Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, but I was hoping for some help! I just got out of the hospital from a two week stay because of severe pains I keep getting in my abdomen about a fist above my belly button. The pain knocks me to the ground and I can't do anything but cry shake and rock. They can't find anything wrong with me and since they diagnosed IBS 7 years ago they think it is that. THe pain is so bad they have me on morphine has anyone else had this this bad. As well as I was wondering how much sucess people were having with antidepresants. your help would be appreciated

· Registered
2,203 Posts
Yes I have been that bad many of times...Learn all you can about IBS because this board helped me more then any Doctors...Medication helps alot of people to control their IBS and make life manageable...Different things work for different people so you will learn what method works best for you...Hang in there and read alot of post because this will really help you to be more comfortable and know you are not alone

· Registered
919 Posts
I too have suffered really bad pains at times. Have you altered your diet at all? I realized yesterday that I cannot handle citric acid ( a common trigger for IBS sufferers). I would always drink Snapple and Kool Aid because it seems everything else except water and wine is out. I drink Kool-Aid at night (I'd buy the unsweetened one and use Splenda to sweeten it). Every morning I would wake up with extreme nausea. Things were hectic yesterday at work so my snapples (I usually drink three of them throughout the day) sat untouched. At the end of the day I was parched so I drank one. Shortly after, my stomach started to feel bloated and I had a lot of pain. Maybe it is coincidence, but I didn't have my evening five glasses of Kool-Aid and I didn't buy any Snapple today...just water and I woke up with no nausea and still feel pretty good. I never would have guessed that would have bothered me.As for the antidepressants I am currently taking Sam-e (started about 4 weeks ago) which is a daily supplement that works as and is used as an antidepressant and it works much faster. It contains an ingredient that is naturally found in the body, but is not readily available in the diet, so many people are deficient. I was considering the antidepressants because I had heard that it works with seratonin and so does sam-e. Here is an article taken from newsweek. I think the site that posted it may be selling sam-e, but just read the article for the info. If you decide to try it, I take the CVS brand. It's a lot cheaper than the others. http://www.32343.com/samearticle.htm I found that it has helped me significantly (although I still need to watch what I eat), with IBS and also with my disposition. I am definitely happier and my muscle aches are gone. As for the actual IBS, I can't say that it is just the Sam-e. I also take Perdiem (for C), Probiotics and a multivitamin. It's probably different for everyone, but I find I still need to watch my stress (almost impossible for me) and what I eat.Good Luck. I hope you are able to find some relief.kariYou didn't say if you were IBS-c or IBS-D. When I have experienced excrutiating pains like that I had been C for three weeks! I have found that the Probiotics help relieve trapped "air'" in the intestines as well.

· Registered
1,991 Posts
I am sorry I cannot offer any advice.
I hope someone here will see this and be able to help.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
I used to get pain in the top of my stomach that I learned were spasms. After I found this board I was able to identify some food sensitivities, to fructose and other sugars (including Splenda, which is made from sugar) and to eggs. I already knew I'm allergic to soy and sensitive to dairy.I drink only water and unsweetened tea, and I can tolerate diet coke but not too often. Those juice drinks are greatly overrated IMHO. The only drink essential to life is water.Holland, your pain could be a severe spasm, possibly caused by food sensitiviy. I_H8, you could be reacting to something else in the fruit drinks such as sugar, fructose, or the fruit itself. You should test the variables if you haven't already.This book explains food sensitivity for lay peopleFOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICATIONAND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and EnvironmentalMedicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 And this company has a blood test and treatment program for food sensitivitieswww.nowleap.comThey have an online form for you to fill out, and they determine from your symptoms if their program is likely to help you.If you're interested in discussion about food sensitivity and the LEAP treatment program, please see the Food/Nutrition forum.Holland, if your spasm isn't caused by food sensitivity, it might be post-traumatic stress or something like that. Good luck everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.