Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most people with IBD develop colon cancer??I have occult blood in stool---does this mean cancer----I am terrified!My Doctor say's probably from hemmohoids! Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS-D means no increased risk of colon cancer.Copying my post from the other thread you started.
Virtually NO ONE under 50 has colon cancer.Doesn't matter if you have IBS or not.If you have any sort of anal irritation or eat even a bit too much iron (food or supplement) you can have a false positive on the blood in stool test.Lots of people with IBS have internal hemorrhoids that will bleed from all the stool issues. That is like 99.9999% more likely to be why there is a trace of blood in the stool than cancer if you are under 50 and there isn't a family polyp disease (1/2 your relatives have colon cancer before 50).Do you have a lot of issues with anxiety/health anxiety? Are you getting treated for that?http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?s...=116634&hl=
I'm assuming you meant IBS-D not that you have ulcerative colitis and if you have an IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) not IBS (and I assume you do not) the blood is usually from the Inflammation, not cancer.While cancers do tend to leak, there are many many many many other much more likely things this is, and I agree with your doctor it is probably internal hemorrhoids as most everyone has them, and IBS really will get them to bleed every so often. Some people with IBD are at increase risk of cancer, BUT usually you miss the small amount of occult blood from all the very obvious bloody diarrhea when it isn't well controlled.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Katholeen!!!!I am not under 50, I am 63years old!Have had Ibs-d most of my life!I appreciate your input! Will hang it on my bulletin board to remind me to calm down!Yes, I have severe anxiety disorder & panic attacks, and I am being treated. Thank You, Trish

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
At 63 I would just make sure you are on schedule for your regular polyp screenings, but other than that try to keep the cancer fear out of your head.Assuming everything must be cancer is really problematic when you have anxiety because all of the symptoms of cancer tend to be subtle and extremely common for tons of other disorders. So you can basically turn every symptom into a cancer scare and most of the other things are a lot more common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.