Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could I possibly be eating to cause so much gas and discomfort. I don't eat dairy, wheat, or liquor, don't smoke- no meat- I take pb8- use beano if I have brocollai ( which I try not to eat) what veggies and fruits should I avoid? Need help big time- Jerry

G

·
You could be fructose intolerant. Try 4 glasses/day of tomato juice for a coup;e of days and see if you get gas and/or D. You might have to avoid all veggies and fruit initially and introduce them one at a time every few days and see if you can tolerate them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you probably need to cut out most fruit, and starchy vegetables. also grain. the best fruit to eat is avocado, olives(not the kind from a jar), coconut, and organic berries. what helps me the most is eating a big green salad everyday with olive oil and vinegar instead of soy oil-filled commercial dressing. raw kale is great for you. conventional lettuces are chock full of pesticides like berries, so try to get organic. a certain chain of wholesale stores carries a pound of organic salad mix for about 4$.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Jerry,I have the same problem and as you do. I have the same diet but I am still gassy. There were times when I was afraid to eat anything. I think it was Bonnie-i who posted an article about gas production based on anxiety and stress. (BTW, thank you Bonnie-I for posting all the great links!)Just a thought. Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I WONDERED IF IN FACT STRESS IS A PART OF THIS- WHAT DO YOU DO TO DEAL W/ THAT?
quote:Originally posted by AchtungBaby:Hi Jerry,I have the same problem and as you do. I have the same diet but I am still gassy. There were times when I was afraid to eat anything. I think it was Bonnie-i who posted an article about gas production based on anxiety and stress. (BTW, thank you Bonnie-I for posting all the great links!)Just a thought. Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jerry,I am taking St. John's Wort capsules now and do think that I am not so anxious anymore. It has gotten better. I spent almost a year at home because I did not want to be among other people. The fear that they would notice that I have leaky gas was overwhelming to me. I think I was getting paranoid as well. I also started to exercise.

G

·
Re: stress and gas. There are a couple of different ways for stress to cause gas. Stress can change the flora. So maybe having probiotics which is a large dose of the good bacteria will help. Secondly, stress can alter motility to cause undigested food to pass through to the colon, enough to cause gas but not D. So meds which slow down motility could help. For e.g Lotronex if you have D. Thirdlydiffusion of gas from blood to lumen is determined by visceral tone which in turn is regulated by autonomic nervous system. So sudden relaxation or stressing out can change the visceral tone and allow for diffusion of gas from blood to the lumen of the small intestine. Anti spasmodics could prevent these sudden events. Fourthly to be relaxed all day long, perhaps anti-anxiety meds could help. Note that you should discuss all these options with your doc, I am just drawing a conclusion from my considerable but still limited knowledge.However I think it is worth checking into whether you are fructose intolerant or not.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: There are a couple of different ways for stress to cause gas.
Right now, I'm writing this, it's April 1st. Does that mean you're putting us on?
quote: Stress can change the flora.
Yeah, I suppose I can imagine a bacterium too depressed to make gas.
quote:Secondly, stress can alter motility to cause undigested food to pass through to the colon, enough to cause gas but not D.
So, while food is in the small intestine, things are a whirring, it's every nutrient for itself, but then once they arrive in the colon, there's a sudden gridlock. Perhaps they dropped their colonic ez-pass back in stomach. Went by so fast you know.
quote:Thirdlydiffusion of gas from blood to lumen is determined by visceral tone
Oh, visceral tone acts like a ziplock bag. Wonder if we can see the color change--what's it yellow to green?--on an x-ray.(in all seriousness, stress certainly can alter the gut's functioning, but there's no evidence or good biological reason to think it impacts gas production.)

G

·
Oh I missed this post when I came earlier on.HOW STRESS ALTERS INTESTINAL MICRO FLORA:�Along with other endogenous and exogenous factors which may interfere in the regulation of various pathways that control the intestinal microflora, physical and psychological stress seem to play a crucial role.��In order to estimate the influence of psychological stress on the intestinal microflora composition, repeated restraint stress was used as a stress paradigm. Faecal indicator bacteria (aerobic and anaerobic) were used to assess the microbiological profile of the intestinal flora.��Numbers of C. perfringens were estimated and compared to those of E. coli. Higher numbers of vegetative forms of the anaerobic bacterial indicator C. perfringens were found in stress-exposed animals as compared with controls and with pre-stress conditions.�http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/app/...ults,1:102100,1�Stress also results in increased bacterial adherence and decreased luminal lactobacilli. As a result of all these changes luminal antigens may gain access to the epithelium, causing inflammation.�http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi...36.2002.01359.x�The balance between host defenses and normal flora (organisms present to some degree in healthy individuals) may be upset by stress and lead to pathological conditions.�http://www.indstate.edu/nurs/mary/pnipost.htm�Natural killer cell activity plays a vital role of the immune system to fight against viral and cancer cells in the body. Secretory IgA is the first line of defense of the immune system lining the gastrointestinal tract, mouth, lungs, urinary tract and other body cavities. Any decline in these levels decreases one�s resistance to bacteria, viruses and parasites. A single five minute experience of anger can produce a significant decrease in secretory IgA up to five hours afterwards.�"Diffuson of gas from blood to lumen affected by visceral tone fromGastroenterologic aspects of manned spaceflight: comments on gastrointestinal gas and environmental stress. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 150(1):40-8, 1968 Feb 26.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...st_uids=7835573it seems like he varies gastric tone by changing volume and pressure. If you relax the stomach or any other part of the viscera, you are going to increase the volume and thus change the tone and reduce the pressure of the gases quote: "With stress, the transit rate of intestinal contents may be accelerated. As a result large quantities of undigested foodstuffs may be be delivered to the colon, where fermentation and the production of excess gas occur. " From Flatulence:pathophysiology and Treatment by M. M. Van Ness and E. Cattau quote: ..."intestinal hypermotility, particularly with an increase in small-bowel segmenting movements as seen at fluoroscopy, couplesd with an increase in mucus, favors the production in the small intestine of mucus entrapped gas or "frothing" which may be seen radiologicallly as loculated smal l intestinal gas.....Upon occasion, food materials may be coated with mucus and hurried into the colon , where these partially digested substrates favor fermentative changes in the colon. Enzyme supplememntation is frequently efficacious in therse circumstances. " from -" The Clinical Gas Syndromes- A Pathophysiologic approach" by Ivan Danhof .The paper went on to say if motility is sufficiently rapid, diarrhea may be produced.5 high amplitude peristaltic contractions will not produce diarrhea but the undigested food stuff will cause gas

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
The above is true only for another 23 hours, then back to reality (and stress
)

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Ok I am going to try once more and flux, please don't say it is still April's fool.I am really interested in anything you can factually give me. While your analogies were very imaginative, losing their colonic ezpasses LOL, I have answers for each of them
quote:quote: Stress can change the flora. Yeah, I suppose I can imagine a bacterium too depressed to make gas.
Well I gave proof in my earlier post that stress can change flora. Oh I remember your joke about depressed bacteria
quote: quote: Secondly, stress can alter motility to cause undigested food to pass through to the colon, enough to cause gas but not D. So, while food is in the small intestine, things are a whirring, it's every nutrient for itself, but then once they arrive in the colon, there's a sudden gridlock. Perhaps they dropped their colonic ez-pass back in stomach. Went by so fast you know.
If there are 5 high amplitude peristalic contractions then it won't produce diarrhea. You need 8 of those to produce diarrhea. But it is faster than normal and could lead to some undigested material and cause gas. Lets say inspite of the colonic ez-pass, the traffic delayed them
quote: quote: Thirdly diffusion of gas from blood to lumen is determined by visceral tone Oh, visceral tone acts like a ziplock bag. Wonder if we can see the color change--what's it yellow to green?--on an x-ray.
You can change visceral tone by a spastic relaxation. I amn sure you can see the color change in a metaphorical sense on an x-ray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.