Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i AM SURE THAT MOST OF US WITH IBS-C ARE AWARE OF SENACOT. BUT IN THE EVENT U R NOT, IT HAS BEEN OF GREAT HELP IN MANAGING MY CONDITION. IT COMES IN VARIOUS STRENGTHS AND IS TOTALLY HERBAL.bEING ON OXYCONTIN FOR BACKPAIN MAKES THE USE OF THIS OVER-THE -COUNTER MED EVEN MORE NECESSARY. UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS NOT A CURE, BUT IS A HECK OF ALOT BETTER THAN WALKING AROUND FEELING LIKE MY COLON IS ABOUT TO BURST!!!!!!!! ALSO , FIBER CAN BE TAKEN IN CAPSULE FORM AS PSYLLIUM-I PERSONALLY CANNOT DEAL WITH THE Metamucil POWDER. IF YOU HAVE ANTHING THAT WORKS ON IBSC LET ME KNOW. INCIDENTALLY, I HAVE TRIED PEPPERMENT PLUS AND MENTACIN FOR CRAMPING--DOES NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! MY primary mangement weapon is a bland diet, low in sugar and fat and taken in small quantities-boring as hell but it has allowed me to access remissions over a period of many months ( PATIENCE , PATIENCE, Patience ). note---a good sugar substitute with no side effects is the herb called stevia ( get it in clear white liquid )have courage-xo jerry ( IBS for 5 years plus on and off )

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Senna is one of the most caustic laxative herbs yu could put into your body. It is highly addictive to the colon and can wreck your function too many months down the read.Milk of Magnesia is natural and non offfensive to the gut by the way it WILL NOT stretch your colon our of shape the way senns will.If you hae trouble with metamucil try making your dose smaller and take it with more water.I have trouble with a few things too but since I've already had the whoppie experience of needing emergency surgery in places no surgeon even should go, then I'm a believer about metamucil and ot and lots of water.I was alos prescribed Miralax and that is some wonderful stuff.You know, years ago I was Ms. Total Holisitc Gig her self.Today who cares about the great purity anymore.Right now, the appoach t relief seems to be tiny steps of accomplishment and all I can say about THAT is that it certainly does feel good.Kamie

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kamie,Thats some real great information you have there and I totally agree with you, from my own personal experience that senna is the worst thing one can take for constipation as for as dependency and damage to the colon.I have taken excessively hight doses for nearly five years. Of course I started off with the regular recommended amount but one needs more and more until eventually the colon almost stops functioning and the pain is unbearable. But where does one go from here once in this situation? I have tried to reduce the dose but things get worse as I have almost no, motility left at all. I have tried Miralax and MOM and the other healther long term osmotic laxatives but the water builds up in my colon as the muscles are not even strong enough to push it out.Docs said there is nothing they can do and I must just carry on literally destroying my life. I'm convinced there has to be an answer but I dont know what.Anyway, my sincerest recommendation is not to use senna no matter how wonderful you think it is right now, because somewhere down the road it will literally destroy your life. It's powerful, dangerous stuff, that initially makes you believe its working OK, until it stops working, then you're in trouble.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a whole bunch of senokot samples from my Dr. They were sitting by the reception area for months, no one took any, so I helped myself, to all of them. I have two different kinds. one is in a yellow package, the other in an orange/red like one. One is for overnight relief, the other just for relief. I find the overnight one best.Glad you started this thread, thanx.By the way, I didn't know they were herbal. Janine

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
We found this extract combo pill works very well, too, for constipation. In Centrasl and Eastern Europe it is sort of parallel to Pepto Bismol (as far as sales popularity goes) as an OTC supplement for GERD and constipation...also folks have reported it really helps with fat digestion after gall bladder removal...been available about 40 years or so over there so we keep some stocked over here for thay purpose. http://www.leapallergy.com/products1.htm Its a free 30 day trial anyway...if no help, send the unused portion back within 30 days for refund. Very few come back most users reorder.MNL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.