Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently been told that I have IBS. Any advice on control and diet would be very much appreciated. I am very new to all of this and have been given that much advice from "non sufferers" in particular that I am very confused. Would appreciate some help from people who know what their talking about.Is there any good books? x

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi MadgeI am a 52 year old female who has lived with ibs diarrhoea for over 30 years.My best advice to you is to go onto .. - this site will give you lots of relevant advice and also has message boards which are excellent and also recipes.This site is also good - if you search through you will probably find a lot of relevant topics to your situation.Oh, and as far as advice from people wo do not suffer - I would "politely" ignore them.Judith

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JudithThank you for your message, I have been doing a lot of reading on the various topics on this site, which I have noted. I suppose its just trial and error as far as the diet is concerned.But its nice to know there are other people out there who have similar problems who I can ask questions as and when I need too. What do you take for Ibs? Doctor has given me FibreGel and Colofac tablets. I Find FibreGel a bit hard to take as I find it very sickly and the tablets do not seem to work very well. Im supposed to be going away this weekend but I just feel sick, tired and still find myself running to the toilet in the mornings! I am only 31 years old and feel 99! Is there anything else you can think of that I can take? x much appreciated

·
Registered
348 Posts
MadgeThat is why I have referred you to ..,[/URL] so that you can look at all the suggestions for diet, soluble fibers, various supplements. The lady who has set this site up, Heather, has suffered herself for years and it is out of her own experience that she has created "safe" recipes, "trigger" foods, etc. etc.Personally, I try to follow Heather's diet, I take a soluble fiber everyday and acidopholus. Calcium supplements are also used to try and halt the d.You will find out about this and much more on Heather's site. Please take time to read it - she has recently put together a "Cheat Sheet" of trigger foods, etc. If you are interested she has also written two books which are also very helpful and she sells a few supplements on line. I get my soluble fiber from her. Also, peppermint capsules, and teas are used a lot - good for cramp, pain, bloating (I think).I had my gallbladder removed at your age and for a while the ibs calmed down but unfortunately that did not last and after 30 years of "pulling my hair out" I have now found Heather's site and this one and have been very pleased with the advice. (no, I'm not on commissions from her - sounds a bit like I am doesn't it?!!)I am just so thankful to at last find some positive help and to know that actually I am not on my own which is how I have felt for years now.I do also have Immodium (for diarr.) which I take when needed.Happy surfingJudith

G

·
Madge: I have had IBS for over 25 years and have suffered through this terrible disease. Finally after years of frustration, I found a doctor who has helped me. He put me on Robinal Forte, a muscle relaxor and Prevalite, a powder that you mix with juice. I am a totally new person!!! It truly works! Good luck. Donna
quote:Originally posted by Madge:Hi JudithThank you for your message, I have been doing a lot of reading on the various topics on this site, which I have noted. I suppose its just trial and error as far as the diet is concerned.But its nice to know there are other people out there who have similar problems who I can ask questions as and when I need too. What do you take for Ibs? Doctor has given me FibreGel and Colofac tablets. I Find FibreGel a bit hard to take as I find it very sickly and the tablets do not seem to work very well. Im supposed to be going away this weekend but I just feel sick, tired and still find myself running to the toilet in the mornings! I am only 31 years old and feel 99! Is there anything else you can think of that I can take? x much appreciated

·
Registered
348 Posts
DonnaOver here in the UK Prevalite is known as Questran. I am thinking of giving it a go because in 1994 when I had my colonoscopy the Surgeon told me that some people who have had their gallbladders removed (mine was removed in 1983) suffer from a bile salt problem and that I could take Questran for this. I did not take him up on that but recently have been wondering about trying it because it also lowers cholesterol and I have problems with that (as well as high blood pressure).Are you on any other medications? What sort of side effects did you experience when you started taking the Prevalite? and has it really been that wonderful for you?? As you are a fellow sufferer of many years I am interested in how you have managed to control it.Many thanksJudith

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Madge,Heather's advice is indeed good (although her advice to eat potatoes does not work for me). If you want an insoluble fiber supplement that's less expensive than the stuff on her site, get Citrucel -- you can get it at any grocery store, or it's cheaper at a price club like Costco -- I take 6 pills (3g fiber) every day, or they have powder too if you want to mix it into water.Also, get exercise and take calcium supplements -- the Victaviv chews are delicious, they're chocolate-flavored!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts