Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to one of these books herbs that can help bowel ""spasms"" are, camomile,lemon balm, peppermint, valerian (a new one on me)Herbs for constipation..aloa vera,dandelion root,ginger, flaxseed, psyllium,
and goldenseal (sound like a name of a battery..Herbs for diarrhoea..slippery elm, goldenseal..Herbs for bloating.angelica root,aniseed,cardamom,cayenne,chamomile, coriander,dandelion root,fennel,ginger,peppermints,and thyme..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks Jools, when I read the thread topic, Herbs, I got the wrong Idea
I had a flashback to my teenage years.LOLBut on a serious note I hope Volatile reads this one. Maybe some of this would help his C

·
Banned
415 Posts
Bang him on the napper!! LOL!! Thats a new one on me!!!!! Have to remeber that one! Simon and friends at work are going through all the old cop show phrases when they arrest people now. At the mo they are working their way through the Sweeney!!LisaP.S. Just to reiterate... i LOVE Slippery Elm!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
You forgot licorice, you know the real licorice not a concoction of molasses,treacle & sugar.I always remembered buying lengths of licorice root for a penny each from the local tuck shop.This was on the way home from my secondary school in England. I chased up some licorice seeds from a herb farm in Queensland 5 years ago, & now harvest my own licorice roots to chew every winter. Thay last indefinately when dry & you can store them in a jar for use all year round.Licorice is very, very good for the stomach,promotes energy & is slightly laxative. NOT TO BE TAKEN by people with heart problemsthough.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do any of you folks in U.K remember PONTEFRACT CAKES?? I dont think I spelled it right but they were real licorice & shaped like large buttons.Something tells me they were produced by monks!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i remember it well snake, my nan was english and she used to give me something but i cant remember what they were called.. you are so right about licorice too when i take it it does the trick, but too many pieces gives me the boak

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Just a note, while valerian relaxes people and is good for a restful nights sleep it can actually cause tummy upsets in some (only know this cause I was recently looking at taking a herbal nerve aid thingy that had it in it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.