Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, feeling particularly pukey tonight - had the lasagna in my college dining hall, which was a bad call. Which brings me to my point. Anyone have suggestions for eating safely in a dining hall. My life would be sooo much easier if I could cook for myself. I get tired of eating salad and plain chicken breast all the time but everything else in the dining hall involves cheese or is goopy. The soup is ok sometimes, but I just hit that point where digging around and creating my own meals out of whatever is in the dininghall is too much effort, and I just get the goopy stuff, and then I regret it. So, there is a dorm fridge and kitchen and I have a car but I don't have time to cook for myself all the time, so if anyone has been through the dining hall deal and has some pointers or favorite dining hall creations, that would be great. Thanks!S

·
Banned
221 Posts
Your story is exactly that of our friends son. His prayers were answered when the dining hall caterers advertised for a part- time student kitchen hand. He got the job and was then able to help himself to all the goodies. Used to smuggle stuff out to his room, all the best stuff from the fridge!

·
Banned
221 Posts
Your story is exactly that of our friends son. His prayers were answered when the dining hall caterers advertised for a part- time student kitchen hand. He got the job and was then able to help himself to all the goodies. Used to smuggle stuff out to his room, all the best stuff from the fridge!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I soo know what you mean! The food in my hall made me REALLY sick! I am afraid to say that I have no miracle answers beyond cooking yourself! I stuck to bread and salads...and anything plain! It is boring but personally I find it is better to eat boring food than be ill! Of course every now and then treat yourself to something rich, but for god sake not the Hall food! If your hall is anything like mine then the food is awful, so get in your car and buy your own stuff!!I spent my second year in a house, so I cooked my own meals and my IBS got much better (combined with Homeopathy!)However through reasons beyond my control, I am moving back into halls next week, so I am suffering the same problem as you! I have decided just to cook for myself as it saves a lot of body hassle.Good luck with it!!I am here if you want to talk to someone in the same situation!Taraxxx

·
Registered
55 Posts
I soo know what you mean! The food in my hall made me REALLY sick! I am afraid to say that I have no miracle answers beyond cooking yourself! I stuck to bread and salads...and anything plain! It is boring but personally I find it is better to eat boring food than be ill! Of course every now and then treat yourself to something rich, but for god sake not the Hall food! If your hall is anything like mine then the food is awful, so get in your car and buy your own stuff!!I spent my second year in a house, so I cooked my own meals and my IBS got much better (combined with Homeopathy!)However through reasons beyond my control, I am moving back into halls next week, so I am suffering the same problem as you! I have decided just to cook for myself as it saves a lot of body hassle.Good luck with it!!I am here if you want to talk to someone in the same situation!Taraxxx

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Aside from cooking for yourself, how about telling them you have specific food requirements and tell them what you can't eat...I'm sure they make exceptions for vegetarians/food allergies anyway - so it might be worth a try.Secondly, if you can't eat there food tell them of the problem and ask for a refund otherwise your throwing your money away on food you can't eat.Also whatabout keeping a back up of stuff in the fridge in the dorm just in case they pull out yet another gloopy dinner....things like stir fries, salads only take about five minutes and you can control what you put in them. I think there are student cookbooks about with plenty of ideas of cheap yet tasty meals if your working to a strict budget - so perhaps getting one of those may be a great idea.Perhaps you could organise turns between your friends once a week to cook a meal for all of you - then eating won't necessarily have to be an isolating experience.I really feel for you - I can remember back to hall food and it wasn't a pleasant experience
Good Luck,Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Aside from cooking for yourself, how about telling them you have specific food requirements and tell them what you can't eat...I'm sure they make exceptions for vegetarians/food allergies anyway - so it might be worth a try.Secondly, if you can't eat there food tell them of the problem and ask for a refund otherwise your throwing your money away on food you can't eat.Also whatabout keeping a back up of stuff in the fridge in the dorm just in case they pull out yet another gloopy dinner....things like stir fries, salads only take about five minutes and you can control what you put in them. I think there are student cookbooks about with plenty of ideas of cheap yet tasty meals if your working to a strict budget - so perhaps getting one of those may be a great idea.Perhaps you could organise turns between your friends once a week to cook a meal for all of you - then eating won't necessarily have to be an isolating experience.I really feel for you - I can remember back to hall food and it wasn't a pleasant experience
Good Luck,Clair

G

·
This happened too me in college (actually, I was gaining weight like crazy off of their food, and just having lost 40 pounds, I didn't need that!), so my doctor wrote a letter to the Dean of Women asking that I be allowed to eat on my own instead of in the dining hall. That way, I went to the student restaurant on campus and bought my own food with the money my parent's saved, or was able to buy meals one at a time in the dining hall when they had things I could eat.Worked for me!

G

·
This happened too me in college (actually, I was gaining weight like crazy off of their food, and just having lost 40 pounds, I didn't need that!), so my doctor wrote a letter to the Dean of Women asking that I be allowed to eat on my own instead of in the dining hall. That way, I went to the student restaurant on campus and bought my own food with the money my parent's saved, or was able to buy meals one at a time in the dining hall when they had things I could eat.Worked for me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.