Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - i'm new to this site and deperate for help and advice. I have been suffering with IBS for about 10 years - constipation predominant. About 3 years ago i gave up smoking and this set off severe IBS with swelling, bloating and constipation. I gave up for about 8 months and within that time had endless tests at the hospital - i tried all sorts of medication which did help but then sent me the other way - as soon as i would have a bowel movement the whole cycle would start up again! Needless to say i started smoking again as i couldn't take the pains anymore!Recently i have met a new partner and fell pregnant (unplanned) i am now 4 months and am constantly trying to give up smoking, with worse IBS than last time. The doctors don't know how to help and i get conflicting advise from them and the midwife's. They have referred me to a consultant - which may be a few weeks away yet!I am incredibly aware of the risk to my unborn child of smoking and have never wanted to give up more. I'm keeping a smoking to a minimum just to keep the pains at bay but i am constantly upset at the thought of smoking! My last attempt at giving up lasted a week and i became more unwell than ever with the IBS. The doctor prescribed movocol - which i get conflicting advise on whether this is harmful for pregnancy. Anyway even that didn't work and about 3 days in i could not eat at all with severe bloating and cramping that made me fear i was losing the baby! Within an hour of a cigarette i had a normal bowel movement. However i am still suffering from the effects of a severly inflamed bowel/abdomen with bad stomach and back ache and have not been able to work because of it. The midwife can't condone smoking but she was very shocked at my appearance!I wanted to enjoy my pregnancy and have the opportunity to breastfeed but i feel like all my choices have been taken away because i feel trapped to smoke, I am also scared that the bloating and cramping is worse than the smoking! I am very confused and wondered if anyone had any advice?I gave up smoking 3 years ago using hypnotherapy and went back for them to use it for my IBS but it didn't work. Has anyone else tried any other forms of treatment such as acupuncture? I just feel that medication may not be the answer in pregnancy but i would be so grateful for any advice!ThanksCheryl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow Cheryl !At the risk of getting boohed left and right , I will tell you that in 1972 when I got pregnant my doctor who waas a smoker herself told me that smoking had nothing to do with the baby, we did not know any better then , by 1980 I did not smoke for my second pregnancy, however despite the smoking my firsborn weighted 9 lbs 4 ounces and at 37 years of age is still very healthy , mind you I ate well and took my vitamins, I would say that the drugs from big pharma are equally if not more dangerous , it looks like you are between a rock and a hard place , try to cut down as much as you can but if this is the only thing that helps maybe you should not fight it , stress on your system is equally bad for your baby.I never heard of smoking for IBS , I read studies where it helps colitis and I believe that there are other ways to get the nicotine in your system besides smoking but I forget what the study said , maybe you could google it .Wishing you all the luck whatever decision you make ,Micheline

·
Registered
287 Posts
Have you tried an electronic cigarette. Some people are finding this more successful than nicotine replacement. Congrats on your pregnancy-maybe hormones will help settle things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts