Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help! i finally got my dream job , but its in the city, and the ride is 20 minutes. what is there to do? i was thinking of waking up 3 hours before, but still, the whole idea of going there haunts me. please helP!!!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know that some people take immodium the night before as a preventative tip. You will probably be anxious and excited with the new job so your IBS might kick into high gear. Getting up early may help you ease some of that so that you have time to empty. I get anxious as well and it sometimes helps to have the "just in case" pants/outfit, baby wipes, etc. and maybe even wear depends. Possibly bring some music with or something to help keep your mind off it? Let us know how it goes. Congrats!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Firstly congrats on the dream job!! thats fantastic!!
I think I could have posted this! Im starting a new job in 2 weeks time as well and i have to travel, i'll be traveling for 2.5 hours everyday and i am freaking out!Im going to start taking a presciption medication- havent decided what yet. Immodium is usually a life saver for me, if im feeling nervous i do take 2 as a preventative, and then i feel confident that I wont have such a serious attack if i do and then that usually settles me down.What are you taking now? Let me know how you go, and if you find something that works for you, please let me in on it!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guyswell, its 5 in the morning and ive got two hours before i take the public train...wish me luck..i also have a fever, so this fever will definitely keep my mind off of having a stomache ache. ill be wearing my diapers as well..****, this is so embarrassing. pray for me!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Jade,Wow, having IBS-D and riding BART from Daly City to downtown San Francisco...I applaud your courage and your determination!!! When I was living in SF, I was absolutely terrified of BART and MUNI for the exact same reasons you mentioned.And even if you use diapers or Imodium to get through the tough trip, so what? I just think it's so impressive that you're not going to let IBS completely rule your life. WAY TO GO!!! I can't wait to hear how the big day went for you.Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timhow did you know that i was taking the bart from daly city to san francisco? do you know me???? i dont know you . ive never told anyone where i live or where im from. ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Jade-No, I'm pretty sure we don't know each other - although SF is such a small city that you never know, maybe we do. And don't worry, I'm not stalking you, either.
LOL.No, actually, if you look at the bottom of all your posts, it says "Location: Daly City." So that was my first clue. Then, when you said you were going into "the city" for work, I just assumed you meant San Francicso because that's how everybody refers to downtown. Finally, having lived out there for ten years, I knew that BART was the only train you could take between those two spots. Voila! I'm a regular Dick Tracy, huh?I hope I didn't expose you by blowing your covert IBS status out there.
Tim

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hope your day went well and things just keep getting better for you. If you get the mindset that you're going to have an attack, you probably will. Give yourself time in the morning to empty out some, and then if you have to, I suggest taking Immodium with you in case you start to feel crampy and feel like you might need to go. Get the chewables and you can pop a couple of them. Also, if you work on the mindset that "I'm not going to be sick on the train", you'd be amazed at how well that works. It is a brain-gut disorder, remember. I understand Mike's audio tapes works wonders for this kind of thing, and member after member have posted on here their great success. Maybe look into that! Hope you love your new job as much as you think you will! Congrats!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi guysim so upset at myself!! ok, so i started this new job, and i came down with Strep throat. Darn, im so mad!!! anytway, thanks for your advice.ive found that if i do the following,i can take public transportation:1. wake up at 4 am to go to work at 82. take 2 lomotil pills 3. wear diapers4. watch everything that i eat5. sleep at 10 pm6. take digestive enzymes, and vitamin d7. drink plenty of water8. listen to music9. drink peppermint tea (trader joes)10. rub strong peppermint lotion on meafter doing all these things, i can finally take public transportation.thank god!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.