Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IBS-D for about 10yrs, keep it pretty much in control with diet. Since christmas though I have a huge flare-up of gastritis. I'm already on prilosec and take pepto, but I can't seem to get rid of the acid. Can anybody suggest something else I can try? My stomach just rumbles and gurgles all day like a volcano.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
My indigestion started in my 20s from diet, drink, and cigarettes. It got worse in my 30s, which ended with a massive attack of something (I was working at a gold mine, too far to call a doctor) which my doctor later figured was gastritis. Then the D started as a daily feature in my life. Finally my indigestion was so severe that the burning lasted all day every day and I began to have reflux. In July of 1998 I began taking a flavonoid supplement called Provex CV for my cholesterol. It turns out that it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Within a couple of months, that burning disappeared. Indigestion stopped. I have never refluxed again. And my D came under control over the following year. I don't use any OTCs and no longer have to modify my diet. And my cardio risk has dropped from 50% to 2%.I can't say if this would help you or not; but if you suspect inflammation it ought to be worth a shot.Mark

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I know this sounds too simple....but I have recently found that TUMS Smoothies (Peppermint) with 750 mg of Calcium Carbonate zaps my heartburn real quickly and also firms up my BM's. It does however contain sorbitol so if you are extrememly sensitive to that ... I wouldn't bother. But even though I have IBS D I am not all that sensitive to the sorbitol. So something you can try...Hope you feel better!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for writing back. I will go out and get those tums now, haven't taken tums in years. Where can I get the Provex CV - Vitamin World? I'll try anything. I haven't been to the doctors because I don't have good health insurance right now and on limited income. Figured I would try OTC stuff first, maybe even Ensure drink which has worked in the past. THANKS AGAIN!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts