Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I need some motivation tips on how to stick to my diet. I've identified most of the triggers for my IBS - wheat, dairy, alcohol, lots of fruits & veggies, fried food, etc... My willpower has been so good in the past. Up until shortly before Christmas (before the stress of christmas exams started), I wouldn't even so much as nibble somebody elses sandwich, pizza, chocolate, etc.., I'd eat healthy meals, make sure I ate every few hours, chewed my food really well, etc... I've got exams coming up though, and with all the stress, I just keep eating things that I shouldn't. I live on campus and don't really like the place Im living in, and none of my friends or family live nearby so I mostly just spend my time studyin in my room (its my final year and i need to do good so i can get accepted for a postgrad!). So early in the year, I got into the habit of eating trigger foods when I knew I wasn't going to be going anywhere for a day or two, because there was nobody around to witness the D, wind, etc... But now, I've just gotten into the habit of eating junk 24/7 in my house in college! I've put on loads of weight because of it, my skin has gotten really bad, my IBS has gotten lots worse, and yet I just can't seem to stop! Like, I'll sit down for an hour or two and write down diet plans and tips from the internet, and then an hour later, something will stress me out, and then my frame of mind just completely changes, and I just binge on anything I can get my hands on..pizza, chocolate, icecream, crisps, etc... I know I shouldn't be buying/eating the stuff at the time, but I just cant seem to stop myself! Most of the time, I don't even enjoy the food. I just eat it for the sake of it, and usually to the point where I feel sick. I'd really appreciate any comments/advice, because it's really getting me down! And please don't tell me that I'm being stupid eating things that I know are going to hurt me because I already know that!! And I know you would think the fact that the food hurts my stomach and has made me gain weight would be motivation enough to stop me, but it just isn't for some reason!! At the time when I eat the food, I can't seem to worry about the pain/weight gain because that's not going to affect me til later. All I seem to focus on is the food itself! I just need help getting back into my strict diet before I've gotten really fat and have made my IBS a million times worse! Thanks in advance for any comments/advice!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't realise that post had gotten so long...sorry!! I guess I've just been hiding my bad eating habits from a lot of people for a while, and I just needed to get it all off my chest. Sorry and thanks to anyone who actually reads my essay!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
With all the love and support (and also with no medical degree), sounds like you have a non-IBS issue you need to deal with.Are you eating to deal with the IBS? Are you eating because its the one thing you can control (which sounds funny because you feel like you can't)?Sounds like you have weak/stressful moments where you give up and just punish yourself.Any counseling services available on campus?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi, Kiki ~
No need to apologize for a longer post -- It's perfectly normal to want to get something like this out of your chest and very health to reach out for help. Glad you did!I can totally relate -- I'm in Grad School and for me it's TV when I'm stressed out. Most of the time I don't even enjoy the shows at all. And i could just watch TV all day and all night. I just watch it for the sake of it because it kinda makes me numb and in that sense lessens the unbearability of my stress... And i do too occasionally eat junk food to numb out the intensity of stress, which of course actually makes it a lot worse...And NO, it's not because we're being stupid that we're doing this. I once read an article on addiction -- I'm NOT saying that you're addicted to junk food -- what I'm saying is that what we're experiencing could be understood by borrowing some concepts from that article. I feel that we did what we did because there's a void to fill (like lack of a support system) and/or a need to avoid something unpleasant even when we know that some things are unavoidable. You mentioned that you're away from family and friends, and this combined with the unavoidable stress of college, could have made junk food the substitute for what you really want/need... And I've been in the same boat as you (living off campus away from classmates/friends, studying all the time, facing thesis/graduation stress).Sorry, I'm not trying to take you apart and analyze you -- what I'm trying to say is, for me once I've understood what my problem was and the reason for me to have this problem, it became easier and easier for me to deal with it. I've had some success in the past year in controling my TV habbits -- I realized that what I needed was friends to talk to and so I've tried my best to keep better contact with my classmates and friends even though I'm not in the same city with them anymore. And with the help of certain really kind people, I've also tried to overcome my shyness and made some new friends both in real life and online. Talking and sharing thesis-writing/academic experiences with them and complaining about grad school life etc have alleviated a lot of my stress -- I mean, there's always going to be stress, but having someone to talk to and share experience with (and encourage and support one another) filled my void of needing such sharing, understanding, and (mutual) support. So then I needed TV less and less. And now I don't want to watch TV unless there's a show that I truly like. And what's good about this way of reducing stress is that I've also found so much inspiration from my interaction with my friends that my academic life is suffering less.I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might want to step away from study occasionally and also take your mind off planning (and then diching your plans) for the strict diet for a while. Instead, you might want to take some weekends off to go home or go to a friend's house/residence hall just to talk and share and complain about school or anything. And try and eat as healthy as possible when you're with them (if your ibs allows you to eat with other people, always remember that you DON'T have to eat what they eat). Or call your family/friends and just chat about anything... ya know... And hopefully it'll work with a little time...Edit: From my experience I feel that one can get rid of bad habits like this by oneself. But like Patience2 said, there's always the option of seeking counselling/professional help just in case. Hehehe... see my post is really long, too
... Hope you feel better and get rid of this bad habbit real soon!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for both your comments. Cherrie, it sounds like you can totally relate to what I'm talking about. I'm glad that you've been able to control your problem and that things have gotten better for you
Last semester, up until christmas, I was completely miserable in college. I hated my house, my IBS was really getting me down, and I just felt so lonely being away from all my friends and family. Last year in college, I lived with friends from home, and I just loved it because we all got on really well and I always had somebody to talk to. This year, I guess I just don't have that same release from the pressures of college and I've found it really difficult to adjust. They live on the opposite side of the city this year, so I don't see them much, and nobody I know lives around the campus. My boyfriends back home too so I really miss him. And I guess it just made me really lonely. So then I started eating junk when I was on my own, and now I find that I actually can't stop myself eating. I tend not to make plans with friends, because I know that I won't really have to worry about my IBS if I just stay at home. Then I get lonely being in my room on my own, so I eat junk and it makes my symptoms worse. So I guess it's all just a vicious cycle. When I go home for weekends, I have no problem sticking to my diet (although my stomach is often sore because of the junk I've been eating during the week), but when I'm in college, I just can't stop myself. I guess that kinda makes it worse too, because I've been able to hide it from my boyfriend and family and they have no idea how bad my eating habits are when I'm away!! They must think it's so strange that I'm putting on weight seein as though I eat nothing remotely fattening when I'm at home
Cherrie, I think you're right that I should make more plans with my friends. I've been spending so much time on my own so that I don't have to worry as much about my IBS, but I realise that that's actually making things worse because it's just making me so unhappy. I do really miss my friends. I think you're right that food is probably just filling that void. I'm going home this weekend (I can't wait!!) so I guess that's a good place to start, and I might make plans to go to the cinema or call over to visit my friends or something next week. I really hope it helps!!Thank you so much for your advice, Patience and Cherrie!! I'm going to do my best to get over this habit by myself.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hiya, Kiki ~
You're very welcome -- glad I could be of some use! Going back home this weekend sounds like a GREAT starting point! And remember "making plans with friends" could, but does NOT have to, involve anything grand, especially when/if you're kinda worried about your ibs -- it can be like giving a friend a call and ask if s/he has time for a quick visit when you're feeling well. Or if you don't feel like physically going anywhere on a particular day, you could still call up a friend and chat on the phone or something. And sometimes it may even be a good idea to ask your friends to come over to your place, if you wish that is
. So, this way you won't have to make ibs too much of a worry. (Hehehe, these are the ways of connecting with friends that's been helping me
, so hope they'll be of some use to you!)Best of luck and keep us updated about your progress! And have a great weekend at home!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am relating to your post right now.I am new to IBS, and having my first food triggered attack. Usually I just eat and I get nauseated of indigestion, so when zelnorm got pulled they put me on a medicine for motility..for gastroparesis. Now that I have been on it I have been less nauseated and had less indigestion, but I ate potato chips and I can't even tell you how much pain I am in.I think eating (especially binge eating) is a challenge for all people during stressful times but it is worse for people with IBS because we have symptoms that go far beyond weight gain.
I don't know how to make this pain go away and I never want to eat anything ever again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.