Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing pain in the area described in the tag line for two years after suffering with colitis, which was brought on as a result of contracting c diff. I was in hospital and on several courses of antibiotics, which killed the c diff and healed the colitis, but i have been in pain in this area since then. I can only describe the pain as a sharp stabbing pain which literally floors me or has me curled up in a ball with a heat pack.
I have had CT scans, hydrogen breath tests, endoscopy and colonoscopy and they all come back as normal. I have been on various medications (hyoscine, mebeverine, meloxicam and currently Librax). My current gastroenterologist believes it is post infectious IBS, but I have suffered with IBS since 2003 and i have never experienced pain like this.

The pain does not go when I have a bowel movement, which it used to previously with my IBS. I know which foods to avoid with my IBS, but my gastro is trying to make me have more fibre in my diet (I can't as it makes me constipated) and doesn't really listen to what i have to say unless my husband is the one pushing for me (I think I am just tired of not having any answers).

Basically iI just want to know that I am not going crazy and that it's not in my head. It’s ruining my life and no one knows what the pain is or how to treat it. This can’t be my life!

· Registered
313 Posts
I’m sorry you are going through this pain, that sounds like a nightmare. Constipation can cause excruciating pain, so that’s a possibility if you have that but I’m sure there are other things. I get bad pain from being constipated so I relate.

· Registered
126 Posts
Hey Ryan,

So they've already checked its not he appendix or a different organ I assume?
There's a lot of threads here that describe abdominal pain. Maybe one will match your description.
As for the fiber, its possible that he might be assuming the pain is caused by gas, I think, and is probably trying to get you to have more bowel movements to relieve the gas.
But you don't mention having gas, or having difficulty letting the gas out (some people have that issue).
Fiber helps regulate both diarrhea and constipation depending on which fiber it is and how it agrees with you.
We probably won't know if it it will help in your current situation as we don't know all your symptoms.

In any case, I suggest you search this section of the forum. I think I have seen several posts about unknown abdominal pain. Maybe someone has some idea here.
You can also add/switch doctors. I've done that several times, especially when I felt they were not really listening or caring about me/dismissing my problem or the gravity of it..

· Registered
126 Posts
I have been experiencing pain in the area described in the tag line for two years after suffering with colitis, which was brought on as a result of contracting c diff. I was in hospital and on several courses of antibiotics, which killed the c diff and healed the colitis, but i have been in pain in this area since then. I can only describe the pain as a sharp stabbing pain which literally floors me or has me curled up in a ball with a heat pack.
I have had CT scans, hydrogen breath tests, endoscopy and colonoscopy and they all come back as normal. I have been on various medications (hyoscine, mebeverine, meloxicam and currently Librax). My current gastroenterologist believes it is post infectious IBS, but I have suffered with IBS since 2003 and i have never experienced pain like this.

The pain does not go when I have a bowel movement, which it used to previously with my IBS. I know which foods to avoid with my IBS, but my gastro is trying to make me have more fibre in my diet (I can't as it makes me constipated) and doesn't really listen to what i have to say unless my husband is the one pushing for me (I think I am just tired of not having any answers).

Basically iI just want to know that I am not going crazy and that it's not in my head. It’s ruining my life and no one knows what the pain is or how to treat it. This can’t be my life!
Ohh I forgot to mention, some pain is thought to be from the inflammation and irritation ("irritable" bowel) of your digestive system.
It looks like you were given some strong anti-inflammatory drugs (meloxicam).
But have you ever tried fasting for a few days? It could be that some of the foods you eat don't cause any digestive problems like diarrhea, constipation or gas, but do cause abdominal pain. And since its been there for a long time, it could be something you eat or drink everyday (like coffee possibly?).

Aside from drug anti-inflammatories there are also anti-inflammatory herbs and foods like tumeric and ginger? Also, "healing" your gut maybe a good course of action to relieving its inflammation.
Have you heard of glutamine helping against inflammation in the stomach/digestive system? I took it (but mostly in a daily chicken broth, but also in powder form when I ran out of my broth).

Just a few thoughts to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts