Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have predominatley IBS-C and already have a very, very retrcited diet. I have decided to try to change it cuz I am stil having so many problems. My first question is which is better for IBS, insoluble or soluble fiber? I am trying to now elimenate white flour and refrinded sugar from my diet. White flour prodcuts are basically all I eat and after reading other people's ideas I think that might be part of the problem. I also eat margarine with everything! Are there any safre alternative to margarine/butter? I am looking into cooking with olive oil, but what can I put on toast? I am also looking for suggestions on foods to try with regard to my new diet changes. Presently I can eat: chicken, bread, rice, cereal, oatmeal, carrots and soup. Things I can not eat are: most dairy, anything with any spice, greasy or fried foods, peppermint, chocalate, caffiene, fruits or anything with citirc acid, vegetables (ive learned to tolerate small amounts of carrots), artificals flavors (additives), tomato products, meat other than white chicken, carbonated beverages, white flour, refrinded sugar you get the idea?? Any suggestions anyone has fitting these diet restrictions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
this might sound like heresy around here but i think dietary control of ibs is very over rated. if anything i'm about to post is different than what was suggested to you by your doctor please ignore my post. i take it you are a young person; i would encourage you to begin a healthy and regular exercise program and eat what ever you like in moderation. i would supplement your diet with foods high in fiber and try to eat fruits and vegetables whenever you can. metamucil would be a helpful additon as well. drink plenty of water. i would try to relax and let your body get used to this routine and see if it helps. try not to fixate on your difficulties because now is the time to break any bad life patterns. good luck and remember that if what i posted is contrary to your medical advice forget you ever read it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
White flour can be problematic as it causes gas. Starches (other than rice starch) often get into the colon where the bacteria eat them up and make gas.With IBS-C usually the main problems with foods are lack of fiber and problems with gas. Often times the gas problems get better when you get the stool moving through at a better rate.Insoluble fiber (bran) is non fermentable and cannot create gas. Some people will do better with this than with soluble fibers, but it is an individual thing. Of the soluble fiber supplements the ones with psyllium are fermentable fibers (can cause gas in some people) and the others (methycellulose and polycarbophil) are not fermentable.Probiotics can help alot in some people if gas is causing problems.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
880 Posts
For me, the amount of food is more important than what I eat. I do well with 5-6 small meals a day, 200-400 calories in each meal. I also spend a little extra for good food -- skinless chicken breasts, very lean cuts of beef, salmon filets. I do have some triggers, like hamburgers, french fries, pizza, but overall as long as I eat small amounts of food I am okay. Keeping a food journal is the best way to find this out -- I kept one for 3 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts