Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone and thanks for replies to my previous posts. As I mentioned before I am going through an episode of EXTREME IBS problems. I am also therefore severely laking in nutritional intake, since I am only able to eat at night and in small amounts, and mostly liquids. After 5 days of this, I am now so weak that I am shaky and dizzy.
I am sipping water, gatorade, boost, etc. in order to help me get nutrition.I have become so out of it that I have begun to panic mentally and physically. My mother (whom I live with) refuses to have anything to do with me, or to talk to me at all. She won't even drive me to a doctor's office. My doctor is unavailable by phone today, as well. I am pleading with her to talk to me and help but she refuses and says she is going to stay at a friend's house for 4 days.This puts me home alone with my sister (who will be at school most of the time), while I am so dangerously ill. I am scared I am going to die from lack of food, but eating makes me feel so sick.
I need to get over this episode FAST. Much more of this and I think I will be so drained of nutrients I will go into shock. Also, I am supposed to restart school classes on Tuesday evening. If I am not at school by Thursday I will most likely have to drop out of this college semester.
I have hopes of being able to go to work by wednesday night and return to my social life with my boyfriend by fridayl, but for all I know these are pipe dreams and by wednesday I will be in the hospital and by friday I will be dead. I AM SO ALONE!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dear iJONO, Please don't lose hope. There is always hope. You are doing the right thing by sipping liquids. You might try soup also. That is something I am able to eat even when I don't feel like it and it gives me some energy. Can your boyfriend or sister help you? Keep trying your doctor and get them to take you seriously. Please remember that you have a lot of worth and I care about you even though I don't know you. Lynne.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Lynne, thank you. Things are looking bleak. I tried some boost nutritional shake and it made me very nautieous. My mother is determined to leave me home alone regardless of my condition. She refuses to drive me to a doctor, etc. My sister is too young to drive or help. My boyfriend wants to help but lives nearly an hour away. He is willing to drive me to the hospital, but what that will do to helo, I don't know.
I created a calendar of 'hope'... things I want to be well enough to do over the next month. As the days tick away it seems less and less likely I will be able to do any of them.
My boyfriend is the only one willing to help but I don't think he can and I worry he is loosing patience. He has talked of seeing a therapist himself, to help him deal with this. I just want my life and relationship back!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jon - YOU NEED TO GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. I'm telling you, this is EXACTLY how I was and I had a gallbladder stone!! I thought it was IBS also. They did a double contrast die CT scan and ultrasound for me. They will give you pain medication. They also gave me some type of Zyla?? something or other that numbed my stomach and esophogas. It made it possible to eat easier.They need to ultrasound your gallbladder and find out if you have stones. These symptoms are exactly what I had and I did not eat for 7 whole days. I lost 10 pounds and I was so weak and dizzy that I actually passed out.YOU HAVE TO GET HELP. Yes, it "might" just be a bad bout of IBS but the doctors will confirm it for sure and help you with solutions to your problem. I know how upset you are but you need to go in and get the support of the professionals.PLEASE help yourself and get to the ER - even if you have to call 911.

G

·
God bless you - why won't your mum help? Can you stay with your boyfriend who sounds like a good egg? Yes, I'd get hold of some medical bod who'll treat all this seriously. You can't possibly be left with a little sister on your own. Please hang in there - it WILL get better. Stay in touch via this board.Take careSue, Manchester

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boost is full of milk and gatorade is full of sugar and citric acid all of which irritate IBS. Give your digestive system a break. I would drink water (8oz), no ice, with apple cider vinegar (1tsp) and honey (1tsp) ( a sugar, yes, but the most natural and slowly absorbed type of sugar). Add more vinegar and honey as desired. The apple cider vinegar will help reduce bloating and the honey will give you some blood sugar slowly, and of course water will hydrate you. This has always helped me.God bless.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to see two doctors today and was examined. I am starting on DICETEL immediately. I have an ultrasound booked for tomorrow afternoon... and I just tried to eat some toast. We'll see what happens. Thank you for your support... sometimes this the only place I have to turn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm having a very weird day. I experienced some weird sense of relief from my symoptoms and depression this afternoon in which they became a little less severe. I also managed to eat some toast, as mentioned above... while taking DICETEL.Unfortunately, now I feel terrible gas/cramps/urgency and I fear I may get horrible D. I have suddenly become a nervous, sobing wreck.
I keep thinking that this will never go away... and that my boyfriend and I will never get to enjoy a normal relationship. I miss the times I spent with him so terribly. Now I am too sick to do anything.
I have recently had on/off episodes but this is horrible... I feel like even if I do get over it, it'll just come back... I can't stop panicing and crying. I feel like I've lost all hope of ever being able to enjoy a nice evening with my boyfriend at his house, ever again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In the fear of sounding like a broken record.....I would realllllllly suspect that gallbladder! Did you get the ultrasound results back yet? I felt exactly like you. I would eat 2 bites of toast, or a spoon of yogurt and I felt swelled up like a house. Gas, bloating, pain, diarehea, nausea, weakness, chest pain, back pain, etc. It may have absolutely nothing to do with gallbladder, but it will sure be interesting to find out what they see in there!Keep us posted Jon. How are you feeling today? I found that really hot showers helped me. I would put a stool in the shower and sit on it until all the hot water ran out. The soothing heat eased the cramps and bloating.Ginger ale is also excellent. But it needs to be really STRONG! Stewarts brand is excellent, also something called Ginger Beer but I can't remember the manufacturer. Ginger is long tied to digestive upsets. A friend of mine was loaded with gallstones and suffered continuous attacks. The strong ginger ale is the only thing that gave her a normal life.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Jon,I'm hoping you're feeling better...maybe stay of the toast for a little while, as you could be wheat intolerant. Try a diet free of wheat, yeast, dairy and citric acid, just to let your system recover and build itself up again. Sometimes I feel like crying too (last night I actually did) as I feel alone too, but you sound like you have a great boyfriend, so treat him like a king and always make sure that he knows you're grateful for all his help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
posted 11 May 2005 03:02 PMHello. Yesterday I went for me ultrasound and it seems to be normal. I went all day with bits of gas here or there, but for the most part I was just really dizzy. My boyfriend visited me after the ultrasound, but I was too dizzy to do much. For the first time in days I even ate a full dinner followed by a cup of peppermint tea.I was actually feeling quite hopefully. Then, about 30-45 min after dinner my stomach began to ache everywhere and I passed some gas... suddenly it was diarhea time! I had to rush to the washroom 3 times with the most horrible D. It was gross: non-stop with tons of gas! What scared me though was the colour: it was sometimes yellow, but also a rusty colour! COULD THAT MEAN BLOOD?!?!?!? I almost had to go to the hopspital, but after 3 Immodium Advanced and 1 Buscopan pill, it finally stopped. I feel very weak and dehydrated this morning, but I am so scarred to put anything in me... I am still cramping.Also, I have a therapist appointment in 1 hour, which I could really use, but I'm terrified of being away from the washroom... or even moving around too much. I have a goal of being able to spend the night at my boyfriend's house on friday but with sudden attacks like that, it is looking less and less likely.How can my body even be getting enough nutrients with D like that? I'm so scared and so full of depression!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.