Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, do any of the female members have Bladder spasms with IBS?Before i knew i had IBS i was back and forth to my doctor because i was not fully emptying my bladder, i might only pass a tiny amount in a day.I had a pelvic and bladder scan and all is well so when i was told i had IBS and started on antispasmodics i was passing water frequently and have no problem now.Is it possible that when the intestines go into spasm your bladder can also?I also suffered the same cramp pain in my bladder.Appreciate any reply.Tina

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you are talking about a spasm in the lower pelvic area that feels like a labor pain, yes I get them every so often. They hurt like hell for a min, or so and then fade away til the next one hits. There was a product called Cystex. small red pills for bladder infection that helped some, but guess what, like with all good products,it has faded away. I cannot find it anymore.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply knothappy regarding Bladder spasm.When i have it with intestine spasm i find i do not pass urine until i take an antispasmodic, like i said i have had pelvic scans and all is ok.Can you tell me if the Doctor on this forum can see these posts or do we have to contact him.Thanks again,Tina.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I have a diagnosis for both Overactive bladder and IBS.Both are treated with antispasmodics, but I think they are unrelated. Both are common, so it is likely quite a few people have both.Both are treated with antispasmodics.Now my bladder spasms tend to be more of a gotta go vs can't go.Sometimes I get them right after going and it is really annoying to get gotta go when there is nothing to go. Sometimes the bladder spasms can be painful for me (and they may be can't go, but since they always come after going it is hard to tell), and taking my IBS antispasmodics clear that right up.I asked the doctor what the difference between bladder antispasmodics and bowel antispasmodics were and he said basically which disease they got tested for. They are chemically related so it is probable that what works for one would work for the other. Funny the bowel ones work better for my bladder than the bladder ones
K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you,K, for your reply i thought i was alone with this bladder problem.I have tried to e-mail folk that replied to me to thank them but i see now i can't as when i filled in my form to register i did not realise that i said i did not want e-mails, i was having problems filling in the form, i am new to all this, please excuse.Thanks much to all for the help.Tina.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know you solicited responses from women but I thought I would cast my 2 cents to the pot. After sitting on the can for an excessive amount of time, I subsequently have to make multiple returns to urinate. Always thought the bowels/intestines were physically irritating my prostate. God only knows what is going on down there (my gastro guy and urologist don't seem to have a clue).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ibs_hiker,thanks for your input.Yes i found my gastro and uroligist guys don't know what is going on.I had the camera up and down and everything looked fine, also had a pelvic scan and all was ok there,it was only when i started to take antispasmodics that my bladder started to work normal,but at times it can act up but is much better than it was,so my conclusion is that the bladder in some people must also go into spasm with ibs,i don't understand why?Many thanks again for the response.Tina.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dear Brona:After a bad bout of D, I always have an "irritable bladder" episode. I think it is from pressure in the general area. It seems to refer to the bladder area from the bowel. Just another annoying thing to add to the list.much love and light to you, m-

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sometimes feel like I'm getting a bladder infection when I'm not--one time this happened on the heels of a major IBS attack that took me to the ER after almost a week of intense pain.So that theory that the bladder acts up following the colon makes sense to me.Astrid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts