Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site, and this is the only way I feel comfortable discussing it. I suffer from diarrhea pretty much all the time. I have to go to the toilet 3-4 times a day. I have been to the doctors and had stool, and blood tests and they tell me there is nothing wrong. i dont really get much warning before needing the toilet, and it controls my life. I dread having to stay away from home, and going places that i know i cant go to the toilet without causing embarrisment, or having to spoil my day. If anyone ANYONE can help me out in any way with anything that can help me go on with my day better. I would be extreamly greatful. Im sick of having to spend my student life checking to see if there is a decent toilet around. thanks for taking the time reading this.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi phixon and welcome to the BB. Sorry you are having a bad time. You will find a lot of good information here. Have you looked at Linda's Calcium info at the top of this page? A lot of people who are D have had some good success with this. Have you tried keeping a food diary to see if there's anything which might be a trigger? Some people find that stress/anxiety plays a part in their IBS. One thing, we are all different and what works for one person might not work for another. Read through the different forums, make notes, discuss with your Dr if there's any meds you think might be worth trying. Sometimes it can be trial and error. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I do have alot of milk in my diet, i tried cutting it out but its in everything!!! Does anyone know of certain fods to stay away from and which to try. I assume i need to have a low fibre diet? I feel that it is food that is doing it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read through the whole calcium diet thread and understand how it works etc. Yet im not fully sure what a calcium carbonate is, where i get them, if there are any foods that act like it etc. Im really confused. All these methods are alot to take in at once. Im 18 and not the sharpest tool in the box, i dont understand what the medical terms for everything are. I really am lost! I am up for trying the calcium diet, if someone would be kind enough to explain it,and how i would go about it. thank you

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are various forms of calcium that are in calcium supplement in the vitamin aisle at the store.Everyone needs somewhere around 1000 mgs a day and up to 2000 mgs of Calcium a day is safe (you want to add up both your dietary and supplement together).Usually with milk it is the lactose so only things with substantial amounts of milk are a problem.How people use Calcium Carbonate.Go to the store and Get Caltrate or the store brand version of it. Get the stuff without any added minerals (usually pink box, although some do OK with the purple box) Take from 1/2 a tab to 1 full tab with each of three meals a day. Some people need less some need more.Works for people with diarrhea predominate IBS to reduce diarrhea.On fiber. Regardless of stool consistancy some people do better on more fiber, some do better on less. You have to try for yourself to find out which one you are. There is no good way to guess before trying.K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I eat alot of cerial, should i change to soya milk? I will get some calcium substitute tomorrow. Is there a lenght of time that i should expect before it takes affect? I feel that high fibre could be the cause.I would also like to say that you guys are doing a great job on this site, thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was actually told by a gastroenterologist that Fibercon works. He said to take two in the morning. He also said it was ok to take them every day. I had some luck with this, but only for about 3 weeks. Maybe you will have better luck. The active ingredient in it is Calcium polycarbophil. I am assuming that is related to calcium carbonate.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Soy milk worked better for me personally, and I actually developed a taste for it after awhile.. It's definitely an aquired taste.. well, at least I think it is.High fiber for me was a 'no go'. I suffer from IBS-"D"Some with D enjoy and do well on high fiber diets.. Soluble fiber seems to be easier on IBSers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi fibre for me was a definite no no, I have IBS D and find that if I eat any breakfast cereal i'm stuffed! I was in France once and had a full blown reaction, hives, swelling and breathing difficulties after eating some. Never did find out what exactly caused it. Oh and interestingly, calcium carbonate is common or garden chalk. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi PhixonI use soya milk on my cereal. I can't eat a high fibre diet as it gives me the runs. I had it very bad - would go up to 30 times a day sometimes which would leave me physically drained and unable to go out anywhere.After doing a food diary I found I can not eat the following:eggs or anything containing egg yolk or egg white, cheese, milk, cream, coffee, tea, alcohol, all vegetables apart from peas and carrots, all fruit apart from apple, beef, pork, oily fish, things with a high sugar content, and anything high in fibre.It's a nightmare shopping as I have to read all the labels, but I pretty much know now what I can and can't eat.I also take digestive enzymes with each meal, otherwise I get stomach pain. I also have calcium tablets and Acidopholus with Bifidus Tablets.I am 80% okay now and the 'D' attacks have reduced so much that they happen only every few weeks or so and I can pretty much control these by taking 2-3 imodium tablets a day until it's gone.It's the psycological problems it causes that I find hard to brush off. If I need to go anywhere I am still controlled by thinking where the nearest toilet will be and the worry of having an 'accident' when I am out. It's very hard to break the habit as the condition can be very controlling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i find the psycological side to it is also a real anoyance. I will start a food diary. So you note down what you have eated, and it you have a reaction, you can narrow it down to the foods you have eaten that day, then down again etc. yeah?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would see if your doctor could refer you to see a nutritionalist as they could do a diet sheet for you.I did it myself as I couldn't stand the idea of sitting in a waiting room or being in a clinic when I was havign so many 'D' attacks at the time. It would make me anxious and my symptoms worse. I would have to take a whole packet of imodium just to get out the door!Just start of with something very bland and basic, and don't have too many things in one go otherwise you may have a problem discovering which food item it is. I ate the same meales for 2-3 days and if I was okay, then I moved on to a different menu. With eggs, the problem is almost immediate for me, but with other foods, it can take a couple of days before they take effect, hence why you need to eat the same menu for 2-3 days. Apparently if you have an almost immediate reaction then you have a food allergy. Of it takes a day or two, then it's a food intolerance.Write down everything, and I mean everything, that you eat and drink. It's really worth it. I certainly learnt over a period of weeks which foods were the trigger foods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks jenny for your replys. I will start writtig it down on wednesday, as i dont have time to organise it tonight for tomorrow. I brought some calcium. my pharacist couldnt really find any anything except something for heart burn and indigestion, but each chewable tablet contained 800mg of calcium, so what exactly is the dosage i ned to take, (i know everyone is different, but i need a guidelinei will go find out what exactly the brand is when i get home and post it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, forgot to ask, if these are correct, how many should i take, and when. How does it even help. I feel so dumb! Im new to all these methods, I didnt even know there were ways that could help you cope.!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You don't have any just regular old Tums where you live? around here most of the regular old Calcium supplements in the supplement aisle tend to be Calcium Carbonate.I'm not sure how what you have would be different, but it would be worth a try.But I'm suprised that there aren't just plain old standard Calcium supplements made with Calcium Carbonate where you live.Calcium compounds are used as antacids (like Tums) as well as calcium supplements.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.