Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I'm kinda new - well, new to posting. I've been lurking for a while, but haven't posted because, well, I haven't felt that I had anything particularly inspiring to offer!So I feel a little guilty that I'm only posting now cos I need some advice and support.Basically, I haven't a clue what's wrong with me! I went to the dr's twice last week. My main and biggest symptom is an overwhelming nausea which, incidentally, never leads to vomiting. So, the doctor's aren't really that worried. I have had alternating bm's on and off for years, so it's always just been assumed that I have IBS. I have more recently had bloating and pains as well. All of this I can handle. It's this nausea. Sometimes I am gritting my teeth it is so bad. Is this really a symptom of IBS?? It's ruining my life and I'm really quite desparate. The doctor's think it's anxiety, but the only think I'm anxious about is feeling sick all the time!!! Grrrrr.Sorry for the long first post!!Any advice much appreciated

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello and happy new post! I've had nausea without physically being sick. It's a horrible feeling, I know. I was getting it daily at one point, and was at the end of my tether. What I associated with it was eating a lot of cheese. Being vegetarian, I was eating cheese all the time! lol Not very adventurous I know. But anyway, I limit myself to one meal with cheese in a day, and my nausea has all but disappeared. Something to thing about anyway! xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had my gallbladder checked out. I haven't really had anything checked out, to be honest. A few blood tests etc. but that's about it. I have a dietician. Don't believe in intolerances etc. so I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The nausea may be more related to something in the upper GI tract rather than directly a part of the IBS (a lot of people have both things so a lot of people with IBS can have nausea).Depending on the circumstances of the nausea they may need to check various things. (like does your stomach empty properly)Ginger (capsules or tea) often help with nausea and might be something to try while getting it sorted out.K.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi HippyI to get the nausea feeling but yet I never throw up. I get it if the pain and spasams are really bad, sometimes I think if I would just throw up I would feel better. I have asked my doctor about this and he says it is just another symptom that is brought on from the pain, and bloating, and spasams.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Hippychick.I really do empathise. I was plagued with severe nausea (though very rarely actual vomiting) for almost a year before being diagnosed with IBS. The Dr's just didn't know what the matter was and with every trip I was more and more reluctant to go back because I would just be met with the same blank faces. However, eventually I had to move and saw a new doctor who was great and really proactive. He sent me for tests and eventually I was referred to a consultant gastroenterologist who diagnosed me. So yes, nausea can be a symptom of IBS- despite what you might hear elsewhere. However, it's best to make sure that the nausea isn't being caused by something else- IBS can mask other conditions so it's important that you know what you're dealing with.My advice is to persevere- keep going back to Dr's and make it as clear as you can that the nausea is not acceptable. They tried telling me it was a bug, anxiety, indigestion, 'all in my head' etc. I would break down in floods of tears every time I saw the Dr because I was exhausted and sick- don't be ashamed if you do too! Just do what they advise, and if it doesn't work- go back and tell them so! Perhaps seeing a different doctor might help? I've moved around a lot since I started getting symptoms and have seen over a dozen doctors for this- and some of them just didn't have a clue and were totally unsympathetic! If you feel fobbed off by your current Dr, it might be worth trying another.In the mean time, there are some things that make me feel better- peppermint helps me a bit, I keep strong mints with me in my bag and drink hot, strong peppermint tea when I feel rough (although if you have heartburn peppermint might not be so good!). Ginger can help too- I found ginger biscuits and ginger ale (I think the bubbles help as well) in particular can be good. I found that I felt sick at meal times and got full very quickly (and my stomach empties normally), so I eat little and often, all washed down with peppermint tea. There are drugs that can alleviate nausea as well- domperidone and cetrizine both worked for me- perhaps your Dr could prescribe you something for the time being?Sorry for the long post- I hope some of the info is useful. I suppose that the bottom line is that I advise you to keep going back to the doctor, regardless of how hopeless you feel and try some home remedies for more short-term help.Keep in touch- let us know how you get on. Good luck.xxx

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
happychick,Is your pain in the center above the belly button and off the the right and do you have pain in your back around the shoulder blade. If so I agree with JudithB get the gall bladder checked.Linda

·
Registered
332 Posts
hey. yep i get this. really would be more pleasant to actually be throwing up! peppermint tea can take the edge off it, make it slightly more bearable. a hot water bottle might help a little as well. beyond that curling up and letting it pass (i find if i have a bucket next to the bed i don't feel the need to keep running for the bathroom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.