Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a scary day!After waking up this morning dreaming of (I know this is awful) cancer patients and having cancer, I tried to fight off my usual stomach cramps (at night before bed I feel good and I hope that I won't have the cramps in the a.m.). No use, 10 minutes later I was in the bathroom with lots of ribbon stools. I am getting so depressed by this! I hate starting my day off feeling scared and helpless! I have one more week until I see the GI. I know I had IBS-D when I was younger (35 now), but I don't remember having to go first thing in the morning with soft, thin ribbon stools.Can someone tell me if they have had this problem or if it is something IBS people experience? I need some encouragement! Thank you so much![This message has been edited by terrifictwo (edited 10-20-2000).]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Terrifictwo...Yes, I have started the last couple of days like this. I'm linking it to anxiety(hubby out of town) and hormones. I don't like it at any time of the day, but you're right...to have to begin a day all "wigged out" and in pain is no fun...kinda sets a nasty tone. Have you tried Mike's tapes? Sometimes if I begin a day like that, I will lie down and relax, listening to his soothing voice. Or, just do some deep breathing exercises...clear your mind and think positive thoughts. I know it's hard....but it helps take the edge off. Anti-anxiety meds don't hurt me any, either!
Hope you're feeling better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Wiggin! Love that name, by the way, decribes how I've been feeling lately! What are your IBS symptoms and were you diagnosed with a negative flexible sigmoidoscopy/colonoscopy? I have been thinking about an antidepressant lately because I can't remember a time in my life that I have been so wigged out! Between losing my dad a couple of months ago and these physical problems (one probably has to do with the other), I am exhausted. Most everything I have read about IBS says that weight loss is not a characteristic, but if you are anxious and cut out foods, such as dairy that you think are bothering you, I can't see how you wouldn't lose weight! I think maybe I have dropped 2 or 3 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My symptoms, eh?
Let's see....HUGE anxiety, abdominal cramping(although, not always), frequent,thin stools, Very occasional constipation, gas, all of this getting worse during PMS, times of stress or after dairy consumption. I haven't had the scopes yet...have to do that...scared scantless!I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mom over two years ago, while I was pregnant with my daughter. Then my husband moved us an hour away from family, his grandma passed away, and a week after my daughter was born...my husband LOST his company to the other co. he merged with! Needless to say, the recovery time has been considerable, and I doubt I will ever fully recover from the loss of my mom.Stress is my biggest trigger, but I can't figure out how to overcome as much as I need to. I also take xanax for anxiety, but would like to get off of that someday.I am getting re-involved with YOga and am hoping that it will ease some of my sypmtoms.Thanks for the compliment on my name...it's how I feel most of the time!
Take care...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds just like me, Wiggin. My husband's job moved us from New England to the West Coast (all of our family is in New England), lost my grandmother, whom I was very close with, Sept. 1999 and then my father recently.So, are you self diagnosing like me? I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that it is IBS (as I have lived a good part of my life with symptoms noted on the BB - I figure I will just plod along with it) and not something life threatening.Thanks for your responses, they have made me realize I am not alone!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. WigginI am very sorry for the loss of your mother. I know what you mean about feeling that you will never get over it. I have barely let myself grieve for my father yet. When I start to give in to it, it is just too painful and then I change the subject in my brain. Sometimes I am able to remember him and smile, but for the most part I just miss him too much. I know I need to deal with the grief. My friends (especially one with IBS) think my body is reacting since I won't let my brain.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Terrifictwo,I have a closer relationship with my body than most people I know (I mean, than most people know their OWN bodies!
)So, yes, with some of the things my GP told me several years ago and the fact that I haven't gotten "seriously" ill or lost a LOT of weight, I guess I'm 1/2 self-diagnosed. I trust what my body is telling me, even though it doesn't always feel too good.Our bodies have a way of letting us know something isn't right emotionally....there's a huge link there, I think. Some people get headaches, pinched nerves, tummy troubles, etc. I know I haven't dealt with everything regarding my mom, and I do the same thing you do when the pain gets too great...my brain just shuts off and goes in another direction.I have recently been giving writing everything down some serious thought. I used to keep a journal when I was in high school, adn I have to admit, those were the happiest days of my life. Time for me to put pen to paper...have to keep it together while my daughter is awake because she is sensitive and says"no cry, no cry..."and gets sad, too. Therapy is helpful, too, but I feel I've only scratched the surface...very scary to face all of those emotions.Time helps, but I miss my mom every day. She's in my heart, though, forever.Sorry, I'm rambling....PLease email me at DRDunne###aol.com if you want to talk more. Take care of yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your kind words. I would definitely be giving the same advice to someone if I was able to have a reasonably rational thought in my head! It definitely helps to have someone reassure you!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wanted to tell you I had similar problems and I am doing a lot better now!I have had IBS for over 38 years. My symtoms almost always came in the morning with bad cramps, thin loose stools, and watery discharge....2-3 hours in the bathroom. I had a bad time last spring when my sister's death (March 1998) finally hit me fully. Before that I hadn't allowed myself to think about it as she was my last living relative except for my kids. I got seriously depressed and during that time screwed up my relationship with my youngest daughter who, at age 17, moved out. So I went for counselling which helped a lot. Just talking out loud about your problems and having someone to discuss them with helps. Then I decided to get serious about finding solutions to my IBS problems and so far I am doing pretty good. I started taking Dicetel (only available in Canada) which minimized my symtoms. I changed to a low carbs diet, eliminated caffeine, eat a slice of sprouted grain bread every morning, drink a glass of Gatorade for muscle pain daily, and keep watching this BB for further suggestions. Sorry for rambling but my point is that you can help yourself if you keep trying. Don't give up, keep trying things until you find what works for you. IBS is very individualistic - what works for me won't necessarily work for you - but something will. Keep trying!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Me,Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am very sorry for the loss of your sister. I hope things are better with your daughter. I treasure my relationship with my mother, but at 17 it was a little different!I am taking some steps to help myself. I just found out where I can buy Ezekiel bread and I will get it tomorrow. I'm thinking of trying Caltrate, too, although I might hold off on that one until I see the GI doctor next week.Thanks again for your words - they are very encouraging![This message has been edited by terrifictwo (edited 10-20-2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.