Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new here - just found out about it in a book. I was wondering if I list out my symptoms if anyone on this list could identify it as IBS - I've had every test done possible with no results.-stomach pain - worse before eating - bloated after eating-bad lower abdominal gas-loose "ribbon/flattened stools"Anyone else experience these?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same here, had all the above symptoms. Seems like doctors diagnose IBS by ruling out the other mimicking illnesses. Had any alternating periods of diarhhea or constipation? That is usually one of the major symptoms too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've had an Encoscopy done and they said my stomach looked completely healthy. They HAD thought it was a gastric or duodenal ulcerand had me on Prevacid for 2 months with NO results. I also tried Nexium. So I know that over-producing of acid doesn't hurt me but itseems that my problem might be not-enough acid. I've also done the Barium X-Rays and Colonoscopy with everything looking very healthy. Every day its the same but I can't find ANYONE who has similar symptoms:=======================================================7:30 - Wake up feeling pretty good.10:00 am - usually have my daily bowel movement. usually some urgencyassociated with it. no straining, very loose/flattened stool (no water)10:30 - 11:00 am - start feeling some pain and cramping in stomachassociated with gurgling. Feels like a burning contraction at times andwill pretty much continue until I eat lunch.12:00 pm - eat lunch, cramping pain goes away immediately, relativelypain free while eating.1:00 pm - dull aching and pain ensues in stomach off and on for a couplehours4:30 - 5:00 pm - If I had a small lunch, my hunger cramps will repeatagain until I eat dinner5:30 pm - eat dinner, if it exists, cramping pain goes away immediately,relatively pain free while eating.7:00 pm - dull aching and pain ensues in stomach off and on for a couplehoursAnd then I go to sleep and do it all over again. I rarely am awakened at night with stomach cramps. I rarely go to the bathroom more than once a day. I've experienced some urgency but never desperation in finding a toilet. I've never reacted to a certain food right after eating it. Tried diets with no avail. It seems that no matter WHAT I eat, my stomach will hurt and I'll have very loose stool. I haven't really had a problem with constipation (straining/hard stool) at all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Relatively, I lead a almost same life like yours...and surprisingly, not until u actually typed it out tt I view it in such detail too. Seriously, I think many of the people here on the bb would tell you that they are facing the same thing. IBS is all that you have said, bloating, constant stomach aches and cramps, loose BMs... Just want to assure you that IBS sufferers do face the same thing like you, and unless your doctor suspects tt you have other conditions tt can mimick IBS, you could get started on reducing stomach spasms and aches by taking on some antispasmodics, looking into your diet (although it is always discouraging when you nv see improvements), and of course therapeutic ways. Maybe you should clear your doubts with your doc first; and if you come back with a referential diagnosis of IBS, tt I want to assure you that IBS literally is Irritable Bowel, and if you feel uncomfortable with your colon and have ruled out other illnesses, that symptoms you have stated is completely in the scope of IBS.All the best with your condition and may god bless you!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your quick and encouraging reply. The frustrating thing for me is that I was initially diagnosed with IBS back in April by my Gastroenterologist. Because his prescriptions weren't helping, I decided to get a second opinion by another Gastroenterologist who said "Absolutely not!". He said it sounded more like Non-Ulcerative Dyspepsia - and then further said there was nothing he could do about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What medications were you on then? And what about your current gastro who told you about his new diagnosis? What led him to the conclusions? Maybe it could be important to ask him why it was not IBS, and what findings he got that led him to his current conclusion. What about medications now? Taking any?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are so many medications you can take for IBS, if one doesn't work try another. There are alot of IBS sufferers that have taken (IBS)medicines that didn't work for them. I've spent around $200 a month to $3 a month on different types of medicines, some worked, some didn't. Luckily for me the non-presciption $3 vitamins worked for me, but they didn't work for everybody else. Just a suggestion, but you might what to think about trying another remedy/medicine to help settle down what you where diagnosed with the first time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically, the doc's diagnoses was based on the tests coming back negative and my daily regimen of pain/irritation. Funny how 2 GI's can come up with 2 totally different diagnosis'.Well, the first batch of meds I was on (not counting Prevacid) was called AMP (made by Molocure). This was also accompanied by a strict diet. This helped in relieving my diarrhea and gas but didn't touch the stomach pain. I've since tried countless other types of Anti-Spasmodics, Anti-Depressents, and enough different natural pills to fill a room. Nothing has given any long-term help and I've spent about $6,000 so far on tests and meds.
I'm currently taking a product called ThreeLac. It's a Candida/Yeast killer. I've been told by a few doctors that Candida and IBS are the same thing. ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Paul - your symptoms are identical, completely, to what mine were before the diagnosis (of IBS). Symptoms may vary somewhat (e.g. pain and bloating may migrate). Call your doctor, though, and explain the symptoms. Don't suggest IBS. Let the doctor reach that conclusion. btw, a colonoscopy ain't so bad, and the meds for the procedure are absolutely wonderful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I went through the Colonoscopy... it was the prep that killed me, but the shot they gave me during it sent me to "happy land".
These responses have been helpful. I didn't know other people had the stomach pain/diarrhear combo. Well, its nice to know I'm not alone, but has anyone found any relief with these symptoms?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm suprised they didn't DX you with IBS after all the other tests were negative. That's usually what they all fall back on and I think It's being used too often and incorrectly now when they don't know what else to do. Just like the wonderful ADD and such DX's for children that have too much activity for a lazey teacher. You probably do have IBS if you have that much discomfort, you should go to a Gastro Dr. for a second opinion, if you haven't already. Also there are alot of natural products that I've found helpful, such as, IBS intestinal bowel support vitamins by Renew Life. You can find them at the health food store and I find that the people at those stores can offer much advice and suggestions for products. Good Luck and don't let them take out your Gall Bladder, LOL. Let me know how you come out"tamaleea###yahoo.com

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just went to check up on some medical resources and I found out that the distinguishing difference between Non-ulcerative dyspepsia and IBS is the location of pain. Patients with non-ulcerative dyspepsia suffered from pain in the upper abdomen (above the belly button); therefore doctors confused this more with gastorintestinal diseases associated with the upper abdomen (accordingly heartburn and GERD) IBS is related more to the central and lower abdomen, and including BM related problems (constipation and diarrhea) They are very different conditions. In short, you need to consider two factors in determining which one you may have, 1.where is the pain? Upper, central or lower abdomen? 2. DO you have any BM-related problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct. Studies have ALSO shown that a great number of people who have been diagnosed with IBS are ALSO diagnosed with non-ulcerative Dyspepsia. Dyspepsia is basically Irritable Stomach Syndrome. I think different parts of the entire intestinal track (from the mouth to the anus) can be spastic and cause pain and irritation.All pain is right between the bottom of my ribcage and my bellybutton (in other words, the bottom half of my stomach). The pain started within days of the diarrhea that I've had for 7 months, so I am confident that they are related.I think that Dyspepsia and IBS are more connected that most people think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In other words you do have constant diarrhea AND pain in the upper abdomen I suppose? Then do you have any pain in the lower or central abdomen? Did you mention the diarhhea part to your current doctor then? Seems like dyspepsia isn't really much associated with colon problems.I see your point here. Though I wouldn't say that they are really related, but in your case, I think you should analyse it with your doc. It's probable that you may have some other conditions that mimick both non-ulcerative dyspepsia and IBS.Good luck with your condition...should anything crop up, feel free to update us. Do try some alternative medicines too, don't give up.May god bless you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Paul - you asked about relief from they symptoms. Regrettably relief is elusive. The symptoms wax and wane, they migrate, and sometimes I take notice that they're absent. But for me, they come back. Compared to others on this site, though, I'm a newbie. Its really just too early to tell for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had LOTS of emergency trips in the past for constipation, gas bubbles the size of a large grapefruit, and diaria so bad that I have passed out and woke up in the hospital. I also had pain in my stomach and when there was no pain in my stomach I was left with a constant burning, irritated feeling. BUT your question was is there any relief for people with these symptoms, and I can say YES. I have found relief. Just keep trying and hopefully you will find something that works for you soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Paul,Has anyone mentioned Cholestryamine (Questran)?I have IBS-D with cramping. I did have a severe pain in the sternum area that came in what I call "attacks" but now that I am taking Questran, the pain is under control as well as the D. I take one scoop in the morning and one scoop in the evening before bed. My severe pain we think is due to my gallbladder being removed and too much bile. Once the bile hits my colon, it spasms which causes pulling on the other organs due to some adhesions from past surgeries which causes the severe pain. The Questran binds the bile therefore my colon doesn't get irritated and doesn't spasm. An added benefit of Questran is it is really a cholesterol lowering medication so it keeps my cholesterol under control as well. If you have any questions, feel free.Jleigh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Personally for me, I found relief from my constant pain in the stomach by taking Mebeverine Tab (haven't heard of it being mentioned here before though).Works for me because it relaxes me stomach muscles. And I also started having more regular BM by drinking fibre. That's my personal remedy after trying a couple of other medications.Hope you can find your cure soon! Don't give up though, it takes some time. And would you be seeing your doctor soon on the dyspepsia-IBS link? Sorry if I had sounded a little know-it-all in my prev mssgs
, I was just a little confused on why these two conditions could actually be so similar...BUt anyway, I sincerely hope things get better for you soon! God bless!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.