Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm 16 years old and I think I'm suffering from IBS. I've been to the doctors a ridiculous amount of times and each time I felt like they didnt take me seriously because of my age. I use to go a lot when I was 13 and 14 but after getting "eat more fiber" "eat yogurt" I kind of stopped because i got sick of the disappointment. Anyways I'm not sure if I have IBS or if its an anxiety disorder. I go and see a counselor for anxiety but I haven't actually been diagnosed by a psychiatrist. My day usually consist of constantly thinking about having to go and feeling like I have to go. But then when I get home all the thoughts go away and I feel fine. Due to this I miss a lot of school and a lot of opportunities. Recently I was apart of a competition at school (I PUSHED AND FORCED MYSELF TO GO) which required me to have to go on a drive of a hour with a group of kids. I hate traveling in cars or anything without a bathroom because it makes me nervous and I feel trapped. So on the way there pretty much as soon as we left the school at 7:30 in the morning (which btw is an accomplishment itself I can barely make it to school at 8:30 and school starts at 8:15) my stomach started hurting. Then about thirty minutes into the ride I had this urgency to go like I could not hold it I told both of my teachers that I have an anxiety disorder and that I need to go to the bathroom. SO thankfully one of my teachers she has a son that has anxiety and understood. So they pulled over the bus into a gas station and I thankfully made it to the bathroom. Then even when I was at the competition I went to the bathroom 5 times. Both times it was a very loose BM. I've tried align but I'm not entirely sure if it helped due to it being summer and I never really tested it out. Also it takes me up to an hour to do a BM. Like I'll go to the bathroom but I'll still feel like I have to use the bathroom. This is usually only before I go somewhere though (like school).I'm so sick of this problem it corrupts my life. I want to get this fixed. I have another competition to go to which is 2-4 hour drive away and would require me to stay in a city for three days. Because of probably have to share a bathroom with someone and the embarrassment of how long it takes me to use the bathroom I do not want to go. But If I go I get scholarships to college and all other sorts of things. Also I just got picked today for a student leadership program which means during my summer I get to go to either D.C., New York, or China. This is such a HUGE opportunity and I feel if I don't go I'll regret it forever. I'm just stuck in one place. Thinking about having a BM has seriously taken over my life. I constantly think about it. I cry over it. Sometimes I even want to die. It even at one point ruined a relationship of mine. It's just I'm almost in college and this year is even more stressful than the last. I just need some answers and I need them quick.I need help.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hey DxdWelcome!I think it might help you to pratice some relaxation techniques so when you are in competition or other situations you find more stressful...you can begin to turn those situations into fun.. rather than stressful.Here read this Advice by our Dr. Bolen:"Relaxation Exercises and IBS"http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/516And then maybe read this one, also by our Dr Bolen, entitled "Healthy Thinking and IBS":http://www.ibsgroup.org/node/515Now you may want to bring them in to show your counsellor so they can guide you a bit with them and perhaps help you apply them to your particular situations. Do you have Diarrhea almost everyday or just when you have things you find more stressful? If it is everyday I would urge you to go ahead and use either a 1/2 imodium or a whole if you think you need it, with dinner as prevention of any morning issues. Also you can try Calcium Carbonate supplements.(See Linda's Calcium thread at the top of the Diarrhea Forum .. or click here to read it: http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s...t=0&start=0 )Calcium Carbonate has been known to firm up BM's.I think if you take some meds or supplements to cut down on the amount and looseness of your BMs.. you will gain some more confidence.But it sure sounds like you are fine til you go to leave your "comfort zone" (this happens to loads of IBS'ers so you are not alone) and your therapist may be the one to help you most. They can teach you how to keep good & positive thoughts going in your thinking. They can help you prempt that negative thinking which leads to the fear etc... So you can learn to teach your body to have NO response or at least not an anxious response when you leave that comfort zone. Just gonna take some practice on your part. And since you are young.. you may be able to "nail" this strategy down in real good time.The fact that you are attending these events already is really awesome! So do not minimize your accomplishments! So what you had to go a few times! You made it! And each time you have a successful outing... take the time to notice that and bask in the glow of success for a bit. With each successful outing... you will gain more and more confidence by looking at what you have already accomplished.Hold your head up and look at what you have managed already! And think.. it will only get better the more you use the coping tools that you can learn by reading here and/or with your therapist. Things will get better!All the best & keep us posted!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts