Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
*I'm really sorry about the long story, just trying to give as many details so I can get the best suggestions*Came across this forum by researching for a solution and I'm hoping I can get some great suggestions from you guys. Here is my story.I guess it all started in 11th grade. The very first day of school I had stomach pains. Had to go to the bathroom and had diarrhea. After I went to the bathroom, I was completely fine the whole day. I maybe had this problem 2-3 times the whole year for 11th grade. The only other time I had a problem in 11th grade is when I got my drivers license and went to breakfast with a few friends before school. I don't usually eat breakfast and maybe with the new drivers license that was just a bad combo. 12th grade was the same exact situation as 11th grade. Freshman year of college, wasn't too bad. I would have pains, but I could get through the day. But at the time I didn't know if we had to ask the teacher to use the bathroom or we could just get up, I was new to the whole college thing. I also didn't know where the bathrooms were, if there was any. Few weeks into my freshman year I just asked the teacher if I could use the bathroom and she just said you can get up and go. So I would then have even more pains, I'm guessing because I knew I could go to the bathroom whenever. I thought this information would help settled my stomach then make it worse. But when I went to the bathroom, I would have diarrhea and would feel so much better the whole day. I had stomach problems maybe 5-6 times the whole year.Sophomore year of college, oh man this was the worst time of my life. Have no clue why but I had to use the bathroom EVERY SINGLE DAY. I had classes three times a week, and I kid you not when I say I had to use the bathroom every day. It got really bad. 90% of the time it would be my first class. I would try to schedule my classes to be as early as possible to get it out of the way. I'm not sure if I had a problem because of the morning (I also don't eat breakfast) or what. When I did have the stomach pains I would try not to use the bathroom so I wouldn't disturb the teacher and the class, that would be rude and everyone would stare and what not. It also didn't help that we moved our desks to make a circle in the room every single day. But in my mind I wasn't nervous... nothing there made me nervous. I made friends in the same class and it be honest it was a fun class and I learned so much from that first class teacher.So I had scheduled to make an appointment around December of my sophomore year with my doctor. He was feeling my stomach to see if there was any problems and there was none. He suggested to take citrucel sugar free fiber to help with the gas. He also told me to get blood work done and he gave me a prescription of Dicyclomine. I got blood work done and he said my white blood cells were low. He said the white blood cells help fight off colds and what not. I could have been sick and not even know it. So I got blood work about 4 more times and the same thing, white blood cells were low. He never asked for me to come back, just if I started feeling worse. So as far as I know my white blood cells are always low.I took the Dicyclomine pills once a day before school. Second semester of my sophomore year was great. These pills felt like they really helped. I can't remember if I had these pills the first semester where I had pains every day. I maybe had stomach problems 3-4 times the whole second semester. Same with my junior year of college, took the pills and maybe had 3-4 stomach problems the whole year.Now where it comes back. I took a semester off my junior year. Went into electrician school this September. The first few weeks I maybe had 1 stomach problem, the first day. I can understand the first few days because its something new. Now I'm having so much pain its ridiculous. I have to get up 5-15 times during the class to let out gas or use the bathroom. The Dicyclomine no longer work, I don't feel like it's working anymore. The class is 2 hours long only two times a week. It's getting to a point where I might have to drop the class. I can't focus on what the teacher is teaching. Every day I go in class I feel pain and just try to focus on making that pain better, so my focus isn't on the teacher. I believe I'm failing the class... I have no clue what's going on. I tried changing my diet to eating salads. I didn't even think but the salad had boiled eggs in it. That might have given me excessive gas and that might be the reason why I had to use the bathroom 15 times.I tried changing my diet to eating regular salads, fruit, bread. I tried sacrificing the good foods that I like that isn't healthy. Nothing is working for me. I used to be able to go out all the time having no problems with my stomach. Now just recently I go out with my friends and I get stomach problems and its annoying and embarrassing. I tried buying this product called IntestAid and that doesn't seem to work. Been on it for 3 weeks now.I feel like its a nervous stomach, but in my head I know I'm not afraid of anything. I do work a lot, I don't know if thats the case but changing my working shedule is going to be very difficult. I work about 14-18 hours a day. I work M-F as an electrician and F-S at a restaurant. I also run my own business when I'm done working at my "normal" jobs. I don't know why I work at the restaurant when my business brings in 10x more income. I just do, maybe I enjoy it?I've gotten 2 stomach pains the whole time I worked at the restaurant (almost 7 years). Both times was when I was on my way to the restaurant. I occasionally gets stomach pains from my electrician job.I apologize for the long story, but maybe if I give enough details I can get some great suggestions.Thank you*edit: Not sure if this helps, but I am 22 years old. I do eat a lot because of my high metabolism and weigh an average of 160.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The colon is most active in the morning whether you eat breakfast or not, and a lot of IBSers over react to that colon waking up in the morning thing.I tried changing my diet to eating regular salads, fruit, bread. Um, that may not be the best ideaRaw veggies tend to be very hard on IBSers and can set things off.Fruits tend to be high in fructose and many are high in sorbitol and that will up your gas and may set off diarrhhea.Bread has wheat, and wheat has a lot of resistant starch which makes gas when it gets to the colon.http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm has a flatus reduction diet.Have you tried a probiotic? These bacteria often make less gas than other bacteria so sometimes help with the amount of farting.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you're only taking the dicyclomine once a day, your doctor might recommend going up on the dose or taking it more frequently. Most people take it 3-4 times a day (15-30 minutes before meals, before bed), and that might help a little bit. However, don't go up on your dose without consulting your doctor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts