Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI have been suffering with IBS for around a year now. I have been controlling the IBS with Merbentyl and diet control with varying results. I have good days and bad days but the bad days are awful. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm starting to lose hope and I'm not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Welcome Tictac Glad you found us!There are many things you can try. For many of us it isn't all about food. Have you read "Linda's Calcium" thread?Taking calcium carbonate has been known to help firm up D. Also have you looked into using imodium (or other anti-diarrheals)? It can help many of us to take it with meals, preventatively. Some of us find that a whole tablet is too much...so we break them in half or even quarters. Imodium can inicrease some cramping for some people, so taking it with an anti-gas product, like simethicone, can really help. Also using peppermint for spasms or cramps can help. Either pepermint tea or capsules. Also if you suffer from nausea... ginger tea or capsules can help.Also if you haven't tried a probiotic... some folks find they help quite a bit. (Brand names like Align etc..)Some find hypnotherapy helps tremendously. (Statistically speaking about 75 to 80% of folks who try it find improvement in their symptoms! See our CBT/Hypnotherapy Forum for more info)Symptom management is possible.. but we are all different so it can take a bit of trial & error to find what works best for each of us.Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
To add to BQ's list, I have controlled mine for over 10 years with a flavonoid supplement that seems to have anti-inflammatory properties. Being hardnosed about trying these kinds of treatments can yield remarkable results. Good Luck.Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.