know what the verdict is and keep smiling- twinkle*

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI CONNERS.I suggest you call your doctor and let him put your mind at ease. Maybe he even DID palpate it, figure it was a cyst, but just did not go into it with you. Maybe you could just ask the nurse over the phone to ask him what that was? Just call em today and drag an answer out so you can feel better! Or if he cannot answer, make an appointment with your doctor and show him exactly what and where it is. Then ask him to explain exactly what it is...from what you describe and his nonchalant reaction it sounds like just a cyst, maybe a "keratinous type" cyst (the outer wall is formed of "keratinzed cells" like the cells of the top layers of the skin, and inside is some fluid, like dead white cells and stuff). Since it is painless and easy to palpate it has to be just subcutaneous which, as Flux said, does not involve lymphatics at that spot of your body. So, I bet a buck he will say its just a cyst and not to worry. Some guys like to drain them and some guys like to leave them to see if they resolve on their own if that is what it is.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Does it come or go or is it always there? I ask this because my daughter presenting with a bump in her pelvic area and it turned out to be bilateral hernias. Hers was a bit larger and it was there one evening and then in 2 days it was gone. I thought she bumped herself riding her bike,etc. Days later it returned. She ended up having surgery. The umbilical is another likely place for a hernia. I am sure if you showed it to your Dr. and he/she examined the area then you probably needn't worry unless it doesn't go away in a reasonable amount of time or gets bigger. I tend to think it could be an inflammed muscle. Sometimes a muscle will feel like a bump or knot like when it is irritated. I have had this happen to muscles under my arm and near my breast when I have over done the weights. It feels like a lump/bump to me and then I realize it is ok just a muscle inflammed. Good luck -- take care!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Conners:My guess about the mysterious lump is it is a lipoma. They are fatty like masses that occur anywhere. They become more common as we age, and can hide until they become huge in large obese people. Basically tho they are harmless. If I had a second guess, it would be a hernia (same as flux). A decent dr. will not ignore a mass unless it has definite qualities that render it benign. There really is no 100% guarantee of that tho unless a biopsy is done. Anyway enuf rambling but lipoma is my guess. Take care and try to relax....LoriLee

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI CONNERS!I hope you feel better knowing all thes people came up with so many diferent things it could be....and none of them are serious! Let us know what it turns out to be eh? Take care and have a calm dayMNL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all and you were all right - Saw my Dr today and he promised me that there are no lmyph nodes anywhere near the 'funny lump' - which is good newsAnd Mike I owe you a buck - he came with a strange name for it but it meant some kind of fatty tissue mass or cyst - and he fealt it and was really not concered at all - but if I was really concerned he would arrange a biopsy for me ! he does not fell the need but would be happy to arrange it if thats what I wanted - what do you think ? I have put on about 3 stone in the last 6 months and he reckons that might have something to do with it !?Thank you all for your support, at least I can stop worrying about lymph nodes now !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts