Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new to this group, and glad I found it because desperate times call for desperate measures.This month I begin my third year of debilitating pain and diarrhea. My symptoms started in May '08 - severe diarrhea and lower right quadrant abdominal pain. I have a history of endometriosis and was always constipated before this started. The confusion is that I have a cyst in my iliopsoas muscle, which is where the pain starts. The cyst hurts pretty much all the time, but I can handle it until an "episode" starts. My diarrhea is almost always in the morning and I have from 2 - 6 bm's a day. The more BM's I have, the worse the pain is. I've been told by 3 or 4 doctors that my symptoms are not typical of IBS because my pain is AFTER BM's, that people with IBS have their pain before a BM and the pain is relieved. But after reading some of your stories, I wonder.My doctor (one of 14 I've seen) called today and wants to schedule surgery to remove the cyst, which is in very close proximity to the Femoral artery, which complicates matters. He has never heard of this before and can't find a surgeon who has either.I've had all the normal tests (colonoscopies, CT, MRI, etc.) that have come back normal, with the exception of the cyst. I take Lotronex and Immodium daily. I've tried lactose and gluten free diets, had physical therapy and gone to a voodoo doctor, none of which helped. I've lost over 20 pounds.Does any of this sound familiar to anybody? Thanks for your time and consideration. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It makes me laugh (and cry) when I read what doctors say about IBS. IBS pain can occur anytime that the colon is active and, if the colon is hypersensitive, can be anytime and sometimes, all the time. The colon gets activated at many times; first thing in the morning, after eating etc. and not just before a BM. Having the cyst removed may relieve you of some amount of pain but possibly not that much. It's hard to tell from a short post but it sounds risky for the amount of relief that you'll get but only you can really tell that. However, getting any sort of relief may be worthwhile......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.