Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a 20-year-old college student who was diagnosed back in early September with pityriasis rosea. What I showed to my dermatologist was mild in nature, but has now spread to my breasts, abdomen, underarms, lower back, upper thighs, back of knees, hands, arms and back of my neck. I probably have some "down there" but I don't even look. I just look unsightly. I think I'm sprouting a few on my forehead.I take Benadryl and Allegra to help with the itching. I use Aveeno bath moisturizer and just lierally stand in the shower because I'm afraid of rubbing. The health pages say this only concentrates in the torso, yet I have practically have it all over my body! My dermatologist and university health services have been unhelpful as well. They tell me to let it run its course. I can't even attend sororal/fraternal balls because I look like a mess. Does this leave hyperpigmentation because I have brown skin??The herald patch has always changed a lot since early September. It looks smooth in the middle and the edges look cracked and might peel. Sometimes, the herald patch itches! Wah! I have had this for nearly six weeks now. Has anyone suffered this????

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I haven't had it. Sounds awful.It sounds like about all there is to do is ride it out, and it should go away on it's own in the next few weeks.One site talked about pigmentaiton issues for some people, but I didn't get a frequency.A couple of sites mentioned using UV light to treat, but that isn't something you should do on your own (you want to watch for sunburn and stuff so you need the right dose of that so don't just go to the tanning booth on your own.).Hopefully it will all be over soon.K.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had it since last spring. It just won't go away. I don't really mind since it's only on my neck and back, but sometimes it itches like hell. I've heard that it occurs most often in the spring and fall. Hopefully for you, once cold weather hits, it will go away on its own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the response.This is Week 7 for me, and it's just awful because I have brown skin. These spots lookdark all over my body, and they itch a lot. The university nurses said that it should run its course in 6-8 weeks, but some cases may last as much as 12 weeks. They said that if he has not disappeared by November, I need to consult an appointment with them.I cannot believe I would contact something that has no treatment.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Hey, i had this last year!Argh, it was awful.Its caused my a virus, and it not infectious but it normally occurs in clusters at school or college.I had it for just over 3 months, then all of a sudden it disappeared! Literally, overnight. Don't panic. I know its itchy, but there is no cream that will help. Just use moisteriser. After about the first week and a half, i had it all over my breats, back, stomach, upper arms, legs, "down there" etc.Donn't worry about your herald patch, mine did that as well. Thats typical of pityriasis rosea you know, it looks like ringworm! If you have any on my face whatever you do don't scratch it! You could try putting on a mild hydrocortisone cream (i did that). I think it might be made worse by stress so try not to worry about it and go out anyway. Don't worry about the shower, just don't rub too hard- it won't make it any worse. Use a non perfumed shower gel or something cos you don't want to make it worse.Definately have it checked that it is not ringworm, cos that it what they thought i had at first and then they changed their mind. (Or you could just by an antifungal cream and see if it helps?) If you have only had it for 7 weeks, thats good. I had it for 14 weeks roughly.I have white skin, so im not sure abot you. I had a few slightly darker patches left on my skin from the rash (but i did have it for a long time), but they have totally faded now. You will probably have a few slightly pigmented patches, but they will fade!Email me if you want any more info.Nikki xx

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey, I had this once too...a few years ago. It is supposed to have a "Christmas Tree" appearance to the rash, according to the doc that I saw. Mine was on my chest, back and legs. It did run its course for me, but I did end up with a tiny scar or two. Hopefully, it will soon pass and you'll be feeling better.For many people, it does not reoccur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I hope it goes away as well. Although I fear my immune system is taking quite a long time. I have noticed two rash-like spots right under my chin now. The rash has now finally made its way to attack my face (if that is possible) some time later this week and possibly next week. I have tried the sunlight method (staying out under the sun for long periods of time), but it does not explain why I'm getting rash bumps all over my hands and arms if they don't like sunlight. I'm always wearing short-sleeved shirts. Oh well. Argh!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the 8th week now. I still have pityriasis rosea. The good news is that the bumps that were on my hands are slowly disappearing and peeling, but I still have the rash-looking (looking like crinkly cigarette paper) spots on my torso and around my neck area. I haven't had a good look at the herald rash yet, but it really looks like it might be peeling and cracking around the edges. The center is still developed....

G

·
Wow, I can't believe so many other people have had this! I had it when I was a kid, and I've never heard of anyone else having it.If you are still itchy, I remember taking lots of baths in baking soda water, and using Solarcane spray when it was really bad. Sounds like you are on the mend though, good to hear!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone,I'm not sure if this is serious: I still have pityriasis rosea. It's been nine weeks, going on 10 weeks by this weekend. While the weird-looking bumps on my hands disappeared, the herald patch is still pretty much intact. I don't itch as badly anymore (I don't need to take Benadryl in order to sleep). However, I feel as though I'm forming new bumps all over my body, including my legs. These are ballpin-size bumps, not a huge big deal. Is this normal?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's another week and I still have pityriasis rosea. I feel like I will have this for another month. I accidentally (without thinking) scratched the left front side of my neck. I look at my neck this morning, and I have two rashes RIGHT THERE just above the collar line. You have no idea how angry I am. And the herald patch is still clearly formed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Michsm2...and all others...I had pityriasis rosea about a month ago. Fortunately it is all gone now. Mine lasted about a month. I hated it and it made me totally paranoid that something was really wrong with me. Some of the info provided on the internet is helpful and makes you feel better...some of it can scare you to death. Anybody no what I mean? However...this forum made me feel better because it reassures me that PR is COMMON rash that happens to other young adults like me...not always and rarely a sign of some terrible ailment. (Although...I just turned 29...not staying so young, huh?) Anyway...michsm2...You haven't posted since the 10th...how is it going?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm near the end of this disease. I still get the ocassional small bumps on my left hand, but they are non-existent on my right hand. Weird disease. The patches that were on my chest are slowly fading away. I will still have dark spots over my chest, but it's better than looking at red, crinkly spots. I think I will be cured of this disease by 2006.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am JUST overcoming the last of my spots after 5 weeks. I'm 25 and one day, I just woke up with 3 HUGE spots on my hip which eventually followed with little ones all over my torso. Then it began to taunt me by slowly disappearing and leading my to believe I was on the mend and then bamN!spread to my hands, wrist and feet - it was just plain mean. I thought I should share my regime which has lead to my recovery. I really thought it would never go away. ANYWAY, Dr gave me steroid tablets to stop the itching (tho I was still itchy) and I drank loads of water and ate very healthily to help my body recover. My mum took pitty upon me and brewed me fresh chrysanthemum tea every day to "cool" the body down. I don't know, I was willing to try everything. After a week, it subsided. I know there is no cure but if you're desparate like me you'd be willing to give anything a go...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow kay tee, I'm happy yours was over in 5 weeks! My pityriasis rosea took me nearly 12 weeks! I still get the tiny bumps on my left hand. As a darker-skinned individual, this disease was not too kind to me -- it has left me faded dark marks all over my torso even when the itching has subsided. They will fade eventually by the summer, but I can't even take showers or look into the mirror without wearing a coat or shirt over me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have been with this miserable pity thing for 3 weeks. It's a mess. It's everywhere and it itches. I get about 2 hours sleep before the itching starts to bother me. It's all over my body. You are not alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok i've had my PR for at least 2 months now, what are the signs that its getting better? I started with my herald patch actually 2 of them,, then about 10 other spots. Now i have a whopping 100 and some, just when i think there getting better i get more, NOW,, the ones i have a slightly brownish, and still itch like hell. Mine kinda start like 2 tiny red bumps side by side, then i scratch them, and its a circle patch by the morning, I'm scared to death i'm going to scar from all the scratching, has anyone ever escaped the scars from scratching?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.