Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized I had a hemmoriod and I'm freaking out!! I don't know what to do. Last night in the middle of a bowl movement I couldn't close my anus for a couple of seconds. I didn't think much about it, till this morning when I decided to look in the mirror, and I grunted, and I saw a big purple ball come out of my anus!! I know this is graphic but I am freaking out!!! I don't know what to do about this situation!!! I don't know how I treat this either!!!! I'm afraid to go the crapper now, I don't want my colon coming out of my anus. ANyone got any advice?

·
Registered
194 Posts
mangoneinsanefromibs,If it's bleeding or causing alot of pain call your doctor. Your doc can call in a prescription for medications you can use on it. Also a sitz bath in hot water will help. My doc prescribed anusol and anamantal and they helped to reduce the hemmie quite a bit. Hang in there. I know how bad they can be, but they do get better.Take Care,
Joyce

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah of course I notice it, the day after I go to the doctor. Go figure. My worry is with IBC, and especially since I"m closer to the "C" type. Straining usually is necessary. I just got some ointment from walgreens. Says helps shrink and treat pain.I'm not in anymore pain than usual, but the size of the thing is freaking me out. Thanks for the advice, and sorry about freaking out earlier. Never had a hemorrhoid before.Just a few questions: #1. How bad is too bad. When do I need surgury if it is too bad #2. if untreated will they heal on their own and #3. is the ointment enough?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Never use heat. there are Tucks which are small tissue like products you can buy in drugstore. you can put them in the freezer. if you can put you bottom in cold water....like if you had a bedpan and filled with cold water and sat on it. prepH is soothing and helps shrink. swollen = cold. Joann

·
Registered
145 Posts
you have an internal h, which means scads of treatments and little pain. search the net for dghal, irc, rf, banding, sclerotherapy. rf is supposed to be the best but is very new and finding a doc to do it might be difficult. do the research and find a doc. no need to suffer with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice. So you think I Can take care of it without surgery? Between that, IBS, and money, I had the biggest anxiety attack of my life. Its bad when you discover you have a hemmorhoid and can't even go to the doctor cuz your account balance is -9 $. It was horrible today. Yesturday I had found hope and started to calm down, then I discovered that hemorrhoid this morning, and just freaked out. I work 3rd shift, so I sleep during the day, and that was a major hassle. Even after taking 2 sleep aids, I found myself waking up after 3 hours, and then fighting to get back to sleep, half hour here, half hour there. I could acctually feel the pain in my colon getting worse with my anxiety. I had thought about just calling in tonight and staying home.Luckily I managed to make a bowel movement today without much straining. I had taken some citricell in the morning, and then tonight, I did my "Dynamite" technique. It involves a bowel of oatmeal, 2 cups of coffie, 2 liters of water, and one ciggerette. I nearly cleared myself out within two minutes, and no straining. Course the drawback of the "dynamite" technique, is I still feel kind of bloated. But didn't know what else to do.I really gotta find a way to keep my anxiety down or I'm going to have a heart attack soon. I'm going to try this hemmorhoid cream for a week, if it doesn't work, I"m going to the doctor.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
A hemmie is nothing to worry about, there are much more important things to worry about than that. Everyone gets them, its no big deal- honest. Just keep using the cream and it will go down eventually. Some people live with them for years. Uncomfortable, but not life threatening. Dont worry!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't worry. Your worry will do a number on your IBS, although I'm sure you know that. I can tell you all about hemmies. It sounds like you have either an external, or an internal that is now protruding. Is it hard (I mean quite hard to the touch)? If it is, you must see a doctor and will likely need it removed. This would mean it is thrombosed (clotted). If it is not, it will go away sooner or later. They can take anywhere from 1-6 weeks to go away. Soemtimes they stay permanently. Hemmies are VERY common. I think something like 60% of adults experience them, so don't worry. I had surgery on mine but they were only able to remove the worst of them. I have now what they call tags (ones that usually cause little grief, I just have to be careful). Anyway, the most important thing to do is avoid straining. AT ALL COSTS. I do this by using glycerin suppositories. I probably shouldn't but I REFUSE to push much at all By the way, I am not C type). This has worked for me for years, and no these do not lead to a lazy bowel as they simply lubricate things and nothing else. Other tips include warm sitz baths (just sit in a shallow tub with LOTS of epsom salt in it). Keep the area really clean. I use witch hazel. This is an astringent that should help the clot dissolve and increase blood flow. By the way, what a hemmie is is basically a varicose vein in your rectum (internal), or around your anus (external). Blood gets trapped and needs to flow to get out soooo, do not do the cold thing. Cryotherapy is of little use. You want heat. After my mom gave birth she had HUGE roids and the nurses were putting a very hot wash cloth with epsom salt on her bottom constantly. This WILL work. I speak from experience, but it takes time. I found that creams did not help me. I kept the area really clean and dry and that was the best thing for me. If it is painful I reccommend you go to your pharmacy and ask if they have Nupercainal (or some other OTC analgesic) and put that on to numb it. Avoid sitting on cold or hard surfaces, and avoid standing for long periods of time. I wish you the beat. Again, don't sweat it. Join the club, and remember, it is not life-threatening.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx for the advice. here's some more information: Mine is internal, which protrudes when I strain. It is huge! It is like 2 inches in diamater, and I think I may have had it for a long time. I always noticed a mass there, I just never acknowledged it as being a hemmorhoid. I think it may be whats causing a lot of my IBS symptons: Leaving the stools kind of restricted to get out. It is not hard, it is soft and squishy (nasty). IT looks like my brains are coming out of my anus. IT is causing me pain, kinda making me feel like I have to go when I don't. I'll take your advice into consideration. the thing that is freaking me out is its size! Is that something I should worry about? I may go ahead and schedule a docter's appointment soon to see what he thinks about it.He inspected my anus while I was there. He said there was a little hemoraging, but nothing to worry about, though I don't think he realized I had an internal one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Now that it is protruding I would definately go to your doc. Since it won't go back in, that makes you have a stage 4 hemmie, and a large one at that! You may need surgery. I don't want to scare you but it really is worth it! I survived, and am almost as good as new. I feel sorry for you guys in the states (I think that's where you're from). Here in Canada everyone gets healthcare, even though it takes forever to see anyone! Whatever you do, don't go the the ER. That's where it got horrible for me. They lanced it (which you should never do), then it got HUGE and soooo painful and scary. I had to go back 3 times too, each time it got worse and more painful. I pulled some luck out and got into a surgeon within days. I won't lie to you..it was the worst pain of my life for a while, but I am only 26. Also, there's a new surgery out there that is supposed to be much less painful and recovery is supposed to be much faster (I think it's called stapling?). Maybe you could arrange for that. Whatever you do, best of luck! Let me know if you have any more questions. I really feel for you. I've been there.Oh ya, here's some web sites with good info. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hemorrhoids.html http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs10.htm http://www.hemorrhoidinfo.com/index.htm

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man coming up with the money...but I really think I am going to have to go to the doctors for this one. Even after taking DA-IBS, Citricell, Levsin, and Phazyme everyday, I am still having some trouble, and i don't think its all IBS related. Like I said before, this isn't a new hemorrhoid, I just happen to discover this week that the mass that comes out of my rectum when I make a bowel movement...thats not normal, thats something to worry about. And I've probaly noticed it for 2 - 3 years now, just never acknowledged it. And my symptoms have gotten worse over the past or 2 - 3 years. Is there anyway to get rid of an old hemorrhoid that you've had forever? Especially when its this large?I've currently switched to the suppositories, and am taking aleeve for bowel cramping and pain.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.