Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Does anyone know of any safe products that can act as a stimulant without harming the colon? I know to stay away from senna, but is there anything else that works?Thanks

·
Registered
597 Posts
you could try aloe vera juice. Follow directions on the bottle. You can get it at any GNC or nutrition store.Good luck to you------------------It can only get better from here I hope!Sandi

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Nemo, and welcome to the Board. Generally I can keep myself from C if I make sure to get enough fiber, fruits, veggies, and drink plenty of water. Have you tried any of these things yet?What tests have you had done so far, and what did they say? I noticed in your other post that you have to take a suppository to get things moving. How often do you actually go? I alternate C & D, and when I get C, which is probably about every 3 weeks now if I'm careful, by the end of the second day I take Docusate Sodium, the stool softener, not the laxative.I'm not really sure what else to suggest at this point! Maybe after you tell us a little more about yourself, we can come up with more ideas.
JeanG

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been having success with Magnesium pills---taking 250mg 2x a day for a few weeks now--and it stops my C !!! It does make my mouth dry and a funny taste but I want to see if that passes with more use. I go about 4am and then I take my Lomotil so I don't get D--I am both C & D---Hope you have some luck!------------------trish

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses! before I ask for more advice, I'll brief you on my condition
I'm a definite C type, and I, too, take magnesium supplements daily. I find that it certainly makes everything much softer, and I also have noticed that dry feeling in my mouth. However, I still have difficulties actually having a bowel movement, for I fear the muscles along my colon need a sort of stimulant. Thanks to someone's kind response, I have purchased some aloe vera juice. Does anyone know the best time of day to take it? on an empty stomach, or does it really matter? Do you think it might work? I would appreciate any additional info!

G

·
Stimulants like senna should not be taken on a regular basis, but once in a while when nothing else is working is probably okay. I use an herbal colon cleanse with cascara sagrada in it when this happens. It's the only thing that really works for me. I am going to try magnesium again though. I take some for my fibromyalgia, but when I tried taking large doses before it gave me headaches. I'm going to see if I can find a lower dose and try again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I take 500mg magnesium amino acid chelate with fibre (methyl cellulose) and find the cocmbination reasonably effective. I am also trying Ibsacol at present and some days it seems to be helpful. A little while ago there was a long thread on laxatives started by Rose (I think) and it is valuable reading! Lactulose is a safe laxative to take in the long term but can cause gas and wind, so is not good if you already have a problem with these. Senna and cascara are safe for occasional use but not advisable for every day. Senna if used chronically can lead to paralysis of the nerves in the bowel - what a scary concept!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts