Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just recently been diagnosed with IBS... I have mostly normal symptoms, bloating, inconsistent bowel movements, abdominal pain, urgency, etc. (pretty much everything except I don't usually get constipated, and I never have mucous in my stools) Just from the reading I've done (I haven't seen and gastroentologist yet), it seems like I have IBS-PI; before I got food poisoning from poorly cooked meat, I actually had a pretty strong stomach. That was about 2 and a half years ago, and my symptoms have gotten worse since.However, one thing that I've been trying to figure out is whether or not it's normal for IBS-ers to be extremely prone to food-poisoning-like symptoms after eating unfamiliar or unclean food. Sometimes I get violently sick from a meal where everyone else is fine. Last weekend I ate traditional Chinese food (which is unfamiliar food to me) at a restaurant that wasn't the cleanest place in the world. Everyone else (15 people) was fine, but I had violent diarrhea that wouldn't stop even with the maximum dose of immodium.... Anyways, just wondering if it's normal for IBS patients to have incredibly weak immune systems in the gastrointestinal tract. So far I've tried cutting lactose out of my diet, metamucil, and peppermint pills. Only the fibre seems to help a little, although I continue to take lactase enzyme pills. My doctor just prescribed Domperidone (is this generally a good treatment?), and I've started taking a very detailed food/symptom journal. I don't really have any safe foods at this point, although non-gassy vegetables seem to be fine. What do people think of probiotics for this type of thing? Also, I'm a really easygoing person so I don't really have that much stress in my life, so I'm thinking antidepressant-type drugs would not help me, but maybe I have the wrong idea about them? Just looking for any advice, since this seems to be the only trustworthy place on the internet for it. Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
So I've just recently been diagnosed with IBS... I have mostly normal symptoms, bloating, inconsistent bowel movements, abdominal pain, urgency, etc. (pretty much everything except I don't usually get constipated, and I never have mucous in my stools) Just from the reading I've done (I haven't seen and gastroentologist yet), it seems like I have IBS-PI; before I got food poisoning from poorly cooked meat, I actually had a pretty strong stomach. That was about 2 and a half years ago, and my symptoms have gotten worse since.However, one thing that I've been trying to figure out is whether or not it's normal for IBS-ers to be extremely prone to food-poisoning-like symptoms after eating unfamiliar or unclean food. Sometimes I get violently sick from a meal where everyone else is fine. Last weekend I ate traditional Chinese food (which is unfamiliar food to me) at a restaurant that wasn't the cleanest place in the world. Everyone else (15 people) was fine, but I had violent diarrhea that wouldn't stop even with the maximum dose of immodium.... Anyways, just wondering if it's normal for IBS patients to have incredibly weak immune systems in the gastrointestinal tract. So far I've tried cutting lactose out of my diet, metamucil, and peppermint pills. Only the fibre seems to help a little, although I continue to take lactase enzyme pills. My doctor just prescribed Domperidone (is this generally a good treatment?), and I've started taking a very detailed food/symptom journal. I don't really have any safe foods at this point, although non-gassy vegetables seem to be fine. What do people think of probiotics for this type of thing? Also, I'm a really easygoing person so I don't really have that much stress in my life, so I'm thinking antidepressant-type drugs would not help me, but maybe I have the wrong idea about them? Just looking for any advice, since this seems to be the only trustworthy place on the internet for it. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Welcome to the board. One thing you will find is that there are lots of differing opinions both here and everywhere else, including those doctors. This is probably because nobody knows what causes IBS and treatments may work well for one person but not for the next. My advice to you would be to do as much research as you can and work through different ideas until you find ways of managing your condition.I would suggest that you firstly make 100% sure that you actually have IBS. You asked the question if IBSers get sick when others don't, my answer is that I don't believe so and for this reason it may well be that you don't have IBS. There are a number of conditions that mimic IBS. I would suggest that you get tested for parasites and bugs such as giardia, campylobacter, c.difficile, hookworms, helicobacter pylori etc. You said that you got sick and then didn't get better so it could be that you still have a pathogen or parasite in your body. This would definitely be my first port of call.Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.