Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone on this board taking Questran in larger amounts than 8mg daily and if so are you taking it all at once. I am taking 4mg at bedtime and now have introduced another 4mg before breakfast but I am getting terrible indigestion from that one and am wondering if it will be okay to take it all at once, preferably at bedtime, but am unsure as to how much liquid I should use if I do do that.My GP has told me to increase it weekly by 4mg until I am up to 16mg!! - at this rate I won't get there.Heres hoping someone can help me.Judith

·
Registered
140 Posts
That sounds like an awfully large dose. I'm taking Colestid (the pill form of Questran) but only take 2 grams in the morning and 2 at dinnertime.Are you taking it for IBS/D or do you have bile salt diarrhea (from gall bladder disease)?I had my GB removed a few years ago and have had terrible bile salt D since then. The Colestid helps manage it pretty much.

·
Registered
359 Posts
JudithB--I am on the Questran but only on 4mg daily. I found this info online colestyramineI tried to find the info that came with my Rx but I think my husband may have thrown it out. I did find one info sheet that came with the receipt from the pharmacy. It said that the powder can be mixed with soups or applesauce, so why are you taking it on an empty stomach? I usually take my 4mg before bed after eating an apple. My info says that gas, nausea or heartburn can be side effects with this med. I have only had heartburn once from this that I recall. I think it was when I took it on an empty stomach and stayed up a couple of hours after I drank it.I hope you can get the bugs worked out and feel better.
I think it is helping me and I would hate for you to have to give it up due to intolerance.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NHowI started with ibs.d in my early 20's, (am 53 now), had my gallbladder removed in 1983 and although initially there was improvement the ibs.d persisted.I have gone on the Questran because my cholesterol is a little high and also because it is possible I am suffering from a bile salt problem.I do not know if we can get the pill form over here - I think that would be much easier to take.Thanks to you and slm.Judith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts