Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My problem is my anxiety. Its so high all the time that im sick all the time. The thing is, for most people they are nervous if they are at a place where there is no bathroom but for some reason i have this fear that i cant use any bathroom but my own. When im sick, instaed of looking for a place with a bathroom I panic and find someone to take me home. Does anyone else feel this way?? I have to get over it or im going to be scared forever. xoxo Liz

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are ways to treat the anxiety, so you don't have to be afraid forever.Talk to your primary doctor and see if you can get a referal, preferable to someone who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and/or see if you may be a good candidate for medication (and some people do the medication with the therapy and the combo can be quite effective....the drug helps you while you learn how to cope with the anxiety...kinda like having training wheels).Also you can check out (use the hop to or from the main bb section) the CBT, Anxiety and hypnotherapy section of this bb.K.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Liz, Yes I'm sure many of us can identify with you on getting heebeejeebees while out in public. No I'm not crazy about using a public restroom, but hey I'll take it if that is all there is. Running home isn't always an option. I think though perhaps you have the right idea. If you face the fear & go out with the expectation of having NO IBS problems you will not have to worry about running home. I've noticed if my anxiety level is low I do not have as many flare ups. I'm currently using hypno therapy, & that has helped my lower my anxiety. It was pretty low with going out in public before I started but I had other anxiety issues that I believe it is working on. Check out the CBT Anxiety, Hypnotherapy Forum down at the bottom of the page here by "Hop To". Lots of info & support there.Also perhaps you could discuss using an anti-anxiety med with your Doc. Don't be shy, let the Doc know how this is impacting your lifestyle. There IS help if you ask for it.Liz, you are young yet & I applaud you for having the courage to educate yourself on IBS, so you will be lots better off than us older folks who just put up with symptoms for years because this place didn't exist & we were too embarrassed to talk to the Doc. Now partly because of sites like this one IBS is out of the closet. Read everything you can here & in the other forums & ask your questions. Don't give up!!!You are on the right track. Nailing down that anxiety will probably have a very positive effect on your symptoms. So you keep at it girl!!!
BQ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts