Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a sonigram on my abdomen and found out I have a hepatic hemangioma (a collection of blood vessels on my liver)... I was told they are mostly benign and that it probably has nothing to do with my IBS by my GI's nurse...Anybody else get a sonigram and find one of these deals on their liver...I read an article about a lady who had some comlications similar to those with IBS as a result of one of these things...I am not too concerned but I just wondered if anyone else has this anomoly?

·
Registered
417 Posts
this probably doesn't help much... but have you ever seen a baby or small child with a raised pink/red "strawberry" birthmark on their skin? Those are also hemangiomas. They're pretty common, don't cause any problems and usually shrink on their own. Just a guess but I don't see how a liver hemangioma could cause IBS-type problems unless it was really big and pushing on the intestine, or obstructing bile flow.have you tried doing a search on it? might find some better info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your the one that posted the pic... I looked at it and I wasn't grossed out at all. You are just a more unique person for having it. I looked at your other pics and I thought you were really attractive. You should wear a swimsuit and be proud of yourself for being the tough girl that you are. You make me feel better just thinking about what you have gone through... I looked up the hemangioma thing... I just wanted to see if anyone on here had one. They are usually benign and only "giant hemangiomas" can actually effect other organs. I don't think this has anything to do with my IBS. I just thought it was a cool subject matter... I have a friend whose daughter had one on her arm...Keep in touch

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, I have exactly the same thing and it was discovered the same way. In fact, most liver hemangiomas are discovered incidentally. They are more common in women, occuring in 7-10% in all women.My hemangioma is even considered "giant" (6 cm). But truly, they are nothing more than clusters of blood vessels and are nothing to worry about. Most never even grow. They are usually asymptomatic and have nothing to do with GI troubles.Stacey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.