Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm really struggling with uni at the mo, feel knackered and pretty yuck and can't keep up with the work. Don't like halls particularly and just generally feel totally lost even though i liked it at first. They're now suggesting i might have mild depression on top of everything else and i don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to stay here but then i don't know what else i'd rather do, and the more i struggle on the harder i'm finding it to do things.Can people give me any advice or help? should i keep struggling on here? and if not what else could i do? so lost and confused! and sick of crying all the time........why do i keep doing that? i never cry

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi The Cat, i'm at uni too,doing my second year and i know its hard but there is lots of help out there, have u talked to your doctor?? they might be able to offer u some help. I'm on a tablet called amitriptyline, which is an antidepressant but also helps my IBS, i'm not depressed far from it, but the tablet carms me down. Having a good diet helps too, try keeping a diary of what u eat and try to only eat things that u know u are ok with. Go and talk to your lecturers or tutor and explain to them that your struggling, i'm sure they will understand, my tutor is pretty cool about it and said if i needed anything, let him know. It might be embarrasing talking about it, but sometimes u need to just get on with it.I hope things sort themselves out, if u want to talk more then let me know, i check these messages everyday.Keep your chin up

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou for the quick reply.I tried amitriptyline for my stomach already, it didn't hv any effect though they are wondering if that's possibly why i'm so down at the mo cus i've come off that but it was a while ago now (5/6wks?) I get help from student support but that doesn't really help me with the essays which are piling up, just had to get an extention cus i was in no fit state to write it before. trying to do it tonight but it's really not going too well. don't particularly like this subject which doesn't help matters. drop it as soon as i can though not sure what else i'll do. I'm just not getting the work done and the worse it gets the less i can be bothered doing it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks people.I'm studying social anthropology plus modules in modern and medieval history. i love the social anthropology but it kinda takes a back seat to everything else.I'm just wondering at the mo whether sticking with it is the best thing or not. Maybe it is, I'm setting myself little targets, like at the mo surviving til the wknd when i'm going home (will no doubt have to discuss all this with the parentals) and then reading week. So many essays though. I will try and last out here til the end of first semester anyway, then i guess there might be the option of changing uni though i dunno if that's such a great idea or not. don't really know what to do.

·
Registered
431 Posts
sorry you are feeling so down at the moment. its good that you are setting little targets, its always good to do that. hopefully youll be able to use the weekend to relax and talk to your parents and go back to uni feeling a little better. take care xXx

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi Heth, this may sound weird but it works at times. After you have sat and thought about everything, such as, why did you enjoy it last year but not this year etc and if you are doing the right courses etc, try to relax and concentrate on the good stuff. Get a pen and paper and write down all the pros and cons, just get a good solid clear idea of it all. Then before you go to sleep get nice and relaxed and ask yourself the question you want answered. i.e. should i stay at uni? If you just leave it at that and try not to dwell on it, an answer should come to you over the next few days or so. You may be better trying it when you come home and are more relaxed.I know this sounds strange, but it is a form of meditating on the question. The answer should come from within you and you will know what to do. You may simply have a dream that you enjoying classes at that time, and will know to stay.Try it, it can't hurt!!
Lisa

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My advice.I'm also a college student.What are you going to college for? Are you going to please your parents... are you going because you really love what you're studying... are you going for you?I think I went to college to please my parents. I've realized, college isn't for me. I'm stopping after this year, because there's no point in me suffering through something I really don't want to do. If I was doing it for me, because I really wanted it, and thought college was just the greatest thing ever, I'd deal with the suffering. If you are going to college because you really want to be there, I would try my hardest if I was you to stick it out and overcome! It's just going to make the reward that much sweeter in the end. There are options. You could go part-time for a semester... You could even take a semester off (which might help you.. you could find a different med that works better for you which would make school easier.. or you could just take that time to relax and recover).Don't suffer through something you don't want to do becuase your heart will never be there.Overcome if your hearts in it and it's something YOU know YOU really want to do.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice. I might just try that. I came cus i wanted to. I guess to an extent to please my parents but mainly cus i normally enjoy studying nd cus i thought i'd love uni. i still thk i cud in a diff hall setup i dunno though. i don't know what to think anymore. I will spk to my parents though.and try that meditating thingy. its just really hard to know what i really think when i'm totally not being normal nayways

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.